Strategies for overcoming stress eating?

Options
Kiora,

My name is Kim. I have lost a lot of weight before but I have found that I have started putting it back on in the past year.
Initially it was only two kilograms (four pounds), and then it was four kilograms (eight pounds) and I wasn't very worried. Unfortunately however, I stood on a scale recently and now I have gained a total of seven kilograms! (14 pounds).

I feel very devastated that I let this happen. Previously I have lost about 14 kilograms (28 pounds), but it happened 'naturally' and very slowly without doing anything at all. I kept it off for about three years. The difference now I suppose is that I have a lot more stress in my life, which is making me binge. If I know I will be up late in the night reading for my class at 8 am I will be snacking a lot, and its usually chocolate which is always in the pantry at home (I get given a lot of it for free).

I hope to lose the seven kilograms by learning to overcome this stress eating phase I have let myself get into. Are there any strategies you can give me? especially when it comes to staying away from chocolate, procrasto-eating, stress-eating.

I am lucky however that I love healthy food, my breakfast, lunch and dinners are pretty good. Its just the unnecessary snacking when I am not really hungry that is getting me down...

Thanks, Kim.

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    -don't keep snack foods/chocolate in the house
    -replace snacking on food with drinking water or tea
    -substitute exercise to reduce stress
    -eat at set time
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    -don't keep snack foods/chocolate in the house
    -replace snacking on food with drinking water or tea
    -substitute exercise to reduce stress
    -eat at set time

This really is great advice. Exercise is about as good of a stress reliever as you can get, and the 'feel good' aspect of it is infinitely better than the miserable guilt one feels after binge eating something like chocolate.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I recommend keeping a journal where you sit and write down what you're feeling before you start eating. Look at where you are on a hunger scale of 1-5, with 1 being starving and 5 being stuffed. I find that the act of actually assessing my hunger levels and writing "I'm stressed and want to eat chocolate" really helps me to stop. Also, I promise myself that if I still feel like that in 15 minutes, I'll reassess then.

I have sweets in my house, but I don't keep the ones that I want to binge on. For instance, milk or white chocolate makes me want to eat the entire bar, but if I have a bar of quality dark chocolate, I'll eat 2 squares and put it away. I know I have one bar to last the entire week, so if I eat it all on Monday, I'm SOL the rest of the week. I can't keep oreos in the house because I don't yet have the willpower to eat one serving. However, my end goal is to be able to have any food in the house and enjoy it in moderation (but it's not smart right now as I'm working hard to have a healthier mindset when it comes to food).

I keep ice cream (not my absolute favorite, but still a kind I like) in the freezer in the garage. I have to make extra effort to get to it, instead of it being in the freezer in the kitchen. I don't spent my evenings in the living room attached to the kitchen, but rather, I sit on the patio or go upstairs away from the kitchen. The point is that I try not to put myself into a situation where I will eat from stress and not think.

Also, make sure you are getting enough calories early in the day. When I was struggling the most with binging, I would eat less in the AM because I "knew" I would need those calories later when I "got into trouble." I've been seeing a dietician, and she stresses the importance of eating plenty early in the AM and at lunch so I don't feel that afternoon/evening need to binge. She encourages me to have fruit or veggies with every meal and I think that's helped too. It's easy to scarf down a bowl of cereal, but it takes a few minutes to peel and eat 2 clementines. I also write down how long it takes me to eat and at what pace. If I'm eating quickly, I have to stand up and walk away because that's not giving me time to recognize fullness level and it's the start of a binge.

I would recommend seeing a dietician because that's been the biggest help to me to overcome stress eating. I would also recommend seeing a counselor to help with the mental aspect of this struggle. You need a team approach to help you learn how to have a healthier relationship with food.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eat chocolate only when you achieve something. Since it will be more of a reward than a companion to your study, you will eat less.

Also, be carefull of "mindless eating". Be aware of every mouthful you take.
  • kimburgess98
    Options
    Thank you FitMama, djprice, lisalsd, and melduf!

