Protein shakes...what do you like??

Options
What are your favorite post workout protein shakes? Or do you think protein shakes are over rated? I am just trying to figure out what the best post workout snack/shake would be for best results, open to all input!

Replies

• LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I generally drink protein shakes in the morning for breakfast on the go, and sometimes a second one during the day if I'm rushed for time. I do water, 1 1/2 cups frozen berries, 1-2 scoops protein powder, 2 handfuls of spinach, chai seeds and veggie greens with ice. YUM!!!! Just under 400 calories and 29 g of protein depending on how much powder I use. Very nutritious, fast and filling.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I'm new to protein powders so I just bought Body Fortress from Walmart. Its the Protein Isolate with less carbs. I love the chocolate mixed with plain almond milk. I'm trying the vanilla and its not bad. 1 scoop is 130 cals and 30 g protein
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're BETTER than food sources for protein, but I respect that they have their place in diets that otherwise fall short on protein. I went 12 weeks straight here, while always meeting my protein goal (around 100g/day) with only food. My post workout was always a protein heavy meal (eggs, or chicken, or Greek yogurt).

Lately, I've introduced whey powder to simplify my mornings (which will get more cramped for time come school time). They sure are handy when there's no time to cook. Whey shake and some oatmeal or Cheerios, and I'm fueled until lunchtime.

You'll probably get a zillion opinions on the "best" brand (it all is personal preference). I just buy whatever is locally accessible for me. That means Walmart (they carry EAS and Pure Protein for ~$18-$19/2lb jug). Price is right, protein level is right, and I don't mind the taste.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make my own. I use a cup of plain Greek yogurt, add a banana, and a half a cup of skim milk. Then I add a scoop of protein powder (I used Body Fortress, it's 30 grams of protein per scoop) and a tablespoon of cocoa powder. I found out that it tastes great and doesn't pack a lot of extra calories (about 20 depending on brand). Throw that into my Ninja Pulse blender until smooth.

I normally have mine for breakfast though. I don't do my main workout until right before lunch. Play around with different ingredients until you find one you like. I'm just a chocoholic, the darker the better :).
  • pcknits
    pcknits Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I make mine with 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt, 8 oz 2% milk, 2 tbsp PB2, 1 scoop of either Vanilla or Chocolate Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder, 7 ice cubes. Blend it up and it gives me a large protein shake to drink on the way to work. Holds me till lunch, tastes great.
  • TomAJeffs
    TomAJeffs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use the Aptonia stuff from Decathlon, immediately after my daily ride (about 45 miles). Other than bags of fruit+nut, I find it difficult to get enough protein in my diet.

The vanilla flavour, with a pint of milk, tastes fantastic.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't use them for any post-workout reason, it's just a quick and easy afternoon snack for me. My issue is I don't like the taste of sucralose or stevia and most brands use low cal sweeteners (no, I don't believe it's poison, just sensitive to the aftertaste).
    Whole Foods has a 365 store brand that uses sugar and Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Oats and Whey uses sugar and honey. I preferred the texture of Whole Foods' mix but don't live near a store anymore so I deal with the oatmeal grit in ON.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    Cellucor has the YUMMIEST protein shakes EVER! Birthday cake and red velvet are my faves and the sugar is not crazy high.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I make all kinds of protein shakes. :D Mostly as meal substitutes if I'm running low on groceries or time. I also don't always use ice. It just depends on whether I want my shake to be really cold or not. Sometimes I freeze the banana or fruit instead of using ice.

PB&J Shake
    Scoop strawberry whey
    2 tablespoons PB2
    2 tablespoons sugarfree strawberry jam
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1/4 cup oats
    Ice, water and blend to get the consistency you want

Choco-PB Banana
    1/2 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    One whole ripe banana
    2 tablespoons chocolate PB2
    2 teaspoons cocoa powder
    1 scoop banana creme whey
    Ice, water if needed and blend

Morning Coffee
    1 scoop tiramisu protein
    1 cup brewed coffee (cold)
    2 packets splenda
    2 tablespoons creamer, almond milk, or flavored creamer
    Ice and blend
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm new to protein powders so I just bought Body Fortress from Walmart. Its the Protein Isolate with less carbs. I love the chocolate mixed with plain almond milk. I'm trying the vanilla and its not bad. 1 scoop is 130 cals and 30 g protein

Same here - I prefer the chocolate peanut butter, and I usually have them after my workout. Rush back to work and have that and my lunch. I usually just toss in a couple of ice cubes and water. And when I emailed the company about a sampler pack so I could try the flavors without buying a whole tub, they said they didn't have any, but sent two coupons. So that was nice. And since I started making sure I'm getting enough protein and water after workouts, I've not been as sore as I got before when I tried exercising. It's nice.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Where did you get the Tiramisu protein powder??? Brand?? Sounds delish!!!

Thanks!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options

Thanks!

max muscle sports nutrition. i got it at one of their stores discounted 'cuz one of my friends worked there lol. i think you can get it online too but not sure about the price

http://www.maxmuscle.com/article/2013/12/20/new-flavor-of-maxpro-tiramisu-in-stores-now.html
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Water and ice!! I save those calories from mixed shakes for solid food, unless I am going to use it as a meal replacement.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Thanks!

max muscle sports nutrition. i got it at one of their stores discounted 'cuz one of my friends worked there lol. i think you can get it online too but not sure about the price

http://www.maxmuscle.com/article/2013/12/20/new-flavor-of-maxpro-tiramisu-in-stores-now.html

Thank you!! I am definitely going to get ahold of some of that! Wish I had it now....sounds great for morning!! ;-)
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I use them to get my protein levels up!
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I love phd protein diet whey in chocolate!
  • darkqueen79
    Options
    what brand of protein shake do you buy?
  • aidenaiden
    aidenaiden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My dad sent me President's Choice whey Isolate in vanilla. I hear it's pretty cheap in Canada (my dad's in Canada, I'm in the Philippines). I like it because it's sugar free (no sweetness at all) so it's versatile in making smoothies. 24g of protein in a scoop.

My husband buys Mutant Whey in triple chocolate which tastes good, it's just that it has slightly lower protein than President's Choice, 22g.
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    I am in Australia and use trutein or alkaline extreme...ive always loved trutein....but must admit alkaline extreme kinda kicks trutein in the *kitten* lol...sadly its double the price tho too...lol :) I have one for breakfast and one for a afternoon snack.