question about fasting

Options
I am new to MFP, been with the program for 10 days. I guess I am not quiet as disciplined as I though I could be because I exceeded my calories by 2170 on Saturday. It was a social occasion followed by a "oh well I've already blown it so why not have more." The next day I fasted as long as I could then had some soup so my calorie intake was 220. When I completed my entry for the day a popup from MFP said something to the effect that that few calories could put me in starvation mode. I understand that if i were to continue eating that way that that could happen.
So, my question is would fasting(semi) one day a week cause me to go in starvation mode?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth.

To fast, I would plan the fast and not go over or under. Read up on Intermittent Fasting. I have done the 16/8 variation in the past - very easy to follow.

"oh well I've already blown it so why not have more."
    Nothing wrong with social occasions but this approach is dangerous so you need to stop it, really. It's like if you get a burst tyre on your car, you then think "screw it I might as well slash the other 3 tyres". :D

Or you drop your phone and get a chip in the corner so you take a hammer to it.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Check out the 5:2 subforum and the Intermittent Fasting subforum if you want to make this a way of life. You can find those by searching groups. There are many lifestyles centered around fasting. I do 5:2 myself.

As for overindulging preceded by or followed by a fast day, except at Thanksgiving and Christmas when many people will cheerfully say 'go for it'! This seems to have a negative eating disorder connotation on MFP. It seems it's far more approved to deliberately do some form of intermittent fasting on a weekly basis and not do it just to enjoy a pigout day. Don't ask me why, I have no clue, but go check those forums I mentioned and enjoy.
  • coachfeliciad
    coachfeliciad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP, been with the program for 10 days. I guess I am not quiet as disciplined as I though I could be because I exceeded my calories by 2170 on Saturday. It was a social occasion followed by a "oh well I've already blown it so why not have more." The next day I fasted as long as I could then had some soup so my calorie intake was 220. When I completed my entry for the day a popup from MFP said something to the effect that that few calories could put me in starvation mode. I understand that if i were to continue eating that way that that could happen.
    So, my question is would fasting(semi) one day a week cause me to go in starvation mode?

Instead of one day a week I would just do a solid fast for 3 days to 1 week. The main benefit behind a fast is to clean out your system. Did you know most people, especially those that are overweight, can have on average about 20 lbs of toxic sludge built up in their intestines? If you start off with a solid fast then you'll clean out your system and it will be primed for a nonstop healthy diet. You wouldn't have to fast 1 day a week. And after this initial fast you wouldn't have to for a long time (most people usually do a yearly fast). But you need to ease into it. The first day cut out meats, dairy, cheese and only do veggies, grains, fruit, juice and water. The second day cut out grains and veggies. The third day cut out fruit and you'll just be on juice and water ONLY. then on day 6 bring back veggies and grains and fruit. Day 7 bring back meats, dairy and cheese. And then you're good to go. Also while you're fasting make sure you drink at least 1-2 gallons of water a day and if you need to, you can take a fiber supplement to fight hunger oains.. And when you workout don't slack up just because you're fasting. Stick with the same workout length and intensity to keep that muscle building. Although you might lose a little muscle during the fast it won't take you but a month or two to get it back which is no big deal. I hope this helps!!
  • MelvinOAnderson
    Options
    Fasting for a day doesn't leds to starvation it helpful for body it helps to loss weight also .When you eat, your digestive system breaks down carbohydrates into the sugar glucose but when you have not eaten anything glucose is absorbed from the digestive tract into the blood, which then travels to your body’s cells to provide them with fuel.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting a 16/8 fast myself but honestly that is a much more natural eating habit for me I'm not a morning eater I'd rather have a cup of coffee and stare zombie like at the screen for a few hours if the option is presented, the option not being available doesn't change my view on morning eating it just removes the coffee from the equation.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some people average their calories out over the week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Instead of one day a week I would just do a solid fast for 3 days to 1 week. The main benefit behind a fast is to clean out your system. Did you know most people, especially those that are overweight, can have on average about 20 lbs of toxic sludge built up in their intestines? If you start off with a solid fast then you'll clean out your system and it will be primed for a nonstop healthy diet. You wouldn't have to fast 1 day a week. And after this initial fast you wouldn't have to for a long time (most people usually do a yearly fast). But you need to ease into it. The first day cut out meats, dairy, cheese and only do veggies, grains, fruit, juice and water. The second day cut out grains and veggies. The third day cut out fruit and you'll just be on juice and water ONLY. then on day 6 bring back veggies and grains and fruit. Day 7 bring back meats, dairy and cheese. And then you're good to go. Also while you're fasting make sure you drink at least 1-2 gallons of water a day and if you need to, you can take a fiber supplement to fight hunger oains.. And when you workout don't slack up just because you're fasting. Stick with the same workout length and intensity to keep that muscle building. Although you might lose a little muscle during the fast it won't take you but a month or two to get it back which is no big deal. I hope this helps!!

Your body does not build toxins or have toxic sludge; if you did, you would be hospitalized for an infection of your system. Fasting will not improve that by any means either. Fasting is just another technique to help create a deficit and fit into ones lifestyle over a period of time. It's highly effective for those who do not like breakfast or those who want to eat more calories on the weekend.

OP, there are many programs that include fasting for periods of time. This will allow you to spread out calories over a weeks period of time to help mitigate some of the binges/splurging.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and congrats on your 11 pounds lost! :drinker:

As someone else said, starvation mode is a myth to the common dieter. You have to be emaciated and have lost a certain percentage of fat and muscle in order to be in starvation mode.

Everybody goes over their calorie goals sometimes. I have not tried intermittent fasting, though if I did I would try it without dinner until breakfast time (in other words, not eat after my last snack at 3 or so until I my pre-workout cottage cheese, egg, or yogurt. That's 14 hours), because I LIVE for breakfast and can really do without dinner. :bigsmile:

I also know the feeling of going too far with food and then saying, "screw it, I've already goofed up anyway," and making vows to get back to it the next day. This was in indicator for me that I had a very poor relationship with food. Once I was able to seeing food in terms of good and bad and started eating everything in moderation, the bingeing basically stopped. I do go over my calories sometimes, but I no longer put myself down about it.

I think you will find an eating style, if you will, that will work for you. It's fun to try and save calories up for a weekend if you know you have a big event coming up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No, you won't go into starvation mode. Starvation doesn't make you gain weight, anyway. People who starve have many physical problems, but weight gain isn't one of them. It isn't a healthy thing, though. That isn't the sort of lifestyle change you really want to make.

The toxic stuff in your intestines is supposed to be there. That's why it's held in a tube, separated from the rest of you. Your body knows what it is doing there and requires no help from you. The only cleansing your digestive system needs is a good to other brushing and washing the *kitten*. It can do the rest. If it can't, you need a doctor, not a fast or a cleanse.