MFP's Calorie Burn Tool Accuracy (Just Curious)

Options
I don't own a heart rate monitor or anything fancy like that, so I'm just curious as to how accurate people think the exercise tool on this site is. I'm only asking because my elliptical at home as a heart rate strap and I notice that every time I workout I get different calorie burns (which I expected, I know that's normal based on intensity and the length of the workout) but it's always quite a bit less than the expected calorie burn MFP gives me.

For example, the first time I used my elliptical I burned between 150-200 calories (can't remember specific number), but when I entered my time into MFP it said I should have burned 267. I log in the lower number (the one on the machine) just to be on the safe side.

My biggest concern is when I run errands all day, log in the almost exact amount of time that I have been walking, and I even round down the speed I've been walking (I usually stick to 2.5 mph to account for standing and maybe trying on clothes or something like that) and it's usually a HUGE number! For example, I entered that I walked at 2.5 for 3 hrs and 15 mins yesterday and it said I burned over 500 calories. Can that really be right?

I guess I'm just a little worried that I'll end up overeating because MFP suggests me to, although I still trust the site from seeing all of the awesome success stories on here from faithful users!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• mckennamom
    mckennamom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your intensity. I never count walking/running when it is a normal part of my day because I figure that is already accounted for when I picked my lifestyle. You would burn more, and work up a sweat, if you walked at a fast pace for an hour straight compared to an hour with small stops in between.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Use the lowest number that you come across whether it is MFP or the machine, unless you have a HRM then use that number after you back out your resting calories, as they are counted on your HRM and again in your MFP allotted intake.
  • meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do have a hrm and I notice that my calories on the hrm is ALWAYS lower than what is projected on MFP.
  • Baregravity
    Baregravity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Obviously, you realize having a HRM would be beneficial. I personally have noticed that I have to reduce my MFP minutes to correspond to my HRM minutes. Thus, my conclusion is consistent with your assessment.
  • Smokechic
    Smokechic Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When using your elliptical, do you enter your height and weight or just start using it. I went to the gym yesterday, I used the elliptical but did not enter any information. I changed the intensity up and down throughout the whole workout. I was on for at least 20 minutes and remember, the last I looked, seeing the calorie burn say 210. But forgot to look at all the numbers when I got off. When I put the number in to MFP, it said 206. I felt this was pretty close considering I knew I was on longer than 20 min (but not by much) and that MFP doesn't account for (so I assume) the change of intensity throughout. I would think its fairly accurate. I too would go with the lower number but wouldn't sweat it too much.
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be counting errands as exercise. If you have a really active lifestyle or active job you should pick that as your lifestyle and the program will allow you more daily calories based on this info.
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Stick to your machine at home if you are wearing your strap or have hand pulse. I find MFP says you burn way more than you really do. That is why I invested in a Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap, because when I am done exercising I just push one of the button and it tells me my exercise time & calories burned. I have a polar FT4, like i said I did buy one to get accurate readings. Hope this helps you.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you have a good HRM use that. When I use the MFP database I only enter half the time so I don't overestimate the calories burned. Then I am much less tempted to overindulge when only half the calories show on my diary.