Here is my action plan based on the advice you have given me!

1) Create a journal to record my feelings before I start eating and to record the scale of my hunger out of five.
    2) Stop accepting the free chocolate, drink tea and water instead.
    3) If I am feeling stressed about an assignment, I should go for a walk, clean my car, or do something else that is productive instead.
    4) Choose foods that take longer to eat so I have more time to assess my hunger levels before I reach for something else to eat.

Plan B:

1) See a dietitian/counselor.

I think it is also important for me to note here the other foods I typically eat.

For breakfast I often have either oatmeal with fruit, scrambled eggs on toast, or peanut butter and banana on one piece of toast.
    Throughout the day I have water, tea, coffee without sugar.
    Lunch is often a large smoothie or a sandwich with meat in it.
    Dinner is large stir fry with tofu/egg, brown rice and oyster sauce or a burger.
    I also have a couple of pieces of fruit (apples are my favorite), and a portion of nuts for morning/afternoon tea.

I get the occasional takeout, but they are so expensive I only hardly ever do it.

Thanks again, Kim.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good plan laid out there. Based on what you normally eat, I would really try to add some more protein early in the day and to try to have protein with snacks too. A smoothie is a great idea, but it might not be enough for lunch (I have to actually chew something for meals, so that would be hard for me), so perhaps you could move it to a snack and add some greek yogurt or cottage cheese to it (if you don't already)? The sandwich is great for lunch (I love avocado on mine as well), so maybe you can add some fruit on the side too so it's well rounded?

It sounds like you have some good healthy eating habits, but just need to set yourself up for success the rest of the day so you don't fall to stress eating at night. Feel free to friend me if you'd like some support :) You are going to do great!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Interesting in following this thread for responses too, as food has tended to be a coping mechanism in the past when it came to stressful times.

Re: chocolate, I always found I could never have just one piece of milk chocolate, as the added sugar in it always made me crave more. Switching to dark chocolate has helped a lot, although you may need to transition gradually, ie milk chocolate -> moderate cocoa chocolate (40/ 50%) -> High cocoa dark chocolate (60/ 70%) -> very high cocoa dark chocolate (80%+), if you decide to go this route.

Obviously you can stop at any point you want, but I found this a highly effective way at containing the amount of chocolate in my diet, and to be honest these days eat almost one small little bar (25g bar) over the course of the day, as I find dark chocolate a great appetite suppressant if I eat a piece (1/3 of a bar) and wait a couple of minutes. I do this 2/ 3 times a day, and find it very effective.

Alternately you could of course just find similar moderate calorie foods that do the same for you, and replace the chocolate with those.
  • emsken
    emsken Posts: 1
    Options
    Try breathing in for 7 counts and out for 11... And going nowhere near food when stressed. I am axa toy the same...nightmare!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1) Create a journal to record my feelings before I start eating and to record the scale of my hunger out of five.
    2) Stop accepting the free chocolate, drink tea and water instead.
    3) If I am feeling stressed about an assignment, I should go for a walk, clean my car, or do something else that is productive instead.
    4) Choose foods that take longer to eat so I have more time to assess my hunger levels before I reach for something else to eat.

I think this is a great plan.

The advice I'd give is quite similar to that you already received. I had a stress eating problem most indulged in while at work (so no way to remove the food--it's in our work kitchen and candy bowl). Journaling was extremely helpful for me, as well as just deciding that I would eat only at meal times. Even if I decide to include a treat, I typically do so at the end of a meal (so basically as part of a meal time) or in a pre-planned way (like the host of my book group loves to bake, so I schedule in a treat then). If I'm wanting to eat because I'm stressed, I know it's not a meal time and there's no actual reason for me to be hungry, so I tell myself to wait.

At first this was tough, so I brought things I was willing to snack on (carrots and celery, that kind of thing) when I felt the urge. Just being able to munch was enough, and pretty quickly I got over that need.

