Bananas

Options
I love bananas and would eat one a day for 4-5 days a week. I notice they are very high in KJ. Should I substitute a different fruit or just continue to enjoy the benefits they bring?

Thanks

Replies

• beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great for you, and low in calories, Enjoy!
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't consider bananas low in calories, but to each his own! I actually only eat them once in awhile because of this.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Love them and fit them into my overall calorie goal. No worries.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I eat one every single day. I have lost a few pounds. :wink:
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bananas offer more than deliciousness. They have potassium (great for muscles, including your heart) and fiber (great for your digestive tract). Because of the fiber, they offer the sweetness you crave but don't cause a blood-sugar spike and they are filling because of the carbs.

As for whether they have a lot of calories or a few, that depends on how many calories you "spend" for each snack and meal. I find them a worthy addition to my cereal bowl as they help keep me full through the morning.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have them everyday.

I've really never heard of anyone gaining weight from eating bananas...ice cream: yes; bananas: no!! :flowerforyou:
  • greenaznpanda
    greenaznpanda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have bananas often. I've heard they can be high in sugar so they might be a problem for the diabetic. I also think there are quite a bit of carbs in them but I factor that into my eating. The high K apparently helps monitor blood pressure because of the Na/K pumps that work on the cellular level...again, stuff I heard a while ago and haven't fact-checked recently.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Banana a day nomnomnom
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I eat one if I feel faint! Perks me right up. Otherwise not my first choice of fruit
  • purplenurse711
    purplenurse711 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Every thing in moderation and if you love bananas just add them into your calorie count for the day. I love them in smoothies, top of oatmeal or as a pre or post workout quick energy food. Enjoy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great. However, they are higher in sugar than some fruits. If that's an issue for you, then there you go.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great, eat em up...
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have one almost every day...either with peanut butter or in a smoothie.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Ditto..... eat them 7 days a week and have lost a couple pounds too....
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've started adding a banana every day to my special K cereal, helps keep me full for longer, adds some sweetness to my breakfast in a healthier way than adding teaspoons of sugar to it. I agree they are also great pre workout, I usually have one before playing 90 minutes of football!

And I'm having me second serving today in this delicious banana muffin :)
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

Me too :drinker:
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of bananas, I consider them low in calories for the size they are.

I stopped eating them though, I always get really hungry after eating them. But, they are yummy :tongue:
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one a day for breakfast or a snack. They are filling and a small banana is only 90 calories.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    IIFYM !
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    They're possibly the fruit with the highest sugar, but unless you need to be careful with your sugar intake, they're a great snack, filling, tasty and healthy.