EGGS??

Options
13»

Replies

• MEESHI
    MEESHI Posts: 3
    Options
    Do you enjoy eating egg whites? You are correct, the yolk is rather fattening when compared to the whites themselves. You can balance it out by adding a bit of cheese to the whites and still have less fat than the entire egg.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I agree also. I would much rather eat an egg than eat eggbeaters even if it means eating a few more calories. I have recently been cutting out most prepackaged foods and try to eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, meats and nuts. I'm still stuck on dannon yogurt because I haven't found an organic brand that I like. I buy cagefree, organic eggs.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy eating egg whites? You are correct, the yolk is rather fattening when compared to the whites themselves. You can balance it out by adding a bit of cheese to the whites and still have less fat than the entire egg.

Misconception regarding fat. The fat and cholesterol found in eggs is natural. It is not fattening.

You will do your body more harm than good by taking out the fats and cholesterol away from your body.

A good thing to remember - It takes fat to burn fat.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    /

This article is actually false. The more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make, therefore you will have lower cholesterol levels.

90% of your blood cholesterol is made in the body, not the foods we eat.

Did you actually read the article? It supports what you are saying. The title of the link didn't do it justice. This is one of the paragraphs...

Eating Cholesterol Does Not Raise Blood Cholesterol Levels

The truth is, however, that there is no direct connection between the amount of cholesterol you eat and the concentration of cholesterol in your blood. In most people, eating cholesterol has little or no effect on this amount. In about 30 percent of the population, eating cholesterol does in fact increase the concentration of cholesterol in the blood — but it increases the "good" cholesterol.

To put it in more scientific terms, eating cholesterol "results in a less atherogenic lipoprotein profile."

Thanks - I was away from my computer last night or I would've responded myself (since I posted the link).
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree also. I would much rather eat an egg than eat eggbeaters even if it means eating a few more calories. I have recently been cutting out most prepackaged foods and try to eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, meats and nuts. I'm still stuck on dannon yogurt because I haven't found an organic brand that I like. I buy cagefree, organic eggs.
    Why not make your own, use some dannon all natural to culture your first batch the keep growing it. That you can use whatever milk you want. I had some homemade goats milk yogurt that was amazing.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Why not make your own, use some dannon all natural to culture your first batch the keep growing it. That you can use whatever milk you want. I had some homemade goats milk yogurt that was amazing.

How do I do this? I didn't know I could!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

How do I do this? I didn't know I could!

I've made homemade yogurt several times - they make kits (I think they're special incubators or something like that) but I've made it with regular stuff at home..all I had to buy was some glass jars:
    http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/04/13/monday-mission-homemade-yogurt-the-easy-way/

I've also heard about people who use the oven to incubate the yogurt instead of the cooler method in that link I gave you. You could probably google "homemade yogurt" and look up some different methods. The one I linked to worked for me on the 1st try!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Have you tried Stonyyfield? Best Vanilla yogurt around.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I can't see the point in doing this?
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

I agree!! The egg whites are loaded w/protein but all the good stuff is in the yolk.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I agree!! The egg whites are loaded w/protein but all the good stuff is in the yolk.

I agree also!!

We should NO longer be afraid of Fat. It is healthier for us than we are being told!!
  • siduri
    siduri Posts: 5
    Options
    Ingredients
    1 egg yolk*
    1/2 teaspoon fine salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 pinches sugar
    2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1 cup oil, safflower or corn
    Directions
    In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

if you want to save your arm you can also use a food processor. also the type of fat really doesn't matter but the darker the fat the stronger the flavor will be. homemade mayo really isn't that hard it's just time consuming takes about half an hour.

I've made this recipe before, minus the sugar and white wine vinegar, but with a pinch of cayenne. It was absolutely wonderful.

ETA: Of course, hand mixing can be very tricky--the emulsifying process, that is. I really need a food processor!
  • PRCatie
    PRCatie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have also tried cooking my scrambled eggs in the mircowave so that I do not need to use oil or butter. Saves on that fat.
  • PRCatie
    PRCatie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have also tried cooking my scrambled eggs in the mircowave so that I do not need to use oil or butter. Saves on that fat.