Does Protein Bars ruin diet for weight loss?

Options
I still haven't really recovered much from bingeing more than usual. I've been stuffing myself with sandwiches for the past several weeks, and today I ate 2 sandwiches and a protein bar. I'm just wondering, would a protein bar ruin your diet when not adding any physical activity into it?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    No. Calorie surplus ruins diet. Not individual foods
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    No, I usually eat one every day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No. Eating at a surplus equals gaining weight. Eating at a deficit equals losing weight.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    No. Calorie surplus ruins diet. Not individual foods

^^ This. If eating that protein bar is what puts you at a calorie surplus, then you'll gain weight. If you eat it and are still at a deficit, you'll lose weight.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Like everyone said, the surplus in calories(And also empty calories) is what will cause weight gain. Protein bars would if they put you over you calorie level. Otherwise they are just giving you protein, which more protein helps prevent the breakdown of lean body mass, which means your body wont break down your muscle while on a deficit and instead mostly breakdown body fat.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I've just started on adding PowerBars to my daily meal, and it's not ruining a thing.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    "Binging" on multiple sandwiches doesn't bother you, but 1 protein bar does?
  • Kayhealthfoodie
    Options
    Possibly. Not because of the protein, but most protein bars have significant amounts of sugar and carbs, so I definitely would not consume them on a regular basis. I think maybe Quest bars are okay as far as sugar goes, but I haven't tried them.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    They are perfectly fine if they fit in your calorie and overall macro goals for the day. I eat Cliff Bars all the time if I am not able to have dinner before I work out.