Ground Turkey...what to make?

Options
Hey all! I need some suggestions for the ground turkey in my fridge. I've already made a ton of turkey chili and my family is not really into burgers much. I don't have much room in my freezer and need to get it cooked! So, if you have any suggestions or recipes I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Replies

• JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    tacos!!
  • Wendy72
    Wendy72 Posts: 23
    Options
    I make a ground turkey spaghetti with the whole grain noddles. Just watch your serving size when you eat :)

I also make tacos with turkey meat and a meatloaf.
  • lstrachan
    lstrachan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf
  • kitchenfairy
    Options
    I have ground turkey in my fridge too and I'm going to be making Danish Meatballs for dinner with it.
    The recipe is from a clean eating blog that I read.
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-danish-meatballs/

Beyond that, what about a turkey meatloaf? A casserole with stuffing as a topping?
    Just a few suggestions. :)
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My kids love turkey meatballs.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i cooked the turkey with some lower sodium taco seasoning...
    got some whole wheat wraps (la banderita I think, 70 cal each) spread a little light sour cream down the middle of the wrap, put some of the turkey on top of that, added some FF cheddar cheese, fresh baby spinach, fresh diced tomatoes and rolled up like a burrito! Delicious and filling.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Check out my blog www.momvsfood.blogspot.com

I have TONS of recipes for ground turkey.

I recommend unstuffed cabbage or meatballs!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    lasagna or tacos! or add taco seasoning and serve over a little rice and broccoli or corn :)
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Make user DOYOUMEANGREEN's turkey burgers. Here's her original post:

"Here's my recipe for turkey burgers... stays moist and great with fat and calories. Try serving it grilled and sliced over leafy greens, over one side of a well toasted whole grain bun, or on top of a grilled portabello cap.

1 lb lean ground turkey
    1/2 sweet (vidalia) onion, diced
    3/4 large red bell pepper, diced
    about 3-4 generous shakes of garlic powder
    fresh cracked black pepper
    3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
    a shake or two of cayenne pepper (depending if you like spicy or not)

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mold together 4 large patties. Place them in between sheets of waxed paper, freeze 30 minutes before putting on the grill. They are mouthwatering! I also do this with ground chicken.

Another way I love to serve them is with a nice slice of REAL sharp cheddar cheese, and a tiny squirt of the best bbq sauce you can find.

Good luck!! "
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I did a baked penne yesterday with some sausage I had, but ground turkey would work too. It's great because you can fill it full of veggies so you don't need too much meat (I used three sausages and we each ate half and have half leftover, so I figure I had 3/4 of a sausage (if I didn't put it in the casserole, I would have eaten a LOT more than that!)

So I cook the meat, drain whatever fat, take it off the stove and dump it in a casserole dish. Then I put some slightly cooked California Blend in there with the cooked penne, top with sauce and mix it up. I added cheese yesterday because we had calories left over and I love cheese! Add some spices and bake in the oven for around 40 minutes at 375. A full 9x13 casserole dish should feed four very hungry adults (it was actually just a little too much for us and we typically have very big appetites.)

I'm sure that there is a much more concise receipe online! :happy:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Tacos, burritos, meatloaf, spaghetti, sloppy joes, shepard's pie, taco salad, lasagna, put on homemade pizza, etc.
  • quadgirl46
    Options
    I cooked my ground turkey in a pan till brown then I put it in a soft tortilla with lettuce, tomato, low fat shredded cheese like a taco but healthier. Or you could use it in spaghetti sauce like meat sauce and pour it over noodles or whatever u like and its like spaghetti sauce. How about mini pizzas English muffin put spaghetti sauce and turkey and whatever u like on english muffin and its a little pizza. Hope this helps
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    One of our favorites!! I make turkey meatballs, add to the turkey some spices (I like rosemary, garlic and thyme) and make it into balls and brown them in a skillet with a little olive oil. They are great with marinara! I don't eat pasta but sometimes I get the shirataki (tofu and mushroom) noodles to have with it.

