Exercise doesn't lift my mood

Options
Whenever I'm frustrated and crave unhealthy things, everyone tells me to exercise. I understand why because of the endorphins. But it doesn't lift my mood. In fact it makes me even more angry.

Is there anything else I can do except give in to my chocolate/pizza cravings?

Replies

• lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    a little bit in moderation won't hurt your weight loss - or just find a way to fit it into your day. For most people this does mean exercise to earn some extra calories, but if you really want it can you cut back a little elsewhere to fit it in?
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Angry's ok.

Plan your chocolate / pizza calories, work out until you hit that goal, then eat chocolate / pizza.

(Or is that just me?).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? Find one that does make you happy.
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    I don't know what kind of exercise you are doing, but for me it has to be quite intense before I get a "high" from it.

Running for 30+ minutes or a heavy session with weights does the trick. I read somewhere that endorphins are released in response to moderate/severe stress to the body as a "natural painkiller." I know there is still quite a lot of debate about this with a lot of conflicting research.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    For great craving-killing recipes that are delicious and low-guilt, check out ~

chocolatecoveredkatie.com

dessertswithbenefits.com

foodiefiasco.com

:love:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key. if you cave all the time, you are not creating new habits....exercise may not make you feel better THAT time, but replacing a bad habit with a good one will put you in a better mood eventually!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm frustrated and crave unhealthy things, everyone tells me to exercise. I understand why because of the endorphins. But it doesn't lift my mood. In fact it makes me even more angry.

Maybe you're just one of the Angry Elves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_dL_IMPP4

It's ok. We're all built a bit differently. :drinker:
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Nothing ... if that does not do it. Sorry not going to happen.
  • sendcassie
    sendcassie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't give me any kind of endorphin rush either, we are the unlucky ones. I try to look at my exercise in a positive light however, even if it feels like torture. Calories burned helps me from feeling guilty when I do give into temptation. Try to eat your favorite cravings in moderation or choose a healthy version of them. Cravings won't simply go away. Try to distract yourself as best you can, but if you can't, eat a little of your chocolate or pizza and then put the rest away for another time.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you are getting angrier because the exercise is clarifying your thinking, maybe anger is the healthy sane response to your situation. Long slow steady walks/runs/swims/hikes are good for figuring out what you are going to say to the person or do about the situation so that you don't have to be angry any more?
    Have you tried martial arts?
  • Catsheep
    Catsheep Posts: 16
    Options
    I am often in the same boat as you are. When I exercise I often don't feel any better than when I first started. What I keep reminding myself is that I am investing in myself and my health and that I am worth the effort. Perhaps exercise isn't a proper replacement for you and your cravings. Denying yourself certain foods or things is going to make you want them that much more and can easily lead to binging and guilt and a never ending cycle. Try to find healthy replacements for the cravings instead. There are plenty of great foods and things out there that can satisfy cravings. If anything else, just have a small amount of what you are craving, just not the whole pacakge. It takes will power (which can be super hard) but it is completely possible. You can do it!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    It may depend on what you do or where you do it: For me if I'm having a rotten day and I'm angry or frustrated (whatever), Combat night is great, I feel a lot better after I'm done, but if it's Athletic Conditioning or Pump night, I'm not walking out of the gym feeling better, I'm still as cranky as I was going in, I now just have more calories available to use so I can have one of my go to pleasure foods (Tijuana Flats, here I come!) If I'm walking (jogging, when I can do that, once ye cranky knees are happy again) and I'm on a tread mill, normal day, okay, rotten day, not happy, but again a few more calories to spare (Ben, Jerry is that you lurking in the freezer?) but if I'm outside in the fresh air then I feel better.

So, I'd say feel around your workouts and see if you can change somethings up that might make you feel better during/after your workout on those days and you may be surprised to see a difference and don't forget if it doesn't work for you, plan accordingly and use a little moderation for those go to foods so you can still have them