Protein shake help?

Options
Hey guys I'm kind of new and I have a question. I'm trying to lose weight and get abs. I read in one post that I should lose fat and get lean muscle, but how?

Also I was wondering, would protein shakes help me achieve this? Or will I just be gaining weight. Also, do I have to do a lot of strength training if I drink the protein shakes?

+ SW: 150
GW:120

Replies

• wamakaska
    Options
    To get nice abs you need to get your body fat down to 15% - 20% depending on your body type. Feel free to message/add me if you want more help. The biggest factor is your diet. 80% of looks is diet, 20% is the gym. You'll need to figure out your nutrition needs. The big thing I've learned and that has helped a ton is protein keeps you more full than carbs or fats, so a higher protein diet than normal can help you with portion control. I'm currently on a 2400 cal a day max diet, with a 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat diet. I tend to stay at about the 2000 - 2100 calorie range though so I've been cutting at least 2 lbs a week. I'm also in the gym 4-5 days a week though. I've already noticed muscle gains and fat loss in the 3 weeks I've been hard at it.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Try gnc lean shake 25. I've lost about 9 pounds in 3 weeks. I basically use it to replace what are potentially my worst meals and eat a nutritious lunch and dinner where you get your protein. I am trying to slim down but have lean muscle mass
  • evhnm
    evhnm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) bump
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you use them. I drink one during each workout (it also has potassium and sodium) and it's a planned part of my total calorie intake. I also add protein powder to my yogurt (greek, plain, fat-free).

If it's part of your daily plan, like any other food, you'll be fine. They never worked for me as meal replacements, but work great as snacks and workout nutrients.

I drink Isopure during my workouts and use it at other times. Fitness Labs Egg white protein dissolves really well in my yogurt. I also like BSN syntha-6 chocolate shake. I also have hemp protein to put in my smoothies.