starting to run

Options
I remember being in high school, dreading the four days a year we had to run the mile.
I look outside on nice days and see people running, and I think to myself, "why the hell would you WANT to run? What's the point?"

Deep down, though, I know that I would probably really enjoy it if I wasn't soooo terrible at it (of course, due mostly to being so big).

The idea of a 5k or more is just daunting to me, and yet I think it would be such an amazing accomplishment to one day run a marathon, after at one point being 130 overweight.

So how does one BEGIN running? I can do 45 minutes of vigorous "running speed" cardio on an elliptical machine, but ask me to run/jog on a treadmill or outside, I stop before I reach a quarter of a mile. I've even tried just starting to run, and just trying to progress and increase the distance, but i never seem to be able to make any progress.

Any ideas?

Replies

• mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    It's great that you're ready to start running and working up to some race distances.
    When I first started running I followed some beginner programs on www.halhigdon.com
    Hal Higdon has run more than 100 marathons, has been a coach, and has written lots of books on running.
    My advice: take it slow! you'll get there, no need to injure yourself on the way to your goal!

(I ran my first marathon this past October. I'm slow and still not a great runner but it was an amazing experience. You'll enjoy it when its eventually your turn.)
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Everyone will tell you to look at the couch to 5K program on coolrunning.com (I think that is the website). Personally, I've been running outside since last May, and running outside is much HARDER then running on a treadmill and honestly, just start. I'd say start on a treadmill just because it is easier but set small goals - like jog to the end of the block and walk back or if you are on a trail or the park pick a landmark and head for it. Stop and walk when you need to - no shame there.

I ran my first 5K back in July and planned to do more but life kept getting in the way. I plan on doing a local sprint tri this June and in one year I can run 1.3 mph faster then I could last year at this time.

So go to your local running store, get fitted with some good shoes, and start. Good luck
  • Dlenakakis
    Dlenakakis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started running last year and was just like you, could barely run to the curb before I had to start. I used 2 methods depending on when or where I was running. If I had my ipod I used a program called couch to 5K. It was designed for people with no running experience to run a 5K in 12 weeks. Each podcast is set to music and there are verbal cues as to when to walk/jog etc. Each week you increase your jogging vs walking time. On days that I didn't want to use my ipod (like running in the dark and want to be able to HEAR) I used a scale of 1-10, 1 being in bed 10 being someone with a big knife is chasing you and you better run like he** if you want to live. Try to stay around a 7 (could talk in winded words if you wanted to but would really rather not). If you get above a 7, slow down, walk, when you recover start running again. Over time you will notice that your going farther and farther between the times you need to slow down. These methods worked well for me. Last year I finished a sprint triathlon! However due to some healh issues I had to stop exercising for a few months and then just totally fell off the wagon - so I'm starting over.

Good luck!
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    Hey- me too! Im using the NHS Couch to 5k (C25K) podcasts to help me. I really like them. She has an english accent and tells you when to run and when to walk and the music isnt so techno repetitive.

If you do a google search you will find a bunch but here is the link to the one Im using. I downloaded the podcasts off Itunes for free.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

good luck!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    2 weeks ago i got an idea i was going to run a 5k on the treadmill. i really had to push myself to finish it. almost convinced myself to stop at 3k, the competive side of me made me push on. there is no way i can run the whole thing, i start out jogging about 5 mph as long as i can, then slow down to 4mph til i catch my breath, then crank it up for a few minutes, then back down. the first time i hurt so bad the next day, the 2nd one was just kinda i worked out sore, today will be the 3rd one. takes me about 42 minutes to complete. good luck. just make sure you have plenty of water, i ran short the first time, use a 33 oz bottle now.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I run outside. It is easier for me & I love being outside. I'm doing the C25K. I just finished week one yesterday but I am thinking about doing week 1 again.
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way about running. I was in the military and dreaded the 2 mile PT tests and told myself when I got out that I would probably never run again! I'm not sure what changed but about a year ago, I just started running. I didn't follow any guidelines or programs, I just ran until I couldn't any more. I hate to run on the treadmil because I get bored. I push myself outside when I get tired and tell myself I can walk at the next mailbox or street sign and I think about how proud I will be if I run the whole time. I did a 5K last summer and finished first in my age group in 26 minutes. Running is now my preferred cardio and I get cranky when I can't do it!

Good luck to you and just go run!
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am very happy that you are starting to run. I have just started back again a couple months ago and run every Sunday morning. I am fortunate to have a friend that runs with me which helps with the motivation. I have a couple suggestions for you that helped me:
    1) Dress appropriately. I like to wear two layers with a tight shirt on bottom and a quarter zip shirt on top. (Down to about 20 degrees). I zip the top all the way and by mile 2 I unzip the top shirt. I also have running gloves and a hat. I like to wear tights with jogging pants on top.
    2) Shoes are important and it helps to find shoes where your knees stay straight up and down with every stride. This probably depends on a lot of factors.
    3) I discovered a free web site called mapmyrun.com. You can start at your house and click through your neighborhood and pick a run distance that works for you.
    4) I found a free app for my iphone called RunKeeper. It uses the phone gps to track your run and you can then see your course and pull it up online. (Mapmyrun also has a free app but I haven't used it.) Runkeeper lets you put in your desired pace such as 10 minutes per mile and will tell you every programmed interval what your pace and distance are. I have used the pace feature to run harder when not hitting my goal.
    5) I started with a three mile run for a few weekends and moved to increase my pace which i did. Then, last Sunday, I moved up to 4.3 miles but my pace slowed. I am going to work on my pace at 4.3 miles. I will see how I feel and decide if I want to increase the distance. Maybe I will stay here for a while.
    6) I recommend that you use the Mapmyrun site to pick a distance that you can run without stopping. Maybe a mile at first. Do it a few times (1 or 2 days a week) and keep going until you can do it without stopping every time. Then add a half mile and start over. Try to keep your pace at 10 minutes a mile or maybe 12 minutes a mile at the slowest (in my opinion). When you start to master a distance at a certain pace, it is time to introduce a stressor and either increase the distance or increase the pace.
    7) Be patient. Don't expect to be great right away. Don't overstress your hips, feet and knees. As you train your muscles, you will get better and run longer and faster.

Good luck!
  • triciaj66
    triciaj66 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I remember being in high school, dreading the four days a year we had to run the mile.
    I look outside on nice days and see people running, and I think to myself, "why the hell would you WANT to run? What's the point?"

Deep down, though, I know that I would probably really enjoy it if I wasn't soooo terrible at it (of course, due mostly to being so big).

The idea of a 5k or more is just daunting to me, and yet I think it would be such an amazing accomplishment to one day run a marathon, after at one point being 130 overweight.

So how does one BEGIN running? I can do 45 minutes of vigorous "running speed" cardio on an elliptical machine, but ask me to run/jog on a treadmill or outside, I stop before I reach a quarter of a mile. I've even tried just starting to run, and just trying to progress and increase the distance, but i never seem to be able to make any progress.

Any ideas?
    I never had ran before but always wanted to... I did the elliptical
    Or fast walks for the past two years. Than one day started running on a walk .. I could only go for about 5 minutes before I killed over ... Lol !! A month latter I tryed again with my sister in law ( she runs a lot) she pushed me to keep going . I did a mile and a half with out stopping .... I could not believe it!! Two weeks from than I did a 5K with a friend .. I am running 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 miles 4-5 times a week.. I never thought I could do it so u can .. It is all a mind game... Just when u think u can't go anymore any pain or heavy breathing goes away ... !!!! I plan to get to 5 miles some day !! Friend me if you want!!