Cold Weather & Snow = Running on Treadmills = PAIN!

Options
Runners out there, I need help!

I've officially started training for the Indianapolis Mini in May....picking up where I left off in the fall. I'm having no problems with the distances and times right now, but I live in central Ohio and we've been under snow weather for a month now and it's not looking to let up anytime soon. I don't mind running in cold weather, but when it's snowing and/ or snow & ice on the ground I just find it too difficult to keep my footing. SO - I've moved my runs inside for the time being - which I don't REALLY mind, but I feel like it's really taking a toll on my body. I've ran a total of 8.18 miles since Sunday (the last run was a short 1.7 mile run last night), and my back is SO sore and achy. I also have found that the first mile has been really tough b/c I feel like I have shin splints, and I haven't had those in awhile (I usually just run through them and they go away).

What do you guys suggest to at least help the pain? I just got new running shoes in December so I know cusioning isn't the issue. Help!!!

You guys all rock. Thanks!

Replies

• MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Sometimes when running on a treadmill, our gait changes. Make sure you are aware of where yo uare standing on the treadmill. I was guilty of this when I would run on the treadmill... If you are up close to the front of the machine, you are too close. They are supposed to be designed so that you run in the middle of the treadmill.
    My suggestion... definitely lots of stretching prior to (dynamic) and post workout (static stretching). Also, warm up on a different type of machine, like the eliptical or the stationary bike. That will help.
    Also, are you doing any type of cross training. This may be an excellent time to cross train with swimming (helps runners tremendously). I am not the marathon runner, but my boss and hubs are. I don't enjoy running, but I like cycling and swimming. But I work with a lot of runners (medically) and those would be my first suggestions. Good luck!
  • mommahaworth
    Options
    Hi! I have the same problem and my shin splints are killer! I had to take some time off to let them heal. I know some people that deal in sports medicine and therapy and they recommend ice massage. Basically you take some ice and massage it into the shin area. They also recommended not to do anymore running until you heal but keep at the massage. It has helped me but I still have issues when I try to run on them again. Probably because I haven't let them heal completely.

Good Luck!!
  • xxMsComptonxx
    Options
    I am running the same mini!

May 7th?

I live in Indianapolis though.
  • Nickiloo
    Nickiloo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I live in Wisconsin and we have the same issues with snow and ice. My husband bought Stable-Icers, which slip onto the bottom of his running shoes. He loves them! He feels very confident running on sheer ice with them. Look for them at your local running store. Good luck!
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The same happens to me. Also, my feet felt numb after 20 minutes.

I bought different running shoes (Gel Asics). That helped absorb some of the shock as my feet hit the surface. I also find it helpful to sway my hips more (think seductively) while I'm jogging. That helped with the lower back issues. But I have to mention that I've never run more than 4 mph on the treadmill. I don't know if that matters or not.
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    I am running the same mini!

May 7th?

I live in Indianapolis though.

Yes! :smile: It's my first mini. My mom and I are doing it together, although she is walking it. I'm originally from Terre Haute but live in Columbus now - small world :drinker:
  • nsking83
    nsking83 Posts: 145
    Options
    Sometimes when running on a treadmill, our gait changes. Make sure you are aware of where yo uare standing on the treadmill. I was guilty of this when I would run on the treadmill... If you are up close to the front of the machine, you are too close. They are supposed to be designed so that you run in the middle of the treadmill.
    My suggestion... definitely lots of stretching prior to (dynamic) and post workout (static stretching). Also, warm up on a different type of machine, like the eliptical or the stationary bike. That will help.
    Also, are you doing any type of cross training. This may be an excellent time to cross train with swimming (helps runners tremendously). I am not the marathon runner, but my boss and hubs are. I don't enjoy running, but I like cycling and swimming. But I work with a lot of runners (medically) and those would be my first suggestions. Good luck!

I'll have to try getting a little further back on the treadmill. I have a bad habit of getting up too close b/c I feel like I"m going to fly off the back!! Good idea on warming up on a bike or elliptical - I'll have to try that too!

The only "cross training" I"m doing currently is some strength/ weightlifting to strengthen my upper body and legs. The schedule I'm using to train has me doing one cross training day a week and suggests yoga, which I love - I just need to get a dvd or something!

THanks to all for your help!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention what incline you're using. If it's higher than what you usually run on outside, you're stressing different muscles which could be causing you some grief.

I can take the cold only so much. I was suppose to do a 30 min run on my lunch today, but with recorded 30 MPH gusts with a windchill of -5F, no thanks..lol
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    The same happens to me. Also, my feet felt numb after 20 minutes.

I bought different running shoes (Gel Asics). That helped absorb some of the shock as my feet hit the surface. I also find it helpful to sway my hips more (think seductively) while I'm jogging. That helped with the lower back issues. But I have to mention that I've never run more than 4 mph on the treadmill. I don't know if that matters or not.

I run at 5.5 to 6 mph on the treadmill (faster outdoors) and my feet go numb sometimes (ONLY on the treadmill) . . . perhaps the repetitive motion, whereas if you're outside, you're landing differently as you go over different terrain, even if its minute, it would still shift the weight off certain areas of your body, etc . . . perhaps try differing the speeds, inclines, as if you we're outside. Just a thought, I've never tried it.