The other night I made ground turkey kebabs and my kids loved them. I just added an egg and some seasonings and made them into kind of oval meatballs, stuck them on some wooden skewers with some veggies and broiled them. My crew likes anything on a stick so that was a big hit too! The egg really firmed it up so it stayed on the stick very well. Hubby dipped them in honey mustard. :)
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It works great in meatloaf. I like to use oats instead of breadcrumbs, and saute a bunch of vegetables (adds moisture, which ground turkey needs!). Caramelized red onions are my favorite vegetable addition -- but you can throw whatever you have in there (even chopped steamed carrots for sweetness). A couple of egg whites for binder, and some spaghetti sauce (I make big batches to use on mini pizzas, etc. -- just a can of crushed tomatoes added to sauteed garlic & onions, herbs & salt & pepper, and a splash of balsamic vinegar). Mix some of the sauce in, until you get the right consistency. Shape it into a loaf in a pan large enough to hold it (I don't like to use a loaf pan -- keeps the meatloaf too wet), then spread more sauce over the top. I think I bake it at 375 for 40 minutes... you could use a meat thermometer to make sure that's right! =D

(Sorry -- I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of cook...)
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i have this cassarole bake like dish (under 300 cals) that i found in a cookbook to try....what i can remember is black beans, turkey, cumin powder, cheese, corn bread mix....sorry thats all i got right now....but it sounds good....ill try to post later...if i remember...if anyone wants it, write me a message reminder
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    I know its not super healthy, but you can use ground turkey in a tater bake casserole and its delicious - brown the turkey, pour on a can (or two if you're doing more than a pound), cover with tater tots - bake at 400 for about 25 mins or until the tots are as crispy as you like them! I also like to mix in frozen veggies (into the cooked meat).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Found this recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook. I tried it once and it was pretty good.

Parmesan-Turkey Meatloaf

1 TBSP olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1-1/4 lbs. ground turkey
    4 slices whole-wheat bread, made into fine crumbs
    1/2 cup fat-free milk
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    3 TBSP ketchup
    2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tspn garlic powder
    1/2 tspn dried basil
    1/4 tspn dried thyme leaves, crumbled
    1/4 tspn freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350; spray an 8 x 5" loaf pan with nonstick spray. In a small nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Saute the onion until tender, 4-5 minutes.
    2. In a medium bowl, combine the onion, turkey, bread crumbs, milk, egg white, ketchup, cheese, spices; blend well. Shape into a loaf and transfer to the pan. Bake until browned and cooked through, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Per serving: 181 calories, 9g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 53mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 10g carbs, 1g fiber, 15g protein, 64mg calcium. Makes 8 servings.
  • foyboy
    foyboy Posts: 49
    Options
    My wife makes this great Eat Clean turkey roll meatloaf, made with spinach and low fat cheese - its so good, and hard to believe its good for you!

It's even good cold the next day . . .
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I do tacos, Greek meatballs, or our household favorite, 3-bean turkey chili.

1 tbsp of canola oil (definitely need this if you are using ground turkey BREAST only)
    1 cup of onion, diced fine
    1 lb or 12 oz of ground turkey, chicken or lean ground beef
    1 can cannelini beans
    1 can light red kidney beans
    (you can drain and/or rinse the above cans to reduce sodium and make chili less liquid-y)
    1 can chili beans with sauce - don't drain these because a lot of the flavor is in the sauce
    1 small can (8 or 15 oz) of tomato sauce or diced tomatoes, your choice - my kids don't like the diced tomatoes, so I use sauce
    1 envelope McCormick's mild chili seasoning mix - I used to make my own blend of chili seasoning, but my husband and kids prefer this mild one

In a pot or dutch oven, put the canola oil over medium heat, toss in the onion and a pinch of salt, saute until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Then push the onions to the sides of the pot and add the turkey/chicken/beef to the center of the pan and brown it up until no longer pink, about 10-12 minutes. Add all the beans and the tomato sauce or tomatoes, then add the chili seasoning. Mix until all ingredients are well combined, reduce heat to low and let everything cook together for about 15-20 minutes until it's all heated through.

I top with diced raw onion and 1 tbsp reduced fat sour cream.

When I make it with ground chicken, it's 313 calories for 1/8th serving. It would probably be a little less with ground turkey breast. Add about 30 calories with the onion and sour cream.

My 3 and 4 year old love it with sour cream and cheese.

I'm making the Greek meatballs tonight with ground chicken. It's a little higher in calories per serving with the pasta, but it is one of my husband's favorites. If you want the recipe, I can give you that one, too.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I love to cook it and add some soy sauce and make homemade lettuce wraps!