Eating out of boredom

Options
I am still trying to break a habit of eating out of boredom when I am not hungry.Anyone have desiee of snacking all the time?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat almost all the time. Not even because I'm bored. I just like to snack. My boyfriend suggested I'd save a lot on electricity if I just put the stuff in a cooler and stopped opening the fridge 50 times a day. I may do that one of these days. :)

I eat grapes, raisins, berries, lettuce and salsa. If I ate actual snack food, I wouldn't fit through a door. :)
  • chaoswife
    chaoswife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I enjoy snacking. I eat lots of carrots and celery. There is practically no calories so you can eat and eat!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For me this is Reason #1 that I eat 3 meals a day and no snacks. If I allowed myself to graze on food all day, that's exactly what I would do. While it works great for some people it is not for me.

This is also why I don't have a lot of appealing snacks in my office at work. Just some bare minimum stuff. If I had a desk drawer filled with Halloween candy right now I'd get bored and eat half of it by 3 pm probably.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I used to just eat mindlessly all the time. It really was surprisingly easy to stop doing this once I started tracking what I was actually eating.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I ate when I was bored, and that's how I got fat. I would make several different trips to the vending machine every day at work claiming that I was starving. But I wasn't.

Now I keep myself busy, and it's not much of an issue anymore.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    For me this is Reason #1 that I eat 3 meals a day and no snacks. If I allowed myself to graze on food all day, that's exactly what I would do. While it works great for some people it is not for me.

This is also why I don't have a lot of appealing snacks in my office at work. Just some bare minimum stuff. If I had a desk drawer filled with Halloween candy right now I'd get bored and eat half of it by 3 pm probably.

I wish I could do this.Eating out of boredom is what got me into trouble in the first place. Those small calories add up fast
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    What I do when I find myself getting bored and starting to snack I get up and do something different. Well at least I try too!
    Also, get rid of all the unhealthy snacks and keep fresh fruits, veggies and nuts around so you’ll make smarter decisions.
    Good luck!
  • Tanie98
    Options

This is also why I don't have a lot of appealing snacks in my office at work. Just some bare minimum stuff. If I had a desk drawer filled with Halloween candy right now I'd get bored and eat
  • Tanie98
    Options
    What I do when I find myself getting bored and starting to snack I get up and do something different. Well at least I try too!
    Also, get rid of all the unhealthy snacks and keep fresh fruits, veggies and nuts around so you’ll make smarter decisions.
    Good luck!
    [/quote

I will try that:drinker:
  • LuckyShimmer
    LuckyShimmer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a snacking habit too, especially in the evening and at night and usually out of boredom too. But there's one thing that helps me forget about snacking and it's water.
    Every time I work late on a drawing or sit behind the computer/TV, I want to snack on something, but to get rid of that need to eat, I just keep a bottle of water near me. Every time I feel like I want to eat something, I drink water. And just drinking from a glass don't work on me, I need to have a bottle full of water or else, I'm going to attack the fridge. But for me, that really works. Water contains no calories whatsoever and it gives you that 'full stomach' feel. I don't feel hungry when I drink nor do I feel the need to constantly snack on something.
    I suggest you try drinking water instead of snacking, but if that doesn't work, just eat something low on calories like cucumbers, carrots, heck, even popcorn if you want something salty. Yes, popcorn doesn't contain much calories, it's a nice salty snack that won't make you fat.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    [/quote

I will try that:drinker:

Also drink loads of water, I try and get 12 or more servings a day. Get a water bottle with a built in filter so you can drink water most anywhere you go. I’ll fill mine up at public water fountains that I may have drank from without a filtered bottle. Water can help you feel fuller longer; also high protein foods will make you feel full longer too.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,141 Member
    Options
    I chew gum and/or get busy doing something where I can't eat, like crocheting or playing video games.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i used to do that A LOT. What helped me was right before i was about to eat i would ask myself am i really hungry? is my body showing real signs of hunger? or am i just craving and bored? then once i answered i either ate cause i was truly hungry or didn't. But its hard because you have to be true to yourself, its easy to say yes im hungry when you are really not. Good luck!
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I recommend highly addictive game apps on your phone. I downloaded My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and it drastically cut back my snacking just because I was so engrossed in progressing in the game. :tongue:
  • 1Pmarie
    1Pmarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think there are a couple different approaches.

When people stop smoking, there are people like me that just stop. That's it. One day you just stop and never have another cigarette for the rest of your life.

Then, there are people that replace smoking with vaping; or whatever, or they get patches. They maintain all their smoking habits, like vaping after every meal, etc.

In my mind, and this is just me and the way I do things, but the only way to stop is to just stop. To say you can't is saying you can't control your behavior. You can if you want to. What you have to do is change your behavior. Change your habits. It is hard, and you might slip from time to time, but instead of replacing the snacking on bad foods to snacking on good foods, just stop snacking. You really don't need it. Snacking is a relatively new thing that started maybe in the 80's, maybe late 70's. Before that, it really wasn't a thing. It's marketing that got us all to snack and eat more. Don't be a victim. Just stop doing it.

That's my take on it. Not everyone will agree, it's just my opinion and the way I'm wired.

I think this is a great way to think & very helpful! :)
    I'm currently in Technical Training for the AF and all the students in my class snack the entire day!
    It's really hard to keep myself from joining in....especially because they are snacking on delicious junk food!:love:
    This really helped me bring it into perspective though, snacking, especially on junk, is not good for your body.
    It's all about mind over matter!
    I