First major break through with running

Options
I have never been much of a runner, even at school I chose to walk round the course. But recently I have really wanted to run properly and maybe take part in Race for Life or do a 10k fun run, but I knew how totally rubbish I was at it.

I recently joined the gym and try to do at least 10 minutes even though it absolutely kills me.

But last night, I went to the gym, got on the threaded treadmill and began running. I got to ten minutes and felt fine and not too out of breath, so I thought I would carry on for another 5 minutes.

I ended up running 30 minutes! Couldn't believe it!, just goes to show persistence does pay off after awhile. Maybe I will be able to do Race for Life now.

Fingers crossed! ;)

Replies

• mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Great achievement, once you can maintain stamina you can run for much longer. Well done.:flowerforyou:
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    That's great! I was so happy when I realized that I could run for 10 minutes straight, even though I was so worn out afterward! Keep it up!
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I am in my first week of a C25K (Couch-to-5K) program and it's very helpful to know there are moments like these that will happen eventually.
  • jennygiraffes
    Options
    aw! how awesome! This really gives me motivation because i have been struggling with running on the treadmill for any longer than five minutes...i guess if i keep at it i will get better!
  • jazznjagg
    Options
    yes-congrats to you! keep pushing beyond your limits, you will be suprised of the outcome of the 10k! good for you :bigsmile:
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Good for you! It's amazing what you can do even if you think you can't. I skipped over to the elliptical from my usual treadmill at the gym yesterday, thinking I would last oh...maybe 3-4 minutes. I managed 20 minutes with just a couple "pauses". I was PUMPED! I am now adding that on to my everyday routine and eventually hoping to ditch the treadmill. Pushing yourself is so hard at times, but so rewarding.
  • sneakers71
    Options
    that's wonderful and your post is very inspiring, thanks for sharing!
  • mccoleman
    Options
    Great Job! Same here, I haven't been much of a runner, but I'm trying to incorporate it in my walking. It just seems like it's a slow go!
  • Jalfie
    Jalfie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    WELL DONE YOU..I know just how good you're feeling. It took me forever to notch up a comfortable 1 mile..I went out in my lunch break every day jog walking from tree to tree.. But once I got a comfortable 1 mile under my belt I knew I could do 2. Before I knew it I was a slow jogger but able to do 3-5 mile a day /Race for life/5k/10k/and a half Marathon. I was always the last to come in though but that didn't bother me.
    Keep going..It's all downhill from here...lol
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Way to keep pushing, this is a GREAT accomplishment! I am starting the C25K program tomorrow and so excited. I have always wanted to be a runner (I did cross country in middle school) but then gained all this icky weight. Time to run it off! Good luck to you, and keep on pushing yourself!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yay, You're cardio system is starting to keep up to you! Keep on running! :happy:
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! I know sometimes when I get on the treadmill I surprise myself with how long I can go (who knew?). Then there are days when it's all I can do to make sure I do at least a mile. Just stick with it. Good for you!
  • heathergale1
    heathergale1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well done - go girl!
  • princessdrake
    princessdrake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I've recently started a 10K training program and like you I'm not a runner at all! I was worried the first week when I had to run 2 miles but I actually did it. This past Sunday was 3 miles and I did that too!! The training programs definitely work, and you'll amaze yourself with what you can really do when you apply yourself 100% Keep up the good work!!