My first day here-need tons of help!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and somewhat new to trying to lose weight. I am a whopping …lbs. (I still can’t say it). Suffice it to say that I am morbidly obese and need to lose over 100lbs. I have tried losing weight on my own and lost 15 lbs., but gained it all back. Because I am not crazy…(maybe) I won’t continue to do the same thing and expect different results, so I have decided to choose the support of others who are in the same boat as I am.

After reading some posts in the forum, I have to admit that many of you are more positive and gung ho about losing weight than I feel. I am not very optimistic, because I don’t know anything new today than I did yesterday in terms of weight loss. I am hoping that being with you knowledgeable folks will educate me and improve my outlook. Because this weight loss thing is waaay more complicated than it seems.

Please feel free to post me any tips, tricks, and information that you think a newbie can use, because believe me I can use as much help as you can offer.:smile:

Replies

• soloaquiles
    Options
    Hi Yseut

Hope this app work it's worked for me but I've been doing a lot of stuff and I stopped eating healthy I know you'll loose your weight and look great! :) just record anything you do and in no time I'll become a habit and you won't be able to live with out it :) ha
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Losing weight isn't complicated. Eat less calories than you burn. Log all your food and try to come in under your MFP allotment of calories each day. You can do it! And welcome to MFP!
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi

The fact you are reaching out and being honest about your struggle is a sign of grwoth and progress. Take comfort in that.

The past is done. The future will be here soon enough. Try and focus on today & today only. Its all we have to work with.

3 months ago, I weighed 312 pounds. I woulda been dead in 5 years if I hadn't made this commitment. All signs were pointing that way.

Just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible. I cannot stress this enough.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady. At the end of the day, we are the man in the mirror. We are accountable to ourselves and no one else. We can help you with getting there, but the doing is up to you. Leave rationalizing at the door, and sontinue to be honest with yourself. Its the only path to long term success

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance) - remember to be honest with yourself all the time. Ultimately, you will achieve that which you are seeking much sooner.

If you will stay committed to this, your MFP tribe will commit to helping. Why? Because that's what we do. And we have ALL been there.

Three months ago? I couldn't move. Saturday? I burned 1400 calories exercising. Because? I wanted to.

You got this.. ...and we got YOUR back

FR headed your way

Fsunami
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me as a friend. I just started back about a month ago. I lost 10 pounds and need to lose much more. What has worked for me is to log everything on to your MFP, even when you go off course. I used to say I'm not going to log that big Mexican dinner, but when I do it really helps to see how many calories those things are. It also helped me to cut out the diet drinks (I was drinking 4-6 a day) plus artificial sweetners. I did the Beyond Diet 14-day program and it was only $47 and told me what to eat each day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It showed me how to eat healthy and cut out a lot of carbs. I feel better than I have in a long time. You can do whatever diet you want on here, but be consistent in logging your food, drinking lots of water, and trying to move more. You can do it!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's honestly not as complicated as so many try to make it. Start by plugging your numbers into MFP. Then try to hit the calorie goal it gives you.

All that is absolutely necessary for weight loss is to burn more calories than you consume.
  • fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm new as well. Read the post under Introduce Yourself titled "New to MyFitnessPal and looking for tips!" I found it helpful.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Try "My 383lb weight Loss Story" on face book. Really great support group started by Brian Flemming who has now lost over 383 lbs. There are a few people on both MFP and his page.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    My tips to you...

Eat less, move more, lift heavier.

It's worked for me, to the tune of 56lbs. I still have about 30lbs to go, but if it ain't broke, I don't aim to fix it.
  • Jacquiht
    Jacquiht Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trying the alternative day diet - or the 5:2. I find it really good knowing that although one day your calories are limited the following day you can eat what you like (within reason of course). I am having great success with this and it is now part of my life. I don't get hung up on it because I know that I can always put things right the following day and I also find food is not continually on my mind as I find with normal calorie counting. You are in control of what you eat!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

this right here. /thread.
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    Losing weight is difficult no matter how much you need to lose. Some suggestions I have are:

Set small goals. Instead of saying I need to lose 100 pounds, break it down into 20 pound increments. It makes you feel accomplished to reach those milestones.

If you have a bad day, pick yourself up, brush yourself off and go at it again. One bad day should not make you give up or give in. You're human. It happens.

Look at labels. So many people eat a whole can of whatever thinking it's one serving. It's not. Check serving sizes. It matters.

When you log things, try to find a entry with most confirmations. This lets you know it's more accurate than some of the others.

Be real with yourself. I can lie to others or put on an act. But if I'm to succeed, I have to be real with myself. If I ate something, own it.

I don't enjoy exercise. But if you walk 10 minutes, that's better than none. Maybe you can build from that.

After you get the hang of everything, invest in a food scale and measure your servings.

But most of all, instead of thinking you can't. Know that you CAN!

Attitude is everything! Good luck.
  • Girl_du_jour
    Girl_du_jour Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First - you're doing the right thing. Losing weight isn't easy but being on here is a big big help so congratulations on a good first step!

There are plenty of people on here more knowledgable, motivated and successful at weight loss than I am, but here's a few things I think help.

