Low carb - all the way

Options
Hi there - i'm new - been on My Fitness Pal for a whole 2 weeks. I had an epiphony on 11 Jan (my birthday) - found this app (kismet) and have done a bunch of research whilst recording my first week - of what I actually normally eat.

Well - very telling - I ate carbs and more carbs. Bread, poattoes, rice, pasta, more bread, pasties, pies.

I've decided that I can have no more than 50g of carbs a day now and I am filling up on meat and nuts instead. Already I feel less bloated (in just one week) and I feel like I might actually have some control.

Has anyone got good advice about what toning exercises to do whilst I go through this change as I'm worries abut skin tone and being flabby-skinned if I lose my target 5 stone.......?

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is probably a good idea.....but I would still eat the healthy carbs.

Fruit, vegetables and small amounts of whole grain rice and pasta.

That's my 2 cents worth.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i'm restricting carbs to no more than 100g per day as a max. I tend to stay within a 60 to 80g/day. Carbs are one of the many triggering factors in my binge eating and I know it's the only way to control my eating habits until I get assisted help. Like you, I feel less bloated and lost 1.5 inchs from my waist after 1 week. I've done this before and it's helped, but like with all ED's there's potential for relapse

I wish you the very best in your low carb journey :)
  • blbradford87
    Options
    zumba! it really really works!
  • warrior_underdog
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of eating no processed carbs and it's been hard but getting easier, and I feel great. So no bread, tortillas, chips, croutons, crackers, and such. I've been eating a lot of fresh veggies, quinoa, fruits, oats, and soups. I think it was a great thing to do short-term, but I will be bringing back whole wheat carbs next week. I'll be more aware of carbs though, that's for sure!

I definitely wouldn't limit carbs from fruits and especially veggies though, you need vegetables like it's no one's business! Most people don't get nearly enough, some only get a few servings a day! I aim for 10 servings of veggies (and 2 fruits) a day. But cutting down and limiting unhealthy carbs is a great idea!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks for all your advice.

I intend to get all my carbs from fruit and veggies.

I have bought loads of fish and lean meat and loads of beans for fibre so that I can get a natural balanced regime going. I'm not looking at this like a diet - I'm trying to form new habits of eating that will stay with me forever.

I am listening to Paul McKenna's cd's on getting thin, and eating more slowly, I am really tasting my food. I have given up chocolate and alcohol because my body doesn't need them and I always pay for it afterwards anyway!

I never want to be this big again - EVER
  • MarciMcBride
    Options
    I havent tried the low carbs way, but I know by just cutting your portion sizes in half and working out, you'll the results you want. I am def a carb girl, thats my problem. I try to stick with the whole wheats and multigrains. You do have to make it a lifestyle and not refer to it as a diet. Doing zumba is a great way to tone as well as jump stretch! Jump Stretch is by the BEST workout Ive ever done. I felt like I climbed out of the shower when it was over. And during the workout, you're having fun and dont even realize you're working your body so hard. Its amazing.
    Good luck on ur journey!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Have bought Xbox 360 and Zumba - hope it's as good as you say it is! Have lost 9lbs so far in 25 days so pretty pleased with that. Lets hope Zumba can get it shifted even quicker. I'm eating about 80g carbs a day and have ramped up my protein and veggies. Also no chocs, no alcohol, no coffee, and no pastries or cakes. I'm eating every three hours or so and am struggling to reach the 1200 cal limit per day - usually manage 1000, and I'm too full to eat any more. Maybe its because i'm drinking so much more water? who knows.
  • ldmurphy
    Options
    Love Zumba!!!
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Low carb has definitely worked for me in the past. I'm a powerlifter and strongman competitor so I love my carbs, I've been using carb cycling and had some good success with it. Good luck with your goals.