guesstimating calories

Options
I'm wondering how others deal with an ongoing issue I have, other people cooking. For example, for lunch I went to a local place and had a great turkey burger and cole slaw but since they make everything from scratch I have to try and guess to what is in it and log something similar. I also have this problem at home, my roommates love to cook but I have to hound and demand for hours to get a hint of a recipe name to look up.

The major components I can guess at like rice and onion but what about hidden ingredients such as red wine and butter? I'm basically assuming my daily counts are off by 10% and go from there.

Replies

• marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do the best I can to estimate but try not to make a habit of it. I'm a calorie freak now and like to log everything obsessively so the only time I guess is on cheat days. Even then.. I like to eat at places that have the estimated nutrition information available. It's all about finding balance and moderation.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    i guesstimate quite a lot because i love to eat out. My palate is pretty good though, because I am also an avid cook.

You should be able to taste the inclusion of wine. But most times it won't add significant calories because if it is heated during, say, braising or flambe most of the alcohol will cook off. There will be residual sugar. I am in the habit of logging some extra butter or oil if a dish tastes suspiciously rich or greasy. The same for sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of butter (or something similar) to most restaurant meals when I don't know the calories. And estimate generously otherwise. If you go there often, you might want to ask questions, though.
  • maryjovh
    Options
    I am struggling with the same thing. It cam be very hard if you eat out or attend a party.