1. KNOW YOURSELF - no matter what anyone else tells you worked for them, you need to find what works for you. This means thinking honestly and realistically about what you can and can't manage, and re-evaluating honestly and realistically as you go. Some people can fast, some people can do portion control, some people can give up treats, some people are super-active... what works for them may or may not work for you, but only you will know if it's worth trying. Don't lie to yourself about what you're capable of - but don't be afraid to try things you think you can't do either. You might surprise yourself. I never would've thought I could go through a day not eating til dinner - but it turns out I can and it (the fancy name is 'intermittent fasting' apparently!) is helping me get there.

2. WHEN YOU FIND A THING THAT WORKS, STICK TO IT - in the past I have tried to do too many things at once and it all goes wrong. For example - eating more protein, eating less sugar, eating vegan, allowing some treats, portion control, eating as much as you want but only of good stuff... it's too confusing and too hard to stick to and sees me slide back into bad habits. Instead, just pick one plan and stick to it. What the plan is, is up to you - the important thing is to stick to it! It's a bit like alcoholics anonymous: you just don't have a drink today, and don't have a drink tomorrow, and don't have a drink one day at a time on an ongoing basis. It's boring - but it works.

3. KEEP YOUR MIND RIGHT PART ONE - some days it will be easy. Some days you will want to stuff your face with so many marshmallows or cheeseburgers or whatever that you can't breathe. Some days you will lapse. The important things to remember are that you CAN do it, even if you slip up sometimes, and that it's a long game. A long long game. And when you feel down about that, as I do sometimes, just remind yourself the weight didn't go on overnight - it will take years to do it properly, but that's OK. You're taking care of business.

4. KEEP YOUR MIND RIGHT PART TWO - you have to have goals. What they are is up to you, but you should try to have a few and make them progressive so you can see yourself get nearer. MFP measures in numbers, but have other goals too. Some examples I've heard are things like being able to do ten press ups or ten chin ups or run a mile or whatever; being able to fit into (whatever garment) from when you were thinner; being able to walk upstairs without getting out of breath; being able to see your collarbones a little - whatever. Make them attainable, some small and some big, and when you achieve something reward yourself (with something that isn't food! I know this can be an issue because treats were often rewards to me - find something else.).

5. KEEP YOUR MIND RIGHT PART THREE - this is personal so it might just be me, but I find having an external perspective can help sometimes. I did a charity thing this year called Live Below the Line, where you raise money by living on £1/$2 a day for five days in sympathy with the world's poor, and it really changed my perspective on how I was eating and how gross it is that I could buy junk food I didn't need and eat it for recreation when people were really starving in the world. I don't always remember it when I'm craving junk, but when I do it stops me dead. Like I say, not for everyone - but having a moral or ethical reason that goes beyond wanting to look nice or feel healthy for yourself might help.

6. PLAN AHEAD - it's so much harder than it sounds sometimes when you don't feel like it, but get into the habit of preparing in advance. It makes things so much easier, especially in your weaker moments. Don't buy treats when you shop - make yourself wait til you really need one and see if you need it enough to go get it that moment. Plan meals ahead - or even better, log them in MFP in advance so you're less likely to stray. Buy tupperware or a lunch box or whatever and bring good food with you - crunchy veg to chomp, or soup to fill you up, or lean proteins in handy portions. If you're going out for dinner with friends, plan in advance a few things you can do to make it different (even a small change like not having a side order or not eating the bread or having a starter and dessert instead of a main and dessert - whatever you think will help). If you're going out for drinks, have one or two sweet or alcoholic drinks interspersed with glasses of water. I never used to think I could do these things - but I can. And you can too. And if you keep doing it, it works.

7. EXERCISE - Honestly, weight loss is much more reliant on diet than exercise, but exercise is SO important, and not just for weight loss. Everything about it will make you feel better, and I say that as someone who is definitely not the sporty type. Even if you're very overweight and find it hard, just go for walks. Find a park and walk. Park further away and walk. Forego the elevator and walk. Borrow a dog from a friend and walk. Buy a Leslie Sansone DVD and walk in your house. Just walk. Once you've made it a habit, you can find other movement to enjoy. Swimming, gym, fitness classes, dancing around, kettlebells, team sports, running - whatever works for you. Try what you can, and watch you surprise yourself.

The very best of luck to you, and I hope any of this is helpful!
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    If you are in need of losing 100+ pounds, I would consult with your doctor prior to starting any kind of workout/diet.

