How to keep cherry/grape tomatoes?

Options
malibu927
malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
I eat a lot of salads and love tomatoes, but it seems like whenever I buy a container they start wrinkling up in 2-3, whether I refrigerate them or leave them out. How can I keep them longer before they spoil?

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to leave them on the counter but out of direct sunlight or heat... good luck. And don't wash them until you're ready to use them.
  • Faye369
    Faye369 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem at all .. I find they keep a lot longer in the fridge in the containers than the big tomatoes do just in the crisper. I don't recommend leaving them on the counter especially in summer (unless you like the little fruit flies) plus I think the heat would make them ripen and wrinkle faster. I do agree that you shouldn't wash until ready to use though.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Refrigerating tomatoes causes a chemical reaction that makes them mealy and flavorless- do not refrigerate them unless you want to sacrifice flavor. On counter out of heat/light is your best bet- maybe eat more in your salads so you finish them in 3 days? Haven't found a method that works well for the smaller tomatoes, so I switched back to Roma.
  • booboox94
    booboox94 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They don't last that long in this house! They're my favourite food ever, eat them like they're sweets! I think they taste better if you leave them out of the fridge, but they probably keep longer if they're kept in the fridge. Can you buy a smaller punnet twice a week so none are wasted? :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Get some of those green bags that keep fruits and veggies fresh in the fridge. They'll keep about 4 times longer and won't wrinkle.