Please Scrutinise My Weight Loss Plan

Options
Hello all! I've decided that this is the time in my life where I would like to be fit and am truly motivated. It took a while, but one year at university has convinced me that I would like to be a healthy and fit person. After being rather lax about trying to get fit last year, I've taken it into full blown mode and have started using this wonderful website. I am a 5' 6'' male that currently weighs 167lbs (75kgs). I started my regimen (gym included) a week ago at 172lbs (so 5lbs lost). I would like people to scrutinise what I am doing and offer suggestions for improvement (or confirm that I am doing everything properly).

I do cardio for 45 min a day 5x a week. This varies between running (about 8 minute miles) and biking. I also do strength training 3x a week for 20 minutes.

I have decided that a low-Carb diet is how I loose weight and has been working brilliantly it must be said. I love my carbs, pasta, bread, etc, but have finally seemed to be able to eat very few. I know that on low carb diets one is supposed to eat as much fat as one likes, but I am not doing that either.

I've decided that this is the diet regime I am following-
1000-1200 calories a day
As little carbs as possible not to exceed 50 grams per day
A maximum of 50 grams of fat a day

As a result, I am eating a lot of protein- fish, prawns, seafood and chicken. I also am drinking 4 cups of water a day and having about three cups of green tea (and the odd English Breakfast).

Does this contribute to a sustainable way of loosing weight?

Also, I am getting rather tired of eating the same thing day in and day out. Does anyone have a suggestion for a low-carb, low-fat main meal that I could eat other than grilled chicken (or at least a recipe that adds something else)?

Replies

• CateAussie
    CateAussie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi BAO197. Why do you want to lose weight? With a height of 6'7" & weighing 167lbs your BMI is only 19! The suggested healthy weight range for men your height is between 74-100. Eating healthily & getting fitter is always a good idea, but maintaining your weight seems to me like a much healthier option. Cheers, Cate.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    6'7", 167 and eating at 1200 kcal. Not good, dude. That's not enough food.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you chose to restrict fat along with carbs, you won't get the benefits if a low carb diet. Your body will convert all that extra protein into glucose, defeating the purpose.
    That said, I agree with the above posters. You've got a full foot on me and barely outweigh me.
    Troll?
  • BA0197
    BA0197 Posts: 3
    Options
    I do appologise! Slight spelling error!! I'm 5 foot 6 inches! Fixed in original post!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat more food. i'm a 5'5 female, much older than you and i'm losing 2 pounds a week eating 1700-2000 calories a day
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat fats and oils -- butter, nuts, and so on. Seriously, man.
  • Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Don't have any Amazing advice except a good plan is one you can stick with.. Consistency is key ! Keep up the good work
    Mark
  • BA0197
    BA0197 Posts: 3
    Options
    I do typically eat around 40-50 grams of fat a day, which is not inconsiderately less than my stated allotment in the myfitnesspal. If I may ask, what is the amount of fat you would recommend to eat daily.