fat burn vs cardio burn question

Options
I just joined a gym and did 38 minutes on the elliptical trainer today--I'm so excited, I felt like I could have stayed on much longer but didn't want to overdo it and not be able to move tomorrow. The heart tracker on the machine show my heart rate being between 123 & 125 which was in the cardio burn section on the chart. I'm really going for weight loss so would it have been better to go slower and have a lower heart rate? Or is it all good? And should I worry about whatever Mets and Watts are at this point?

Thanks from a gym noob!

Replies

• matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's all good. Monitor your diet first and don't worry too much about heart rate classifications.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ignore that heart rate/burn type foolishness as it's a total crock when it comes to fat loss. Exercise at your best sustainable pace and monitor your diet
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Ignore that heart rate/burn type foolishness as it's a total crock when it comes to fat loss. Exercise at your best sustainable pace and monitor your diet

this.

and i think it's fun to watch the watts. i like to see what my work output, plus it's fun to think of it in lightbulbs like right now i am powering a 150 watt bulb
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'll third the lack of reliability of the machine numbers. But, you did it! You worked it for 38 minutes, and wanted to do more? That's wonderful!

You're wise not to overdo it your first day. It's a marathon, not a sprint. :wink: Just keep at it, add some weight lifting to maintain muscle and build strength, and stick to your nutrition plan! You will rock it!! :bigsmile:
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think of the claims of calorie burns of exercise equipment as being similar to vanity sizing with clothing. The increased number of calories makes you feel better and even though you know it has to be on the high side, you're happy to go with the numbers anyway.

Underestimate your calorie burn and overestimate your calorie intake, and you're bound to be much closer to reality. At worst case, you'll lose more than your deficit numbers predict you should.
  • RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think of the claims of calorie burns of exercise equipment as being similar to vanity sizing with clothing. The increased number of calories makes you feel better and even though you know it has to be on the high side, you're happy to go with the numbers anyway.

Underestimate your calorie burn and overestimate your calorie intake, and you're bound to be much closer to reality. At worst case, you'll lose more than your deficit numbers predict you should.

I agree with this ^
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

^^ THIS. Most of the HR estimations are based on the assumption that if you workout for a certain amount of time with a lower HR, you *WILL* workout for a longer amount of time. Conversely, if you keep your HR pegged for the same amount of time, you will output more *work*, but statistically workout for a shorter period of time.

Good luck!
  • MaryHuckleberry
    MaryHuckleberry Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! It is pretty wild--the machine said I burned 365 calories and for MFP tracker calculated it as 685--I would guesstimate calorie wise it probably was somewhere in the 300 range.