Tracking calories burned..fitbit, HRM,ect

Options
I just need straight facts, no fluff..

I do HIIT, Circuit Training, Kickboxing and running..I want a gizmo to help in tracking my calorie burn..From what Im reading, a HRM is probably the way to go..

Fitbit's, to me, seem more geared towards walking and "motivating"...but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nope...

HRM woul dbe good for the Running only...and even then it's an estimate based on data entered.

I say this because HRM are for steady state cardio and HIIT/Circut training/Kick boxing are not that...only running is.

I have a jawbone (similar) and it doesn't really track my weight lifting/HIIT/Circut training etc...

Just enter your stuff into MFP and take 50-75% of them...
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    hmm..OK..so really it would be best for the running..
    friends of mine are walkers and using a fitbit..would a fitbit work similarly, if Im running versus walking?
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I've never owned a FitBit but I have had a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor for years and love it. I use it whenever I am working out, whether it be my Insanity or T25 dvd's, dancing with my Kinect or running.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    hmm..OK..so really it would be best for the running..
    friends of mine are walkers and using a fitbit..would a fitbit work similarly, if Im running versus walking?
    Fitbits estimate running fine.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM for all activity including HIIT, running with the exception of swimming, but I use my fitbit to encourage me to move around more as I work at a desk all day so this encourages me to get up and move around the office even if it is to the water machine once an hour.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    I have a desk job til 5 too..I already try to walk as much as I can during the day..but would love something that I could slap on when I run (and/or workout) to see where my heartrate hits and the calories I burn.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    fitbit is for everyday activities/movement. hrm is for exercise. you need both to get a full picture. but if you don't want a full picture... sure, pick one!