Low carb, Budget- Friendly Desserts?

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
Hi,

I'm looking for recipes for low-cal desserts or portable snacks. Cooked or uncooked is fine but I'm searching for things that use no/minimal fat or oil.

I can't afford to buy a bunch of expensive ingredients.

Some ingredients I have at present:
- Coco powder
- Eggs
- Splenda
-Xanathan Gum
- Soy vanilla protein powder (I can't find protein dessert recipes that don't require fats/raw nuts/or multiple different powders)
- Milk
-Cornflour
- A fiber boost powder made up of oat bran, insulin, brown flaxseed meal, psyllium powder and coconut flour.

I am interested in making new desserts. I can't afford to buy things like raw nuts or organic almond butter this week, but I'm good to buy basic things if needed.

Please let me know if you have any ideas?

Replies

• 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    Oh, and cottage cheese.
    And oats, but I am aiming for low-carb.

I forgot to mention: I'm trying to get out of my habit of drinking tea and hot chocolate at night. Over the course of the day I consume a LOT of liquid (including 2 litres of water, coffee, and my morning protein drink). I think I have bladder problems (I'm seeing a doctor on Wednesday).

I have calories left and enjoy the luxury of a dessert BUT I think a non-liquid dessert, and having it earlier, would reduce me having to get up in the middle of the night.
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    baked strawberries--look it up on pintrest :)

also frozen grapes are like mini popsicles

baked apple slices sprinkled with a cinnamon are delicious
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Cut up melon,whatever you like.I love watermelon & it makes a great breakfast or lunch or snack.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This tastes like a thin eggy crepe.

2 eggs + 2 tablespoons of plain cream cheese
    Use a blender/mixer for about 30 seconds until it's liquid.
    Cook it on a pan as you would a pancake.
    This makes about 5 small-medium pancakes. Very, very low in carbs

I like to eat it with chopped strawberries and blueberries. You can put some whipped cream on top too.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    OP, to me your ingredient list looks like an excellent pudding. Eggs, milk, sweetener, cocoa, and spices.

Slice up some fruit, use a little gelatin, and you got a torte.

For a torte crust, instead of a flour or crushed cookies, you can line the pan with crushed nuts. Walnuts are a bit strong, Macadamia, almond, and hazelnuts are great.

Use some butter. Be not afraid of fat in moderation.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Crème Brulee is delicious & if you wish to make it with 50% Splenda/Sugar then you can cut carbs down even further. (a full recipe only uses 1/2 cup sugar= 26carb per serving) Definitely not a low-cal dessert, but if you have calories to spare, then its worth the indulgence!:love:
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    OP, to me your ingredient list looks like an excellent pudding. Eggs, milk, sweetener, cocoa, and spices.

Slice up some fruit, use a little gelatin, and you got a torte.

For a torte crust, instead of a flour or crushed cookies, you can line the pan with crushed nuts. Walnuts are a bit strong, Macadamia, almond, and hazelnuts are great.

Use some butter. Be not afraid of fat in moderation.

Thanks. Can it be done without gelatin?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love how people suggest fruit for a low carb request. ::flails::

I have a great recipe for mini cheesecakes. Only 4 ingredients:
    * One 8 oz. brick of cream cheese
    * 1 large egg
    * 1/4 cup Splenda or other sweetener
    * 1/4 tsp. extract (Lemon is best but you can also use Orange, Vanilla, etc.)

Put cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and soften for about 20 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into muffin cups lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min. Let them sit for a little bit then put them in the fridge to chill. I think they are better cold. They have 1 gram of carbs each. You can make a double batch if you like them. They are great for breakfast, too. The tops will sink in and they won't look pretty but they taste awesome and the little sunken middles are great for things like sugar free jams if you wish. :)

ETA: If you don't have extract you can probably skip it or use something else handy to give a little flavor. The cocoa powder would probably be excellent but I'm not sure how much you'd want to add. I've also added a fresh raspberry on top of each before baking.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options

Thanks.

Re. Jello. it frustrates me that I can find sugar free jello, and I can find vegetarian Jello, but I cant find sugar free jello that doesnt use beefgelatin.