I Need to be More Motivated!

Options
Hi all! I joined this because I feel like I really need to lose weight, through both exercise and eating better. So far, I've been pretty good with eating better, if anything, but I have no motivation to get up in the morning and do that mile run or 7 minute work out. Anyone have any ideas on how to help?

Replies

• All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Maybe a morning workout isn't the best time for your schedule to get your exercising in. Why not try a different time?
  • focusedonfitness2015
    focusedonfitness2015 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from within...inspiration comes from others.

I CANNOT get up in the morning and workout. I've tried. I've failed. Its just not me. So, I make time for it after work. I will either do a walk/run with my 6yo or take her to the gym with me. She gets to play with other kids her age while I get my workout on. If you're not a morning workout person, dont beat yourself up over it. We are all different...Find what works for you
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I joined this because I feel like I really need to lose weight, through both exercise and eating better. So far, I've been pretty good with eating better, if anything, but I have no motivation to get up in the morning and do that mile run or 7 minute work out. Anyone have any ideas on how to help?

There are two kinds of self-discipline. There is the kind which you get up and go to work, finish, do your taxes etc. Then there is the kind where you need to keep doing something everyday and you may not see "immediate" results. People are notoriously bad at keeping long-term goals. Particularly in this "instant gratification" society. I didn't really understand this until recently. I'm almost 30 for Pete's sakes! So don't be so hard on yourself. The kind of self-discipline to get up at 5am and run everyday, and eat right everyday, is developed over time. Its not going to happen over night. Take it one day at a time.

I would start by making sure your diet regime is in order. Once you can follow though on that. Slowly add exercise back in, starting 2-3 days a week.
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also cannot for the life of me workout in the morning. It just isn't gonna happen. I do everything in the evening an hour after my last meal. Feel free to add me :)
  • mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    I personally started riding my bike to work. So it is permanently built into my daily routine during the week because I have made it so that I have no other option to get to work, this includes rain and snow. Otherwise your job has to require you to basically be working out all day. Without the possibility of either of these options you need a combination of motivation and some sort of routine that you can hold yourself accountable to. You have to find a way to enjoy your exercise for this method to work. A bodybuilder for example is obsessed with working out and nutrition, most people are not like this.

Also, if you do end up working out make sure you consider what you are eating for proper energy and muscle repair.
  • catseyedawn
    catseyedawn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did the get up at 430 am for a little while- it just isn't for me. I felt I wasn't getting enough sleep and I probably wasn't because adjusting my night to earlier just isn't going to happen with 2 kids and homework, game time etc. I have had to put my working out time in the evening. So far that isn't working well either. I mean I exercised yesterday but it was a non work day. We shall see what tonight brings.

Day 2.
  • ginger_ninja42
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just remember that whatever others might recommend, the plan you can stick to is better than the plan you can't sustain. You may have to experiment to see what works for you.

I usually find if I'm not motivated, there's a reason that I need to work through. eg. as some suggested, maybe morning exercising just isn't your best time. I know it's not mine. If I tried to do the 6 a.m. gym thing, I would fail. The less I beat up on myself for lack of motivation and the more I try to figure out why it's not working for me, the better off I usually am.