Thinking of getting rid of Mirena

Options
Hey guys, noticed a couple of forums on Mirena, but it doesn't look like anyone has had one of my side effects. I got Mirena in Feb 2010 not for BC but for awful, painful TOM. However, the cramps were 10x worse for me. Then in November I started getting the pregnancy mask or Melasma, dark spots on my neck and face. I got this 8 years ago when I was pregnant with my son , so I knew it was hormones. It just donned on me this morning that I plateaued about the same time. I've lost a gained the same two pounds since November. I've changed up my workout, ate below my 1200 cal, ate around 1400 cals and nothing has changed. I'm wondering if Mirena could be causing my plateau since is changing my hormones enough to cause Melasma. I know for a fact I'm not preggers since I closed the factory day the day my son was born. Anyone experience this or any ideas?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The level of hormones in the Mirena is supposed to be very low, much lower than a regular bc pill. It shouldn't be high enough to effect your overall hormone levels. But, I would talk with your doctor.

I had to go off my bc pill because it wasn't regulating my hormones. I was having breakthrough bleeding and it was to the point that I was having two full periods a month. I tried changing pills and it didn't help.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Yes, that happened last month, 2 TOMs. Really?:angry:
  • jeannewafa
    Options
    Hormone levels are low. I've had some side effects and I found weight loss is a bit more difficult but I'm attributing that to having a baby a few months back and getting older. People react differently to these things though so I say if it's not working for you, get that thing out :P
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Definitely see your doctor. All kinds of things can cause hormonal imbalances, and it might have nothing to do with the IUD, or the IUD might be exacerbating the situation. I had an ovarian cyst that apparently was generating lots of estrogen, which led to fibroid tumors, which led to other nasty side effects, including weight gain - basically everything was out of whack. I had to take progesterone to start balancing things out, and then everything cleared up after awhile.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said. I had one for five years and didn't end up getting it replaced. I didn't educate myself well and found out how it actually prevents pregnancy, it prevents fertilized eggs from attaching to the uterine wall. I am a Christian and pro-life. My OBGYN told me that I am a fortunate woman that can get pregnant easily. My two children were conceived very quickly. I just couldn't get another one again.
    There are tons of birth control options out there, so do your homework and go to your doctor with any questions or concerns you might have. You might find something that works better for you.
  • fancyladymeek
    Options
    What about the copper IUD? Not only is it hormone free, but it last 10 years instead of 5 years!

I do have sometimes VERY heavy TOM's on it...sometimes to the point of being almost housebound for 2 days because of my flow. But my period is generally 3-5 days and unless my heavy days fall on the weekend and prevent me from going hiking I don't mind.

But, I've had it for almost 5 years, pregnancy free, and no hormones to mess me up. Prior to the copper IUD I did use hormonal BC and it was just awful.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks for your responses. I did research it, read the pamphlets and online reviews, but I guess you never know exactly how it will affect you. I'll just check with the doctor.