Now, occasionally, I'll want to eat when I know I'm just stressed/upset, but from experience I know that working out will almost always deal with that, so I either go do it or if I can't focus on getting whatever I'm working on finished. Invariably the feeling goes away, and even if it doesn't waiting a few hours until a planned meal is no huge hardship.
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I stress eat too (it's my biggest problem), and these are the things that I find help me the most:

1. Don't keep "bad" stuff in the house. Others have mentioned this too, and it really is the biggest thing you can do. If it's not easy to quickly grab, you probably wont leave the house to get it.
    2. Replace the comfort foods with a healthier version. For example, I love chocolate and I know if I were to completely give it up, I would eventually crack and then binge. So instead, I make sure I have something chocolatey when I need it! I make an awesome protein shake using cottage cheese, milk and cocoa powder. It tastes pretty good, satisfies my chocolate craving, and the protein keeps me filled up making it a terrific snack.
    3. Keep healthy snacks within reach. Little bags of nuts or seeds, air popped popcorn, veggies already washed and cut, etc. If it requires no preparation, you will be more likely to reach for them.

These help me a lot, so I hope they help you too!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Also, find something to do with your hands. Snacking became a habit for me when I was on the computer or watching tv, and most of the time I wasn't aware of how much I was eating until I started MFP last year. Now, when I feel like snacking, I do something else with my hands (usually art of some kind), and that diverts me if it's just habit or stress snacking.
  • Kate_Bot
    Kate_Bot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There has already been a lot of good advice in this thread. Your question also really resonated with me as someone who has lost weight, then regained in a really stressful time in my life.

What has been helping me is to care for myself ahead of stress, too, so I'm not stacking the deck against myself. I make sure I get enough sleep and have self-care activities I do regularly that I enjoy that are not eating (I play board games with friends and play with the cats, choose whatever you like to do).

And I received some great advice on the weight gain, too; make sure you don't catastrophize it. It's 28 pounds, not the end of the world. You have lost it before, and can lose it again. Don't fuel the mental tailspin.
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Did everyone already say record everything in myfitnesspal? Amazing how tiny snacks add up if you don't see the math. Sorry if already said ad nauseum.
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I feel like getting out and walking/doing something active when i'm stressed out helps a ton.. even if its just around the block.

being outside for me personally works wonders. weather it's running/walking/hiking is a huuuge stress reliever.

if your childless go alone.. if you have kids.. take them in a stroller.
  • lmk1190
    lmk1190 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find that tea is great for stress relief. To keep things interesting, I keep a variety of teas at my desk - fruity, savory, etc and add stevia when I crave something sweeter. I am definitely guilty of stress eating though. Tea is one way to cope though:)
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How's this..figure out a few foods that you love that have miniscule (sp?) calories.. use them when stressed.. for me it is chili pickles.. I buy them at the farmer's market.. hardly any calories and satisfies funny cravings.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Find other ways of dealing with stress. Exercise, playing music, meditating, reading, talking to friends . . .
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I distract myself.

Paint my nails. Do my make up or hair. Walk my dog or play fetch with her. Go on tumblr and get inspiration. Call a friend. Read a book or magazine. Have a glass of water. Cook a healthy meal. Do some cleaning. Organize something you've been putting off. Meditate to clear your mind. Take a shower or bath. Wash your car. Exercise!!!

Possibilities are endless!
  • kimburgess98
    Options
    Tena koutou everyone,

I'd just like to say thank you for your help with my query two days ago.

I haven't eaten any junk food in 2 1/1 days. Although it is still early yet, I have found that standing out on my deck for a minute or two in the sun and going to bed early have really helped! I am also more active by playing games (Just Dance on wii).

I wish you all the best of luck and good vibes with your endeavors to a healthier life.

Cheers, Kim.
  • cherrilovee
    cherrilovee Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Instead of stress eating, STRESS DRINK. No not alcohol, just water. Once you drink a certain amount of water 2-4 cups, trust me you'll have no room for food for at least that hour lol. Just try it