1200 Calories.....the truth.

Options
Sorry but.....if 1200 calories is 'not enough/too few calories/starvation mode' then why does MFP suggest that low?

I'm 152cm, 149.8lb and wanting to loose 35lbs possibly by the end of the year. MFP has always suggested I eat 1200 calories.

Why is everyone saying that's so bad for you if MFP it's self is suggesting it?

I'm confused.

I'm eating 1200 calories and I feel satisfied. I don't know what the deal is.

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Sorry but.....if 1200 calories is 'not enough/too few calories/starvation mode' then why does MFP suggest that low?

I'm 152cm, 149.8lb and wanting to loose 35lbs possibly by the end of the year. MFP has always suggested I eat 1200 calories.

I'm confused.

MFP doesn't "suggest" anything anymore than your pocket calculator "suggests" an answer to a math problem. They are both tools that you use to derive an answer based on what YOU input. They have no brain, they don't give advice.

If you tell MFP that you want to lose 2 pounds a week and that you are sedentary and weigh 150 pounds as a 5' tall woman for example it is going to crunch the numbers and find a number that is lower than 1200 (because that is the answer) and it is going to spit back 1200 because 1200 is as low as it is set to go.

Does that mean you should do that? No. Is MFP to blame? No....no more than a calculator is to blame when you get the answer wrong on a math test.

The reason that it is most likely bad for you is that it is extremely difficult to get the nutrition you need from so few calories unless you are very strict in your diet.

Are you currently getting enough iron? Enough calcium? Are you tracking that at all?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

I'm confused.

Well for starters I'm pretty sure your eating more than 1200 anyway. You have logged things like a Fillet of salmon. how big heavy was that salmon what size was it? Also you've logged a Plate of some chicken dish, Not sure when a plate was an accurate measurement or a Chicken fillet. Not all chickens are the same size. I could go on looking through your diary there are many inaccuracies Have a look at the link that will help you be more accurate but I would bet anything on you eating nearer 1500 calories in reality

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

As for the rest Aaron summed it up well enough. MFP is a calculator that's it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Micro nutrients is very important.

Aaron already said the answer.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

I'm confused.

MFP doesn't "suggest" anything anymore than your pocket calculator "suggests" an answer to a math problem. They are both tools that you use to derive an answer based on what YOU input. They have no brain, they don't give advise.

If you tell MFP that you want to lose 2 pounds a week and that you are sedentary and weigh 150 pounds as a 5' tall woman for example it is going to crunch the numbers and find a number that is lower than 1200 (because that is the answer) and it is going to spit back 1200 because 1200 is as low as it is set to go.

Does that mean you should do that? No. Is MFP to blame? No....no more than a calculator is to blame when you get the answer wrong on a math test.

The reason that it is most likely bad for you is that it is extremely difficult to get the nutrition you need from so few calories unless you are very strict in your diet.

Are you currently getting enough iron? Enough calcium? Are you tracking that at all?

^That.

MFP is simply a tool that assigns a calorie goal based on the information you give it. As mentioned above, 1200 calories a day is usually considered the minimum for women because below that number, it becomes much more difficult to give your body the nutrition it needs to stay healthy.

Many people who sign up for MFP end up inputting very aggressive weight loss goals because they want to lose weight quickly. MFP will give you a calorie goal based on those goals, even though those goals and that calorie number may not be appropriate for your current size or activity level. If you want to learn to fuel your body appropriately, you have to learn the basic math and science behind how weight loss/gain/maintenance works and apply those fundamentals to yourself on a more specific level.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    152 cm. is around 5' tall, so you might be fine at 1200. While I agree with others on this thread that you have to be more accurate in tracking (get a food scale and use measuring cups for liquids), many smaller women who are less active do fine with that number of calories. The concern is that most people aren't that small, and on this site, you'll find young women (usually under 25) who are 5'5" and burning 500 calories or more in exercise and eating that little to lose the last 5 "vanity pounds." I'm 5'1.5" and managing at 1200, but I do "eat back" my exercise calories. If you were to exercise a lot, eating only 1200 could put you at less safe deficit; for example, today I burned 439 calories in zumba, so if I didn't "eat back" some of that, my actual "net" calories would be 761, which would be an unsafe level. To be on the safe side try to net at least above 1000 every day.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    MFP enforces you EAT those calories back. Eating 1200 calories and working out to burn 1000 calories only gives your body 200 calories of energy from food. This isn't bad if you are very overweight or obese as your body will turn to excess fat. If you are only 10-20lbs overweight you will be loosing muscle at higher rate. You'd have to be an idiot to recommend 1200 calories with exercise.
    It's either you stick to the deficit, eat back your deficit or eat more.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    152 cm. is around 5' tall, so you might be fine at 1200. While I agree with others on this thread that you have to be more accurate in tracking (get a food scale and use measuring cups for liquids), many smaller women who are less active do fine with that number of calories. The concern is that most people aren't that small, and on this site, you'll find young women (usually under 25) who are 5'5" and burning 500 calories or more in exercise and eating that little to lose the last 5 "vanity pounds." I'm 5'1.5" and managing at 1200, but I do "eat back" my exercise calories. If you were to exercise a lot, eating only 1200 could put you at less safe deficit; for example, today I burned 439 calories in zumba, so if I didn't "eat back" some of that, my actual "net" calories would be 761, which would be an unsafe level. To be on the safe side try to net at least above 1000 every day.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

A 5' tall 150 pound 25 year old woman has a BMR of 1450. That means even sedentary a TDEE of about 1800. 1200 calories is very agressive even at 5' tall and sedentary.

For 1200 to be reasonable you have to be fairly obese 5' tall and in your 60s I think. Other than that you are probably trying to lose too quickly and not taking into account your bodies dietary needs with regards to micronutrients.

