Isagenix

Options
I know a guy who seems to be an honest down to earth guy. He and his wife make their living selling Isagenix. For the life of me, I am very skeptical of any man-made product that promises incredible results in the diet and fitness world. Any thoughts?

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It's all a bunch of crap I feel personally, I mean the way I look at it is ok great you'll lose weight drinking the shakes and what not, but what happenes when you start eating real food again? You'll gain it back. I think it is a big waste of money and I love food too much to want to live off of shakes, but that's me. Plus there is no quick fix for healthy weight loss. IMHO
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I tried the 7 day cleanse once, and lost a few pounds of water weight right away, but I can't recommend the program at all.

The shakes are *okay* when you drink them right away, but if you let them sit for more than 10 minutes, they get foamy and undrinkable, which worries me.

Do *NOT* do the cleanse. holy crap. I tried it once, and it screwed me up pretty bad for the rest of the week. There's no way that eating less than 200 calories in a day (even for 1 day) is a healthy way to lose weight.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I know a guy who seems to be an honest down to earth guy. He and his wife make their living selling Isagenix. For the life of me, I am very skeptical of any man-made product that promises incredible results in the diet and fitness world. Any thoughts?

I think you pretty much covered everything. He makes money selling this stuff. Of course he'll say it's the cat's meow. Continue to be skeptical of perfect foods or special drinks or diets. There's a slightly greater than 99% chance that it's a scam.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I know they sell a "superfood cleanse". Hmmm...two "fad" words used together is one giant red flag on the company in general.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    Just drink our special shake, take our special pill, and eat less than 500 calories a day! You'll lose weight, guaranteed!
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I will say, I used Isagenix a few years ago. It is the ONLY shake plan that has ever worked for me. I lost a ton of weight and kept it off for quite a while. I didn't gain weight back until after a few surgeries. Why I haven't gone back to it to try and lose this weight again, I am not sure. I have tried other shake plans...
  • Lilla35
    Lilla35 Posts: 99
    Options
    It's all a bunch of crap I feel personally, I mean the way I look at it is ok great you'll lose weight drinking the shakes and what not, but what happenes when you start eating real food again? You'll gain it back. I think it is a big waste of money and I love food too much to want to live off of shakes, but that's me. Plus there is no quick fix for healthy weight loss. IMHO

Agreed
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know they sell a "superfood cleanse". Hmmm...two "fad" words used together is one giant red flag on the company in general.

Let me know when they have an "organic fat-burner muscle-builder vegan superfood energy cleanse".
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Let me know when they have an "organic fat-burner muscle-builder vegan superfood energy cleanse".

*Gluten Free
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

*Gluten Free

You actually believe that fad?
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A close family member recently convinced me to do the 30-day Cleanse. I was doing it for health - not weight loss. I liked the shakes. I thought the cleanse days and supplements were total crap. I do think the shakes have quality nutrition, but it is completely unrealistic to have shakes for breakfast and lunch, for the rest of my life. In the beginning of the month, I felt really great - in control, losing weight, lots of energy. Then, I slipped, and it's one of those black/white programs - you're on, or you're off. The second I was "off," I was OFF. I spent the rest of the 30 days, trying to get back my control, and I just couldn't do it. I ended up with a total weight loss of 4 pounds, which I have since put back on (I've been finished with the 30 day program for about a month) I really tried hard to immerse myself in it, and just give it a try, but honestly, it's a fad diet. It WORKS. But so do Slim Fast, South Beach, Atkins, Paleo, WW, Jenny Craig, and so on. And Isagenix is expensive, in my opinion. Oh, and there's a 30 day money back guarantee, but that's pretty hard to do, when you know that someone close to you is making money off you. Also, as soon as you start your program, you will start getting pressure to sell it to people. My "family member" who was coaching me, really tried to get me to sell it, and as soon as I told her I wasn't interested, she basically stopped coaching me. The whole experience put a very bad taste in my mouth. I know that everyone is different, and there are MANY success stories out there... but I just felt really bleh about it. Glad I tried it, and now I know it's not for me. I need to NOT have a black/white sort of program. I need moderation, or I go bananas and binge.

Good luck!
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for your comments. I wasn't going to use it or sell it. I'm just confused how he in good conscience can sell it. But he really believes in it. I just don't. Again, thanks for your input.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know a couple people who are hard-core with Isagenix and both (separately) tried to get me on the wagon. They both had amazing results with the program and have kept if off for a LONG time (like, a year) but they both also use the program conssistently - so...
    I couldn't justify spending that much money on JUST my meals when that same cost buys groceries for my whole family for a couple weeks.
    Stick to real foods so you can operate in the real world.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice.
  • Pippa_ttc
    Pippa_ttc Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Errr.. Why is "vegan" on that list? Veganism is a lifestyle beyond diet. It's an ethical stance.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The fact that they need to create new words to describe what their products (and their ingredients) should really warn you that it's all nonsense. If it did anything real they could use real words.
    I know someone selling it. Both her and her best friend say they feel great doing it, but it's only been a month. You will lose weight, but that's because it creates a calorie deficit
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Stick to real foods so you can operate in the real world.

/thread
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Errr.. Why is "vegan" on that list? Veganism is a lifestyle beyond diet. It's an ethical stance.

It's an ethical stance for some and that's great for them. It's become more of a niche fad as of late to a lot of people though who decide to eat that way for the "title" in my opinion.
  • joyfylgrl
    Options
    Real foods + calorie deficit = weight loss.

Ok, seriously. Anytime there is a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Figure out what works for you LONG-TERM. I actually do like having shakes in the morning as it's an easy food for taking the kids to school...it doesn't have to be an expensive shake though. Protein powder, good fat, fruits/veggies will do the trick.

I personally think that in making a lifestyle change, it has to be sustainable long-term. Are you happy with what you are eating? Do you feel good? Do you have energy??? If you want to be a fad "vegan" (as that was brought up) and can't live without bacon, you're going to fail. Be realistic, eat real food, find something that works long-term with your family :)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I wanted to use "part-time vegan", but that didn't make sense in the context of a food label, so I just went with "vegan".

Honestly, I suspect someone could take issue with every term I used, so it's to be expected that there might be some collateral damage in the making of this joke. To make an omelette, you need to break a few eggs...(or to make an "omelette", you have to open a carton of egg substitute liquid).