constipation and diet changes

Options
I made a lot of changes this past week. No soda and only flavored water, (after nearly 11 years of hardly any water and all mountain dew) eating anything I want until I feel like i'm going to explode, to portion control, calorie counting and eating only till satisfied and then water.

anyway, it has been a week and I feel like I am so constipated. Is this normal? I am eating a lot of high fiber rich foods, so that isn't the problem. I am also drinking a ton of water so I know that isn't the problem either. Can changes like this to a diet affect you in this way? It is seriously making me feel bloated and obviously that isn't helpful when it comes to weigh ins and measurements. thank you.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How much fat and oils?
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Your guts will adjust. I boosted the fiber even more, added prunes (recommended by my nutritionist) and over time, it got better. Keep the water up. If the sorbitol in the prunes does not work, there are always sugar free satan bears with lycasin (just kidding).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate helps this as well, but your body is getting adjusted to your new healthy lifestyle.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You'll probably adjust. Caffeine gets things going for a lot of people, so if you have suddenly cut that out (Mt. Dew) it may affect things.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You'll probably adjust. Caffeine gets things going for a lot of people, so if you have suddenly cut that out (Mt. Dew) it may affect things.

Very good point! Probably is not helping things.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    How much fat and oils?

This.
    Fiber, fats & oils are all required.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote to look at your fat intake. This is a common complaint with new dieters - in an attempt to eat healthy fats get cut, and bathroom problems result. :tongue:

Fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do. Make sure you're getting some good fats in your day - nuts, avocados, olive & coconut oils, etc, which are not only helpful at keeping things moving, they are also very satiating and help us feel full longer.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I agree on adding fat. I have been having issues since I've stayed closer to 1200. Went on vacation, ate some fried things, bacon, ice cream for a couple of days -- no trouble in that department. Of course, I wouldn't recommend adding that much fat to your diet just to get things going! One of my tricks is to have 2 strips of bacon, which is only around 80 calories, with one egg in the morning, or sometimes on a salad or in a sliced turkey sandwich at lunch.
  • sheilaq14
    sheilaq14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Find something carbonated. Every time I have given up soda I have had this issue. Good luck!
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate helps this as well, but your body is getting adjusted to your new healthy lifestyle.
    I have a sensitive stomach that never adjusted even after 6 months of a paleo diet. Magnesium citrate worked extremely well for me but I don't think you are supposed to take it longterm.
  • Braz76
    Braz76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi higgins828380,

I have the same problem in my usual diet and when I am eating extremely well. My nutritionist suggested prunes also, same as what CarolinkaCjj suggested. But mine also suggested regular carb eating throughout the day (except dinner, unless I was starving) and drinking lots of water. Here in the land down under, it was suggested to have 3litres of water. I think that’s about 3 quarts in the US? I find using a drink bottle helps me count how much I’ve actually downed. I also find the apple a day work in this department.

I'm also glad to read the other suggestions above.

All the best,
    Braz76.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I agree with others on this. Fats/oils shouldn't be totally cut out...be sure to get enough. I know that sounds kind of weird. But it really does make a difference.

Also, some people are sensitive to getting too much fiber of certain types. I found this out firsthand. I was eating more baby spinach and apples trying to up my fiber when I dealt with constipation and it seriously made the issues worse X 10. So even now that I have my past problems sorted, I'm careful not to overdo the baby spinach and apples.

When I cut out diet cola entirely, my problems worsened. I only drink like 3 cans in a typical week but I swear it seems to help keep things regular.

I also find that drinking plenty of water all of the time and then a cup of coffee with breakfast gets things moving. Good luck, I know it's not a fun issue to have!!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am within the range MFP set for me. never over and never really under.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have looked over my goals and for my food logs I am within the range for fat and fiber. How would I check oil?
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon or two of epsom salt can get things moving - super duper cheap remedy! Agree with others about fat intake & it taking time for your system to adjust. I also find exercise helps get things moving too.

Every body responds a little differently so you'll have to experiment a little on what works best for you!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon or two of epsom salt can get things moving - super duper cheap remedy! Agree with others about fat intake & it taking time for your system to adjust. I also find exercise helps get things moving too.

Every body responds a little differently so you'll have to experiment a little on what works best for you!

Definitely agree with this! Especially the bit about waiting for your body to adjust and knowing that a lot of "fixes" for this might not be automatic. I came to these forums last year kind of wanting a quick solution and got really concerned because a lot of people would suggest stuff like "3 prunes every night before bed with Smooth Move tea" or "with breakfast drink a cup of hot water then a cup of cold water and you will be in the bathroom in 5 minutes" and none of that worked for me in a fast fix type of way but the other suggestions given really helped over time to the point that I no longer even think about it.

OP, as for oil I am thinking just typical oils used in cooking such as canola, vegetable, grapeseed, olive oil, whatever...not that you really need to track it specifically as it falls in with fats anyway...but just don't be afraid to use it here & there in your cooking.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't generally get "constipated" per se, but in my old life I would typically #2 twice or sometimes even 3 times per day. Once I cleaned up my diet and started regularly exercising I generally only have to every second day, and it is not substantial. I typically eat 1400-1800cals per day depending on how much exercise i've done that day.

In any event, if I ever feel concerned that it's been too long, or I just want to make sure it doesn't hit while i'm 5km away from home running, a cup of coffee usually has things moving within 5-10 minutes!
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Find something carbonated. Every time I have given up soda I have had this issue. Good luck!

Good idea!! I traded Dr. Pepper for Perrier and Club Soda. It helped me a lot.