Am I saying its impossible to eat 1200 calories, lose weight, retain your muscle and get all your micros? No, not totally impossible if you are 5' tall....but very very difficult.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Didn't you know? EVERYONE on here besides you is a registered dietitian and/or doctor.

Also, I think MFP will drop down only to 1200 in their formula due to legal regulations surrounding commercial weightloss and nutrition company advertising. That way anyone can put in whatever insane aggressive goals they want and boom: 1200 cals.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Rosebette said (for the most part). I am 5'2", 53 years old and was 116 pounds when I started. I put in my loss at .5 per week and MFP came back with 1200 (or I set it manually to 1200). So 1200 isn't "always" too low. I also see posts that women should have 2000 calories a day. I would gain everything back if I did that.
    Make sure you log everything and eat a well balanced meal. If you feel weak, get headaches or just don't feel good at 1200, don't do it. You won't be able to stick with it. SLOW is the best way for lasting results.
    Now for the part about "eating back" calories. Almost everyone will say eat back 50% or so since MFP calorie burn estimates are off by at least that. I did not eat back calories and I was fine (again, consider my height and weight). I would eat more though if I was feeling really hungry.
    Edited because you are a lot younger than me, you could do more than 1200.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I agree with what Rosebette said (for the most part). I am 5'2", 53 years old and was 116 pounds when I started. I put in my loss at .5 per week and MFP came back with 1200 (or I set it manually to 1200). So 1200 isn't "always" too low. I also see posts that women should have 2000 calories a day. I would gain everything back if I did that.
    Make sure you log everything and eat a well balanced meal. If you feel weak, get headaches or just don't feel good at 1200, don't do it. You won't be able to stick with it. SLOW is the best way for lasting results.
    Now for the part about "eating back" calories. Almost everyone will say eat back 50% or so since MFP calorie burn estimates are off by at least that. I did not eat back calories and I was fine (again, consider my height and weight). I would eat more though if I was feeling really hungry.
    Edited because you are a lot younger than me, you could do more than 1200.

No it isn't "always" to low, but it is too low 95% of the time and you would be shocked at how many 20 year olds are eating 1200 calories on here because MFP "told them" to.

Personally I think 1200 calories is a pretty extreme diet for a 20 year old and I'd never advise it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

A 5' tall 150 pound 25 year old woman has a BMR of 1450. That means even sedentary a TDEE of about 1800. 1200 calories is very agressive even at 5' tall and sedentary.

For 1200 to be reasonable you have to be fairly obese 5' tall and in your 60s I think. Other than that you are probably trying to lose too quickly and not taking into account your bodies dietary needs with regards to micronutrients.

Am I saying its impossible to eat 1200 calories, lose weight, retain your muscle and get all your micros? No, not totally impossible if you are 5' tall....but very very difficult.

As you know, the BMR calculators are just an estimate, and vary quite a bit. Your number looks like the Harris-Benedict formula, but at my estimated body fat level (which is probably not too different from the OP's, as I'm 5'3, 155), the Mifflin-St Jeor is a better bet, and puts her at 1348. Increase the body fat some (which is entirely possible, but I think M-SJ is likely to be pretty good) and use Katch-McArdle, and it could be down at 1250 or so. So I'd hate to tell her that she MUST have a BMR of 1450. We don't really know.

Beyond that, what matters, of course, is deficit from TDEE. If she works out about 3 days a week, the numbers go from 1725 to 2025, with M-SJ in the middle (but closer to the lower end) at 1825. If we change that to 5 days a week, the numbers range from 1825 to 2150, with M-SJ at 1975. So a fair estimate for one pound a week would be 1325 or so if she works out 3 days a week and 1475 if she works out 5 days a week.

Either of those is quite consistent with a 1200 net number, which is what MFP is giving her.

And, yes, lots of 20 year olds with little to lose use MFP wrong, and there seems to be an epidemic lately of people who think it makes you tougher or more virtuous not to eat back any exercise.
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options

Didn't you know? EVERYONE on here besides you is a registered dietitian and/or doctor.

Also, I think MFP will drop down only to 1200 in their formula due to legal regulations surrounding commercial weightloss and nutrition company advertising. That way anyone can put in whatever insane aggressive goals they want and boom: 1200 cals.

^^ This explains the know-it-alls in just about every thread on the boards...

OP: if 1200 works for you then don't let these PhD's tell you differently
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I'm confused.

MFP doesn't "suggest" anything anymore than your pocket calculator "suggests" an answer to a math problem. They are both tools that you use to derive an answer based on what YOU input. They have no brain, they don't give advice.

Best response ever.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

And don't let the other PhD's confirm what might be unhealthy for you.

That road... it goes both ways.
  • Eselte
    Options
    I guess MFP is encouraging eating disorders now huh?
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating 1200 cals, you're just going to lose more muscle than if you had a smaller deficit.
    Meaning you will just be smaller and fatter.

This sites forums are worse than miley cyrus
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I guess MFP is encouraging eating disorders now huh?

No, but it's not really discouraging them either.

That's down to a community of people trying to put the right information out there so that people don't have to endanger their health unnecessarily.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

And don't let the other PhD's confirm what might be unhealthy for you.

That road... it goes both ways.

True true. At the end of the day you are responsible for your own health so find what works for you and if you want to reach out to others for help, make sure the source is reputable.
  • Eselte
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating 1200 cals, you're just going to lose more muscle than if you had a smaller deficit.

^ That's what I meant to say.

My apologies for being snarky.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I'm confused.

MFP absolutely does suggest an intake level. It has been programmed by people (with brains) who chose 1200 as the floor value. They chose that number for a reason, it wasn't random.