I will add that all the advice given is solid in regards to how to start your diet/exercise plan
  • mumabearshaz
    Options
    Hi, I think choosing my fittness pal was just one really great choice you could have made toward a fitter healthier happier you. I have had this app on my phone for a couple of months now it was recommended to me by my in the home hospital care nurses when I was getting treatment & I'm so very glad I did get sick to have met these bunch of awesome women who from there care & thoughtfulness most likely saved my life. I have only lost 8 kgs put it all back on & now lost it all again. Recently I started to swim with the company of my sister or daughter or both at times. Laps 25m up then back slowly, then walk up & down the local indoor pool always starting with 20minutes of light physio exersises to warm up. Currently I'm still trying new lifestyle changes that is as far as food is concerned my sister is on herbalife lost heaps of weight my daughter is on optifast & heaps of exersise. Me I'm finding eating breakfast,lunch & dinner with 3 snacks of 150 cals each or less is great. I do have optislim shakes if I say don't feel like having breakfast or any other meal. I permanently have a lunch bag I take everywhere now in that I have a peeler,small knife,forklift & spoon. 2 snack plastic bags for rubbish lol a shake container bcs brand from woolies with an optics lim shake kept inside.A small 1sandwhich sized lunch box with clip lid for pita pockets mini or bread I take 2 slices & 2x 8gm butter in if I'm going out & am having a soup or a sandwhich. Then I have a 2 sand which sized clip container with 2 cuppa soups for choice,a snack size pkt of prunes,a snack pkt of rice cakes a opticslim shake & 2 Bodytrim,Atkins
  • Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree w all the great advice already posted . Don't be to hard on yourself, take it one day at a time and it will get better just by being around positive people . You are already moving in the right direction!!
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Because this weight loss thing is waaay more complicated than it seems.

Please feel free to post me any tips, tricks, and information that you think a newbie can use, because believe me I can use as much help as you can offer.:smile:

Wrong...
    It's actually very simple but you can make it more complicated than it needs to be.
    The simple part is Calories IN vs Calories Out. Done...
    That's it, eat proper foods in proper amounts and exercise/walk/jog/swim or whatever you like on a regular basis.
    It's no more complicated than that, If I can do it successfully ANYBODY can.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi its nice to meet you :) I can't say much more here than what has already been said. Read what they said and you will be on the right track. one important thing I tell everyone is never give up. No matter how bad of a day you have etc always log back into MFP and track your food. As long as you keep coming back and keep trying no matter how many times you fall you will succeed :) Best of luck and feel free to add me if you would like motivation and support :)
  • aeonART
    aeonART Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello Yseut,
    From personal experience, you've technically completed the first and most difficult step, Getting Serious and Organized about Following a Plan. Welcome to myfitnesspal!

I totally 'get' your frustration. I myself, a lifelong petite and very active person, woke up one day (I swear it happened this way) to find myself 50# out of my healthy weight zone! What happened??? I thought. How did I get HERE??? I've got clothes that literally cringe at the back wall of my closet wall to avoid being worn. Cotton does NOT stretch like that. Yoga pants should NOT be the basis to every outfit...when did I become my Nan?

While plenty of contributing factors (clearly) were at work, I feel very optimistic from the forum and feedback on this site that like you, I'm on the right track. Rule #2: Stick with it no matter what. Start with Committing for 30 days to completing your Diet Diary and actually DOING even 10 minutes of stretching and YOU WILL SEE THE RESULTS!

My personal advice: Don't get discouraged, start by hiding your full-length mirrors and scale and limit yourself to a Once-A-Week "Review." This is an Ego-Building Exercise, I promise. It's like my Nan used to say, "A watched pot never boils."

Let's face it, the extra weight we're carrying didn't fall on us so expecting it to fall off isn't exactly realistic. By restricting your Physique Inventory time, you'll start to see the changes and believe me, tracking oz. dropped per day doesn't have the same wallop as Net Pounds per week. It works, at least for me. I've already lost 11.4 Lbs (since May) and now that I've seen some results, I'm laser-focused. Whatever you do, DO NOT Starve yourself in an effort to shed the pounds faster. This isn't Survivor and it doesn't work that way. The human body is incredibly effective at implementing a survival mode of calorie storage and burning, and eating small, whole food, healthy meals every 2-3 hours (starting within 30 minutes of waking) is the healthiest way to feed the furnace of your frame.

Skipping meals is counter-productive to healthy weight loss, and nobody likes you when you're crabby, doesn't matter who you are. Going and being hungry is not cool or effective so don;t make food the enemy. It's our volume of it that is.

Focus on protein based foods, and if you're choosing between carbs and fats, fats win every time. As much as I have been a diary and pasta junky my whole life, the calendar reminds me those days of carb- and lactose-rich diets are long gone. As our age creeps up, so does our weight, and I for one don't want to see myself in another photo looking older than I am because of extra pounds that don't belong. Spandex should not have to work that hard.

Perhaps one of the most valuable tools, is in actually recording what you eat and seeing how it all adds up. As I approach 49 (when did THAT happen?) I've come to appreciate whole fresh foods, limiting my carbs, maximizing my proteins and taking an extra minute before I put anything in my gob to think about the value it brings me in reaching my goal.

You can DO it Girl! As the Brits say, "Stay Calm (avoid unhealthy foods and especially stress eating), Carry On (working out in any capacity at least 10 minutes a day). Visualize the you you WANT to be, and work towards bringing that fit Diva to Life!

Stella
  • GisellaWinchester
    GisellaWinchester Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I actually cried when I saw the scale hit that awful number. I know it was bad but it is a hard thing to face. I lose weight and gain it all the time, probably cause i stress eat. I am sure this site will help and feel free to add me. I don't know much yet but I can be supportive. :)