Vegan recipe ideas?

Options
Yeah I'm looking for some low cal vegan recipes because i'm an ethical vegan and I was wondering what was possible?

Replies

• cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Visit these two websites for amazing recipes :)

www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com

http://ohsheglows.com/
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Indian lentil curry is a household favorite here. It's ridiculously easy to make, fast and sooo tasty. It will even keep in the freezer for a week or two, past that I find it gets a bit dry: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-lentil-curry/

Yesterday I found that recipe and i'm planning on trying it later this week or next week. Maybe you can give it a try as well, it's a sweet potato and quinoa patty. She serves it with a berry salsa but I'll probably have it with plain yogurt, I guess that won't work for you but if you are like me and don't like sweet salsa, I think guacamole would be a good fit: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Sweet-potato-quinoa-cakes-333384?columns=4&position=2/2

You can make muffin really easily by switching the milk for almond/soy/coconut milk. Replace the egg by applesauce.

Finally, I found this chickpea sandwich a few months back and I absolutely LOVE it. This blogger offer very good vegan recipe, you should check it out in general as well. :http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.ca/2013/09/mashed-chickpea-salad-sandwich.html
  • hannahrainford
    Options
    I love the idea of a chickpea sandwich - I try to avoid bread but that sounds delicious. Maybe it will work with rye bread?

A chickpea curry is a great vegan dish if you like spicy good, or you could just use a little less chilli?
    http://www.harighotra.co.uk/indian-recipes/mains/sholay-chickpea-curry
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Side Note - I understand that some people choose to be vegetarians, or vegans, but I had to look up "ethical vegan." Assuming I am not alone in understanding why the word 'ethical' was paired with 'vegan' - here is a definition that I found on Wikipedia.

Ethical Vegan: The main difference between a vegan and vegetarian diet is that vegans exclude eggs and dairy products; ethical vegans state that the production of eggs and dairy causes animal suffering and premature death.
  • Asphyxiatee
    Asphyxiatee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato and Spinach

1 sweet potato, boiled or baked.
    2 cup spinach
    1/2 onion
    4 scallions
    1 red pepper
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 cup portobello mushrooms
    1 tbsp sesame seeds
    1 tbsp sunflower seeds
    1 tbsp flax seeds
    1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
    1 oz peanuts
    1/2 oz cashews
    1/2 oz almonds

Coarsely blend nuts, seeds, pepper, onion, salt, garlic and spinach in blender. You can save out or add a little more spinach to the plate as well if you want some whole pieces.

Top cooked sweet potato with mixture from blender, heat 30 seconds or so if desired, and enjoy.
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite vegan recipe must be vietnamese fresh spring rolls!

how-to-roll-spring-rolls-recipes-485-1.jpg

http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/how-roll-fresh-spring-rolls/

I make them somewhat like this recipe, and then make a dip of japanese soy sauce, water, sambal oelek and cilantro (you're supposed to also add fish sauce, but then it's not vegan anymore now is it? It's delicious without the fish sauce anyways:smile: )
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I hate recipes. I'm more of a fly by seat of my pants type.

Here's a vegan one we like- zucchini cut up, sautéed in water with an onion, add a jar of marinara sauce to the zucchini.
    Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles.

Tacos- canned beans, corn tortillas, salsa... Guacamole if your feeling crazy. Serve with boiled corn.

