Post Workout Meals/Snacks

Options
I'm looking for any suggestions for people who do intense evening workouts. I find it difficult to schedule my eating around these workouts. I don't want to eat a big meal late night, but a few hours after these workouts I'm pretty hungry, and I don't want to starve myself either. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• holliwest
    Options
    Try eating your big meal in the middle of the day and a protien shake and a piece of fruit after your nightly workout. If you get a protein powder with 200 calories or more you should be good...,
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a great post work out snack I like to have.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I try to split my calories evenly through five or six mini-meals during the day. This gives me plenty of energy for my evening run/workout session and doesn't make for huge meals.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is a great refuel indeed.

Also, I like to make batches of vegetable soup - with lots of veggies, and some kidney beans & lentils - fills me up quickly and 1 cup is only 87calories - and two cups is more than enough =) and it's not heavy in your stomach
  • mkrafick
    Options
    I run into the same issues, I ended up doing a few things:

1. Broke my meals up into 5-6x a day, so it wasn't uncommon for me to have dinner and a evening snack before bed.
    2. If I am not working out, things like 100Cal yogurt, or slices of Turkey help keep hunger at bay (protien makes you feel full and stop that "I'm Hungry" feeling".

However, if I have a workout routine, I often eat light before the workout - Yogurt and a banana, etc.Even something with just a little sugar for the energy boost. However after the workout I have a protein shake - usually 1-1.5c 2% Milk with "Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein" (Comes in Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, and Cookies-and-Cream"). A 2lb jug is roughly $13-15.00 at Wallmart and lasts me almost 2 weeks at 2-3 servings a day. It also tastes really good, like a true shake, not like the other Whey drinks I have tried.

If you drink this within 20 minutes of a workout it provides some much needed nutrients to repair muscle. Also, protein is hard for your body to turn to fat, so it turns to your fat stores to burn fuel and replenishes with this stuff.

Hope this helps.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    What time do you finish work out and go to bed?

I usually finish about 7pm and I have post workout shake then. 40g protein, 70g carbs, minimal fat.

I then have dinner about an hour after that. Usually about 500cals with a good amount of protein, carbs from veggies and healthy fats.

I go to bed about 10pm so this meal is 2hrs before bed which I think is fine.
  • FitFeden
    FitFeden Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It varies. Sometimes I'm done by 8, sometimes by 9. I hate eating that late, but I know I gotta eat.
  • ms_april
    ms_april Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also like a soft boiled egg (boil 5 minutes) and a piece of toast (I like Sara Lee 45 calorie multigrain bread).
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My favorite after dinner snack is 1/2 a cup on non fat ricotta cheese with a couple of drops of vanilla extract and a packet of Splenda. Easy to do, great source of protein, keeps me full until bed time and satiates my sweet tooth with out reaching for the ice cream.