Optimal timing to burn specific macros

Options
1seb1
1seb1 Posts: 30 Member
Wondering what is optimal time to burn the calories i just ate.. Example,, this am i ate a banana of 30 carbs, went to the gym 15 minutes after that banana,,, did i burn those carbs or are they burned later in the day? Thanks :-)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sigh... that's not how it works.

it's not like your body stores mashed up banana in your muscles. there is a process called digestion that needs to happen for food to be converted to anything that can be used for energy.

i'll let you look that up
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't think your perspective on thermodynamics is correct.

Caloric intake is cumulative. Your body uses what it needs from the best and most readily available sources. Glycogen stores are used during exercise and then replenished via nutritional intake.

Food takes between 6-12 hours to digest and evacuate the body.
  • 1seb1
    Options
    Ok,, so why do i feel energized after eating that banana? It was the first thing i ate this morning...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Ok,, so why do i feel energized after eating that banana? It was the first thing i ate this morning...
    Because the banana provided a quick influx of calories, simple carbohydrates, and B vitamins.
  • 1seb1
    Options
    So i did burn a bit of those carbs... Can anyone link me to a trustable site with this kind if info? tx
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Because the banana provided a quick influx of calories, simple carbohydrates, and B vitamins.
    the

good lord, the body doesnt break down a banana in macros and vitamins in minutes .

the energy you feel is psychosomatic.

sweet jesus of crappy public school education, some of you all need to go back to a proper beginning biology or human anatomy class :laugh:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    sigh... that's not how it works.

24x019k.jpg
  • 1seb1
    Options
    the

good lord, the body doesnt break down a banana in macros and vitamins in minutes .

sweet jesus of crappy public school education, some of you all need to go back to a proper beginning biology or human anatomy class :laugh:
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    the

Actually the carbs are broken down and used immediately if it's needed. Seems to raise my blood sugars in minutes if I'm low.
  • 1seb1
    Options
    the

Ok so i dont understand how it works...thats obviously why i ask the question... Can you help me to understand,, ie link me to a trustable site? Tx
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I think you are over thinking...

just log your food and eat at a deficit.(if you are trying to lose)
  • 1seb1
    Options
    I think you are over thinking...

just log your food and eat at a deficit.(if you are trying to lose)

Yes that makes sense :-) i am overthinking, i always overthink:-) id like to optimise my calorie burning abilities :-) maybe it is impossible to do but thats what im trying to figure out :-) tx
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Unless you're into competition body building, there is absolutely no reason for you to worry about anything like this to this level of minutia. Just eat at a modest deficit, get your macros and micros. That's it. KISS.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    So if you eat say a 16 oz steak, do you instantly weigh 16 oz more?

I believe the answer is Yes...but as the steak is digested, it breaks down into the subsequent macros...mostly protein and fats. These macros burn at dfferent rates...they also get "sluffed off" based on numerous things going on in your body. So some of it will go to build muscles, some to regulate the body and some may go to energy. How much...depends...but in time, that 16 oz steak is used up or spit out...well...reverse spit out if you get my drift.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    DleT4P5.gif
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Lmao. Just eat for whatever your goals are and get your macro/micro balance for the day...and take a deep breath
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Tell me more about these enchanted bananas
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    id like to optimise my calorie burning abilities :-)

If you want to optimize your calorie burning abilities, start running marathons.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread is really overthinking things.

I would ask though what phase of ripeness the banana is in (that makes all the difference).
  • providentialfoodie
    providentialfoodie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    the

Ok so i dont understand how it works...thats obviously why i ask the question... Can you help me to understand,, ie link me to a trustable site? Tx
    So i did burn a bit of those carbs... Can anyone link me to a trustable site with this kind if info? tx

Yes, you did. The various nutrients are not all broken down in exactly the same way, so there isn't an "exercise/intensity/calories-just-eaten burned" formula - how I wish there was!! :) Just make sure that you're getting the right amount of macronutrients for your height and weight and your body will hopefully do what it is supposed to do with that.

This is a summary of how things are broken down which you might find helpful: http://www.nutristrategy.com/digestion.htm
    There's also a link to approximate calories burned during exercise for a range of body weights at the bottom of that page.

What comes to mind when you mentioned eating a banana and feeling better is that simple carbs are broken down into glucose pretty quickly. It is not psychosomatic at all. It's the result of the breaking down of simpler nutrients.

Take care!

Esther