Golfing On The Cheap

Options
Hey MFP World.

Last Friday, I went to my second annual company golf tournament. I had a blast, and with a couple of little tips from my team mates, I was doing extremely well (for someone who really had no idea what he was doing). I drove as far as the guy who won last year, and I saved our teams butt a few times. We finished on par, partly due to everyone becoming exhausted by the last few holes, partly because the best player on our team got too drunk to play well at the same time.

Anyway, after the last tournament, I wanted to get into it, even though I seriously sucked. Now, I'm convinced this is the new sport I want to get into. I loved every aspect of it!

Now, here's the problem: I'm a recent college grad and therefore don't really have any money to play with...

So, for the golfers out there: Do you have any suggestions for a n00b on how to get into the sport on a shoestring budget? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Pickup a set of used clubs off EBay or Craigs List. Rock Bottom Golf often has good deals on new clubs. Search your community for low cost municipal courses - residents often get a much reduced rate for playing at home. Afternoons and weekdays are always cheaper than weekend mornings. You can also search for group lessons through your community college or other programs to learn some of the basics that you won't pickup simply by playing. Best of luck - but be forewarned, once the bug bites, it can become an expensive hobby!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Best of luck - but be forewarned, once the bug bites, it can become an expensive hobby!

I don't do cheap hobbies! (Cars, mountain biking, photography...)

Thank you for the tips!
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Look for a place that sells used clubs, we have a place here called 2nd Swing and you can usually get a pretty good set of clubs cheap if you don't already have clubs. Second, look at your local course and see if they offer special discounts for playing before or after a certain time of the day. I know our local course has a twilight special where you can play as many holes as you want for $20 if you start after 5 pm, that includes the cart.
  • wcroston138
    wcroston138 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Buy used clubs at a second hand sporting goods store.

Look for twilight or double twilight rates and golf after work.

Skip the cart and walk when able. However, courses won't allow you to do this when it is busy.

Shop around for the most affordable course in your area.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Pickup a set of used clubs off EBay or Craigs List. Rock Bottom Golf often has good deals on new clubs. Search your community for low cost municipal courses - residents often get a much reduced rate for playing at home. Afternoons and weekdays are always cheaper than weekend mornings. You can also search for group lessons through your community college or other programs to learn some of the basics that you won't pickup simply by playing. Best of luck - but be forewarned, once the bug bites, it can become an expensive hobby!

These are great suggestions! At most of the municipal courses in my area if you play early evening on weeknights a full round is only about $25 bucks (even cheaper if you walk the course)
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Thanks all.

So far, it seems like the suggestions are fairly consistent: buy used, play during twilight hours and on weekdays. Don't use carts.

I do have another question: How do you practice during the winter? i've found a couple of indoor places to play, but memberships are in the $600 range. That's quite steep...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

So far, it seems like the suggestions are fairly consistent: buy used, play during twilight hours and on weekdays. Don't use carts.

I do have another question: How do you practice during the winter? i've found a couple of indoor places to play, but memberships are in the $600 range. That's quite steep...

A lot of places have deals for making your tee-time on line too.

Unless you're going to practice every Saturday and Sunday, just pay the single time. My winter practice is usually Tiger Woods on the Wii or PS3
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP World.

Last Friday, I went to my second annual company golf tournament. I had a blast, and with a couple of little tips from my team mates, I was doing extremely well (for someone who really had no idea what he was doing). I drove as far as the guy who won last year, and I saved our teams butt a few times. We finished on par, partly due to everyone becoming exhausted by the last few holes, partly because the best player on our team got too drunk to play well at the same time.

Anyway, after the last tournament, I wanted to get into it, even though I seriously sucked. Now, I'm convinced this is the new sport I want to get into. I loved every aspect of it!

Now, here's the problem: I'm a recent college grad and therefore don't really have any money to play with...

So, for the golfers out there: Do you have any suggestions for a n00b on how to get into the sport on a shoestring budget? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, buy a wii, or get hired at a golf course.

Golf is like fly fishing. It ain't for the poor or the cheap.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Hey MFP World.

Yeah, buy a wii, or get hired at a golf course.

Golf is like fly fishing. It ain't for the poor or the cheap.

I guess that's why you can't afford either.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya!

I picked up a bag and a set of clubs at a yard sale for 20 bucks. Not long after that we found another set for 15 bucks. Not top of the line stuff of course, but not bad for just getting into it.

I've been playing for about a year, and have picked up a club here and there at thrift stores as well - less than $2 a club, and some nice ones! I pick up golf balls there too - always nice to have some in the bag to pull out when I'm faced with a tough water hazard or other potential for losing balls. :tongue:

As others have said, check Craigslist and other online sale sites (there's a local sporting goods page on Facebook for my area, sort of like Craigslist on Facebook) - often people are just cleaning out their garage and want to get rid of the stuff cheap.

To save money on the game itself, we snatch up the local online coupons when they come around - Groupon, Living Social, Deal Saver often have deals for local courses. Booking tee times online might save a few bucks too. And get yourself on GolfNow for your area - I get daily emails for last minute tee times super cheap.

Fun sport sometimes, frustrating as all get out at others - but I love being outside and spending several hours out on the course with my hubby or friends. Good walking exercise too!