How much to eat before working out?

Options
I'm taking a conditioning class and a yoga class this quarter at school. Sometimes I have one right after the other, and I only eat breakfast before hand, which is usually around 300 calories for me. I'm burning up to about 600-700 between the two classes. By the time I get done with the second class I'm usually starving! Should I try to eat more before I work out, or is what I'm doing now okay?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    bring a small snack and eat it on the way to the second class.
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    you can eat after you work out, some ppl actually say thats a better time to eat cuz even after you stop working out ur still burning calories
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I workout on an empty stomach 3 mornings of the week. I lift weights, hop on a treadmill, and eat myself out of house & home when I get home, lol
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana if I'm going to a midday class as it doesn't sit too heavy and gives you a bit of energy.
  • shawnamil12
    Options
    i eat something small before i work out- im usually gone for 2 hours. i come home and i eat a big meal. im straving after the work out and i usually burn any where from 500-900 cals doing the elliptical for 30 mins or so and other things too. i try to eat a protien and a carb before working out also to keep me going
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    bring a small snack and eat it on the way to the second class.

this is a great idea.

also its ok to eat after you workout, you're even "supposed" to according to some people. but eating maybe a little more beforehand (like maybe 400 instead of 300) and a small snack in between the two should keep you from scarfing down everything in sight after you're done.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    600-700 calories? Are you sure? That seems like a lot to burn in anything that is not high impact. How long are the classes. In my 1.5 hour yoga class I burn around 300 calories. I only ask because I think we overestimate how much we burn and then sabatoge ourselves. When I take a 45 minute workout class I always remember that you are only really working hard for about 30 minutes. The rest is warmup/cool down.
  • wpij25
    wpij25 Posts: 161
    Options
  • JimHeid
    JimHeid Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My NordicTrack bike gives me 300 calories in 30 mins if I really push it. Under MFP's exercise database that is 440 calories for 30 mins of vigorous exercise, which I think overstates it. I am more inclined to give myself 350 for 30 mins. And a protein shake right afterwards.
  • meganld
    meganld Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The snack idea is good, I've thought of that before but wasn't sure if I'd get cramps or something. Any suggestions about what I should eat?

"600-700 calories? Are you sure? That seems like a lot to burn in anything that is not high impact. How long are the classes. In my 1.5 hour yoga class I burn around 300 calories. I only ask because I think we overestimate how much we burn and then sabatoge ourselves. When I take a 45 minute workout class I always remember that you are only really working hard for about 30 minutes. The rest is warmup/cool down."

Each of my classes is an hour, and I do account for the warm up and cool down parts. So I guess that I'm working out for about 45 mins. for each class. The first class is a high impact aerobics step class, that's where most of the calorie burn comes from. My yoga class I think I only burn about 150 calories in the 45 mins. or so that I'm working out. I do want to get a HRM and make sure that I'm logging everything correctly, but I think it's pretty accurate.