Anyone aiming for 50 g of fat or less daily?

Options
Calling open diaries for anyone aiming for 50 g of fat!

I'm following IIFYM but struggling with fat content; trying to stay around 50 grams but find it really hard to not meet my protein goal (143g) without going over. For example: the grilled fish or steak for dinner will have say 27 g protein but 14 g fat, that will put me in the red.

I've switched to non fat cheese, and my yogurt is fat free (can't do non fat cottage cheese, that was just blehh! :noway: ) ...so just wondering what others are doing to stay within a 50 g of fat per day?

Anyone with open diaries, please let me know so I can take a peak!

Thanks!
Anna

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with going over your fat. I'm pretty sure the fat macro for IIFYM is a minimum.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That seems a very high fat content for the fish & meat. Leaner cuts of meat and types of fish will give you much better macros if you want to keep your fats down. For example, 100g of grilled chicken will give you 31g of protein for 4g fat. Tuna (in water, drained) will give you 26g protein for 1g fat.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I eat low-fat cheese and 2% yogurt, half and half in my coffee (1 tbsp per 8oz cup), whole eggs, hit my protein goal (126) pretty much everyday, and average about 46-50grams of fat daily.

Today alone I've had or will have two whole eggs, 1oz reduced-fat cheese, 2tsp of olive oil, 10g of parm cheese, 3oz of cooked hamburger, oh and a serving of ice cream!(full fat) and 2tbsp half and half. 54 grams fat. Hit my protein and fiber and calories, so it's all good :)

My diary is open.:wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with going over your fat. I'm pretty sure the fat macro for IIFYM is a minimum.

This. Fat really helps me stay full.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That seems a very high fat content for the fish & meat. Leaner cuts of meat and types of fish will give you much better macros if you want to keep your fats down. For example, 100g of grilled chicken will give you 31g of protein for 4g fat. Tuna (in water, drained) will give you 26g protein for 1g fat.

^This.

I have more of a problem meeting my fat goal.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I think my diary is public - i don't care what people think and it might help.
    I often hit less than 50 g per day. Today I had a bagel with butter, 2 large eggs, 4 oz steak in wine, and the fat was a tad over at 58 instead of the target 48 g. But i really do not care as long a the total calories meets the daily target.

You need fat to function properly. Here is an extreme example:

My BIL was put on an very, very low fat diet to reduce his cholesterol for his heart. It dropped dramatically, then went too low and he had problems with thinking clearly. As soon as he increased the fat a little bit, the issues cleared up.

- Lots of vegetables my friend!
    - Forget sauces and salad dressings - enjoy the food naked
    - .Butter is not evil. Often a small amount adds big flavor that oil cannot match.
    - go with more spices and less sauces.
  • kyach
    kyach Posts: 17
    Options
    I find it hard to hit as much protein as I would like sometimes. I do like the Johnsonville turkey sausage with cheddar cheese. 1 link is 10 grams of protein and 6 grams of fat. I use protein power put into smoothies on occasion--The kind I use is 12 grams of protein and 3 grams of fat. Dannon All Natural low fat yogurt has 10 grams of protein and 3 grams of fat. and my FAVORITE source of protein is the meal replacement shake I often drink for breakfast... tastes great mixed with just water-- and it has 24 grams of protein with only 3 grams of fat. Love it in chocolate... but going to try the berry and vanilla too.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • kazzsj0urney
    Options
    I aim to hit at least 85 grams of fat a day and like someone else mentioned I struggle to get it up there....its usually a good thing to get your fat up, but if specifically trying to keep it low I would use low fat dairy products and avoid things like avocados, olive oil, nut butters etc.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options

^This.

I have more of a problem meeting my fat goal.

+1

Fat free cheese and dairy is the WORST - yuck. You may as well enjoy your food and have more satiety. Avoiding avocados olive oil and nut butters is sad too. Why do that to yourself? Fat is good for you keeps you full and is yummy.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Calling open diaries for anyone aiming for 50 g of fat!

I'm following IIFYM but struggling with fat content; trying to stay around 50 grams but find it really hard to not meet my protein goal (143g) without going over. For example: the grilled fish or steak for dinner will have say 27 g protein but 14 g fat, that will put me in the red.

I've switched to non fat cheese, and my yogurt is fat free (can't do non fat cottage cheese, that was just blehh! :noway: ) ...so just wondering what others are doing to stay within a 50 g of fat per day?

Anyone with open diaries, please let me know so I can take a peak!

Thanks!
    Anna

Don't get too caught up in trying to limit fats. They are a macro like the others, if you happened to have eaten over the suggested value, then you can simply eat less carbs and protein for that day. Fats don't by themselves lead to weight gain. Try to increase your intake of mono and polyunsaturated fats to maintain good health.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Don't limit fat too much. Your body has to have fat to function and be healthy. If you go too low, it can affect your hormones, as well as your brain function (memory, concentration, etc). Unfortunately, I know from experience. So I wouldn't be too upset if you go over on some days.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends. My macros are set for 48g fat and I go over that a few times a week. Sometimes by 1 or 2 grams and other times it's in the double digits. I don't get too upset about it though. As long as *most* of your fat is coming from health sources (lean meat, eggs, nuts, etc), I say don't fear the fat :)
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM, too and I think I'm around the same. It's one macro I worry about the least, for right now unless I decide (like way, way down the road) I want to compete.

Boneless skinless chicken? The one reason I got the Foster Farms brand (from Costco, the big 10lb. bag for $21.99) is because it said it was 99% fat free. It's one thing in the past I ate a lot of because of the fat content. I'm really flexible on things I eat now, but I really want to start tightening up on what I eat.

Feel free to look!
  • Jessica_Eve
    Jessica_Eve Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    For a while I was on 35g of fat daily and hit it regularly, only going over by 5g if I did at all. I'm now around 50 depending on my carb intake for the day. My diary is open. I don't always use fat free everything, but I will to save room for my love affair with nut butters.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hi Anna :) as others have mentioned, as far as I know it's okay to go over your fat and protein macros so I wouldn't worry too much about it!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My macros are split 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. I would say that it's my hardest macro to stay below, but as long as I'm trying to get my protein up there, that seems to keep me full.

I would look into other protein sources, such as lower fat fish (salmon filets have 29g of protein and 5g fat) , or Chicken breasts (26g of protein and 1.5g fat)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Remember it's YOUR macros - and this sounds absolutely awful...
    I've switched to non fat cheese.
    :noway:

Personally I prefer protein and fat as minimum goals rather than set numbers for variety (and taste!).
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to eat non fat cheese lol... Any that I've ever had has been absolutely horrid. I'd just cut back on the full fat stuff and make it work into my macros. No offense, just my two cents lol.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I think your target fat macro is too low. If your protein is 143 grams per day, your fat intake should be around 70 grams. I'm assuming 0.8 grams for protein and 0.4 grams for fat per pound of body weight.

I also wouldn't worry about going over fat. It's not the 80s.