Sandwiches-tomato, lettuce, cucumber and veganaise or hummus as a spread. Served on bread.
  • oystercatcher3944
    Options
    I am old fashioned and loooove cookbooks. Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian are chock-full of delicious vegetarian recipes, many of which are also vegan and many of which can be made vegan. I just made the Hot and Spicy Szechuan Eggplant from World Vegetarian tonight, and it is delicious!!
  • ashaalt
    ashaalt Posts: 6
    Options
    Bring different kinds of lentils (dhals) from Indian stores, if split you can directly cook them, if whole soak them over night and cook next day. You can saute onions, garlic, tomatoes, any cooked vegetable...in a tsp of oil , add the cooked lentil, salt , lemon and there you have a protein and vitamin rich dish that can be had with Rice, couscous, quinoa, bread, roti, naan ..absolutely anything. Adding some spices like cumin, mustard seeds....adding green chllis, herbs like mint, coriander leaves, curry leaves etc gives additional flavors and nutrients to the dish. You can play with it everyday with different vegetables.
  • k_poo
    k_poo Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm an ethical vegan too (: have been for almost a year yay! I don't believe calories matter tbh. I'm almost at 3k today and I'm actually pretty thin haha (although I think I could use some more work). Have you ever tried banana ice cream? It's my favorite (: I'm eating it right now lol! Just freeze bananas and blend them with only a little water so it's thick. Add vanilla, unsweetened cocoa powder, strawberries, or just leave it plain! So yum ????????????
  • NicoleLawrence98
    NicoleLawrence98 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    50 g Cellophane noodles
    Cup cabbage
    2 table spoons of oyster sauce
    3 table spoons of soya sauce
    half cup of small prawns ( if not then add an egg)
    Oil
    Cup vegies

Add oil into wok, or pan
    After you have soaked the cellophane noodles in hot water and are soft add them into the wok/pan
    Add in cabbage, small prawns, or egg, and vegies
    Add in soya sauce and oyster for flavour and colour
    Mix through thoroughly, add some water to make it easier if the oysters to thick to mix in

Eat!

(The amount of ingrediants are not 100percent accurate, its just a rough guess of what I put in mine. I make this all the time and you will know how much youd want to put in :) Enjoy
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Happy Herbivore ...

She has some of her recipies on her website or her books are great.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but a lot of these recipes sound good.
  • Domajazz
    Options
    Hello! I am plant-based neither "vegan or vegetarian" because I do NO OILS, NO DAIRY, NO MEAT OR ANIMAL PRODUCTS. THIS SAID YOU COULD ALL EAT MY FOODS AND I can tell you where you can find many recipes! :)
    first of all you may want to find me on Facebook because I post photos and give the recipes on my page nearly every day. Look for Donna Marie and in the photo you will see me wearing a green "kale" shirt. (At least that's the current one)
    secondly I would encourage you to look up either on Netflix or Amazon for his books or even on youtube: Dr Caldwell Esselstyn and his son Rip Esselstyn.
    Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr Caldwell Esselstyn

Forks Over knives the cookbook

The engine 2 diet by Rip Esselstyn

Forks Over knives on Netflix

any recipes by Ann Esselstyn.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    One of my favourites for winter (obviously swap the butter for vegan margarine and omit the cheese!):

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4382/veggie-shepherds-pie-with-sweet-potato-mash
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    50 g Cellophane noodles
    Cup cabbage
    2 table spoons of oyster sauce
    3 table spoons of soya sauce
    half cup of small prawns ( if not then add an egg)
    Oil
    Cup vegies

Add oil into wok, or pan
    After you have soaked the cellophane noodles in hot water and are soft add them into the wok/pan
    Add in cabbage, small prawns, or egg, and vegies
    Add in soya sauce and oyster for flavour and colour
    Mix through thoroughly, add some water to make it easier if the oysters to thick to mix in

Eat!

(The amount of ingrediants are not 100percent accurate, its just a rough guess of what I put in mine. I make this all the time and you will know how much youd want to put in :) Enjoy
    I think you missed the ethical vegan part = no fish, seafood, meat, eggs or dairy. Oyster sauce, prawn and egg do not = ethical vegan :noway:
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Vegan quinoa chili! - soooooo good and filling, and high in protein! You can put in a variety of beans, veggies, quinoa..whatever you like really, and then just let it sit in the slow cooker for a few hours.

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/quinoa-chili.php

I leave out the bay leaf, it adds a weird taste (unless you're really into bay leaves, then go for it!)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    One word: Veganomicon. Get it.