Another question for the ladies.....

First of all this is the first time in my life that I have stuck with counting calories and exercising. Been doing this since May 5th and lost approx. 36 lbs. (I did not weigh when I started - too ashamed) I am half-way now and soooooo excited!!!!

Anyway I am noticing a big change in my legs. Yes they are getting stronger, however, the skin is so cottage cheesy now. I was never smooth to begin with but, omg, now ugh!!! When I do planks and look down towards my legs the skin "is hanging off" YUCK!!! Any advice??? Will this go away??? And I am not one of the fortunates to have the money to invest thousands on an all body tuck or a girl lift (that's ugly too):ohwell:

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Never had this problem myself but I've got big legs no matter what I do. I've seen a few people tout lifting to help with this.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    First of all this is the first time in my life that I have stuck with counting calories and exercising. Been doing this since May 5th and lost approx. 36 lbs. (I did not weigh when I started - too ashamed) I am half-way now and soooooo excited!!!!

Anyway I am noticing a big change in my legs. Yes they are getting stronger, however, the skin is so cottage cheesy now. I was never smooth to begin with but, omg, now ugh!!! When I do planks and look down towards my legs the skin "is hanging off" YUCK!!! Any advice??? Will this go away??? And I am not one of the fortunates to have the money to invest thousands on an all body tuck or a girl lift (that's ugly too):ohwell:

I'm sorry I don't have an answer but I am going to have this issue and am interested in the replies.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    i don't have an answer either but I have this issue with my stomach. ugh its disgusting and I wish I did have the money for a tummy tuck. I am just starting off on this journey so I hope it gets better soon. I wonder if age plays a factor
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Ha! I noticed the same saggy knee skin doing planks just the other day ( I don't dare look at my stomach when I do planks). You can't see it when I'm standing up though so I never noticed I had it. Sorry to say, some of it's an age thing :-( There is always the option of building muscle to try and "fill in" the areas, but other than that I don't think there is much we can do about it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    k never look down when doing planks...ever.

but the skin does tighten up some with time.

As for the legs the same...skin will tighten up after a while.

I find if I don't stay hydrated enough my skin shows some sage. (I am almost 42, had a child and was over weight for 20 years, child is 20 imagine)

and when I stand up and flex there is no sag, no "cottage cheese" it's when I am in certian positions ie planks for my belly..

Again as for the legs I suspect as you continue to lose weight the "cottage cheese" look will diminish but it may not go away at all when sitting...
  • Thank you for the responses. I'm gonna keep going. Maybe it will get better; maybe it won't. The age thing does play a role. I am 48. I'm gonna work harder on the lower exercises. I am doing T25 and they literally have some killer exercises. It kills me every time on my legs! Hubby wants to start saving money for a boob job. I told him "no I'm not" I'll just have to find an "uplifting bra" and turn the lights off when the bra comes off!:embarassed:

Maybe someone else will have a response.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Is this cellulite or loose skin? A combination of the two?

I have some cellulite (don't we all) but it doesn't sag the way you describe...it could be age, or body composition.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I did a paleo diet for a few months, and I noticed my cellulite was greatly reduced. As soon as I changed my diet, it came right back.

I've never heard anyone else attribute cellulite to their diet.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    I had that issue when I first started losing. Loose skin on my legs, bumpy textured, almost like there was space underneath? Especially noticeable right over my knees. It was awful. Glad to say it has resolved itself now. I do bike a lot, and now my legs are pretty much muscular, but even around the knee area, no more loose skin. So I would say hang in there, keep exercising, and it will sort out. Oh and I'm 48, so the same age as you are!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Thank you for the responses. I'm gonna keep going. Maybe it will get better; maybe it won't. The age thing does play a role. I am 48. I'm gonna work harder on the lower exercises. I am doing T25 and they literally have some killer exercises. It kills me every time on my legs! Hubby wants to start saving money for a boob job. I told him "no I'm not" I'll just have to find an "uplifting bra" and turn the lights off when the bra comes off!:embarassed:

Maybe someone else will have a response.

If it's cellulite, it's genetic but it can be mitigated. There are lots of products out there that I don't put a lot of stock in like caffeine skin rubs and massagers. I don't know if they are worth the money or just fad products for those desperate enough to throw money at gimmicks but many have had success through increasing muscle mass. The cellulite doesn't go away but the increased mass (and I'm not talking about huge, just increased) makes it less noticeable. Squatting with progressive load weights is something you could try.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Drink more water, do muscle-building exercises, and probably the skin will (slowly) adjust to your new shape.
    I noticed the same saggy knee skin doing planks just the other day ( I don't dare look at my stomach when I do planks).
    How do you see your knees without looking at/past your stomach??? :ohwell:
    Hubby wants to start saving money for a boob job. I told him "no I'm not" I'll just have to find an "uplifting bra" and turn the lights off when the bra comes off!
    For finding a nice, pretty, supportive bra that _fits_, I love Allure. They have stores where you can get fitted & pampered, but if you know your size (get measured, don't guess) you can order online.
    http://www.allurefits.com/
    When I was down 40 lb none of my bras fit, so I went to one of our local stores and oh, my! Smaller band size than I've worn in a long time, but a larger cup than I've ever worn! Obviously I was not doing it right when I was shopping for myself. Department stores don't have anything approaching the right size for me.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    How do you see your knees without looking at/past your stomach??? :ohwell:

Easy, my clothing covers up my stomach (spandex works well to hold it all tight).