How do I start running?

Options
I know that the answer to this question should be to just start. BUT, I want to enjoy it. I have always loved the idea of being a runner. I love the outdoors and really want to connect with nature so I feel like this is a really good way to do it. I am 24 weeks pregnant so I don't want to over do it as well. I have already gotten myself a running stroller so I am fully committed to this idea. What kind of music is best for running? What time of day is best? Could someone just give me some little encouragement or help with this?

Thanks so much!
Sarah

Replies

• aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I would ask your doctor first I'm not 100% sure but I was under the impression that you should only run when pregnant if you ran before getting pregnant.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I always thought that, too....how much I would love to run. And so I just started.....slowly. I think my first run was only 15 minutes but I made sure to run and not stop (the couch to 5K didn't work for me as I can't walk and run together for some reason). I gradually added minutes to that each week as well as days. Now three months later I am up to 40/45 minutes every day (once in a while I take a rest day and just walk). I have three dogs. I run with the bigger one and when I am finished I take the two smaller ones for a 20 to 30 min walk to cool down. So I would just go at your own pace and do what feels good. I didn't burn out this way and now I actually don't feel good if I don't go! Not sure about being pregnant though.....you'd have to monitor your heart rate. Maybe you could start after?
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ........ I am 24 weeks pregnant so I don't want to over do it as well......

I'm not a Dr nor do I play one on the interweb .... so - not touching that one .. please talk to a proper Dr..

Have fun
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    OF course, your OB/GYN should be consulted first, as he knows your history. IF you do get cleared to begin running, C25K is an awesome on line (free) program that progresses you through levels until BAM! one day you're really running.

This link helped me a LOT!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Good luck with running and the baby! :flowerforyou:
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    as above, running is fine when pregnant IF you were a runner before you got pregnant.

for now id stick to nice brisk walks and start the running after you have had baby.

hope all goes well with the little one xx
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous poster and ask your doctor. But for after the baby is born I would start with the C25K program. It's very very good and gives you a basic foundation for running. I don't run with music so I'm not much help there. As for the best time of day to run, that is really up to you and your schedule. I currently run during lunch or after work. After next week, it will either be before work or during lunch. It's just when I'm going ot have time. If you live in a humid and hot climate early in the morning may be best. Again, it is all up to you. But if you are serious about running, I would invest in a good pair of running shoes from a running store. It will help tremendously in the long run.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I hear nothing but good things about the Couch to 5K program.
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor before you start. There are some good beginner 5K (3.1 miles) and 10K (6.2) apps that you can get on your phone. Also the book running of mortals and Marathon for Mortals are good running books. I went from just running a little to finishing and 1/2 Marathon this year, but as I am a man I did not have deal with being pregnant, so please check with your doctor 1st. You may need to start with walking now and move to walk-run, running after your child arrives. Also visit a good locale running store, not one of the big box stores, to get fitted for shoes. This makes a big difference, and a good shop will help with advice to get you going.
  • BIGBMF
    BIGBMF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Only read title but.........left foot right foot repeat till satisfied
  • DublinHalo
    DublinHalo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ...I started with the free app 5K Trainer and now am on to the 10K trainer. They start you off nice and slow. It was great for me. I lam the same, want to be a runner BUT am not there yet! It is hard but does get easier. I have surprised myself along the way. Good luck =)
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Only read title but.........left foot right foot repeat till satisfied

TeHe .. you need to read the whole of the OP #smartarse
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should just start with brisk walking until after the baby. You could even do intervals of fast walking with slower to prepare you for running with a C25K program later. And keep in mind its not recommended to run with your infant in a jogging stroller until they are about 6 months old due to their lack of head control. I hope you have a good pregnancy and enjoy your new baby!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    have someone scary chasing you ...

heard good things about couch to 25K
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Start by walking.... When you feel like running, run a little bit.... Then walk... Don't over do it. It's not worth it. If you injure yourself you won't be able to run or walk and that's counterproductive. Also, you really won't burn that many more calories running than you do by walking at a brisk pace. Something to think about...

Good luck and have fun...
    Mark
  • Shropshire1959
    Options
    Start by walking.... When you feel like running, run a little bit.... Then walk... Don't over do it. It's not worth it. If you injure yourself you won't be able to run or walk and that's counterproductive. Also, you really won't burn that many more calories running than you do by walking at a brisk pace. Something to think about...

Good luck and have fun...
    Mark

what about the pregnancy bit?
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I will say I have done the C25k. It worked well. It's one of the few trendy things that actually works well. As far as music goes, the biggest thing is stuff you like. I do recommend finding music that goes in the 175-185 beats per minute that way you can use it for cadence (about 180 steps a minute will force you not to stretch your stride too long and put unnecessary stress on your knees).

Now I can't remember EXACTLY what website it was and the firewall on my work computer won't let me check, but I know it's either jogtunes or runtunes. You'll know you're on the right site when it asks for a genre and a bpm rate. But just set to a genre of music you like, a range that will get you in the 175-185 and pick out songs you like.

Hope that helps
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (while I was pregnant) to continue the exercises that you were doing BEFORE you got pregnant...but not to take on a new routine. I cleared my exercises with the dr. There is a woman at my gym who is about 8 months pregnant. She still lifts weights, but I can tell that she has slowed down a lot. I would not advise running at 24 weeks. Walking is probably fine (just clear it with a dr). I jogged until about 6 months and slowed down to walking right up until I had both kids.

Postpartum, just follow the dr's advice and take it easy. I started walking again at about 6 weeks and jogging again at 6 months.
  • jfbisbee
    jfbisbee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If its ok with your doctor...
    I used to run a lot and found that joining a running club helped, and was fun. Get to meet a lot of people with the same interests as you who can offer some good advice. Good shoes are a must.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    OF course, your OB/GYN should be consulted first, as he knows your history. IF you do get cleared to begin running, C25K is an awesome on line (free) program that progresses you through levels until BAM! one day you're really running.

This link helped me a LOT!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

Good luck with running and the baby! :flowerforyou:

QFT
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My top 5 things for making running fun (No need to repeat the advice re pregnancy / doctors...)

1) To start with. don't worry about speed or distance - focus on how long you want to be out for... Then use C25K type methods of walking/running so you feel comfortable and can enjoy being outside... which take me to point 2
    2) Run outside. If you can, run cross country. Even if its cold and wet, its still more fun than a tread mill, and being off road build up core strength and ankle strength so you are less prone to injury.
    3) Run with other people. Or a dog. My long runs are at least 50% just an excuse to have a gossip with my mates. And the dog is just funny to watch :).
    4) Sign up for an event - there is nothing like having a goal to motivate you. Make the goal a bit of a stretch for you, so if you can already do 30 minutes of continuous exercise (even if its not running) aim for a 10K. If you are starting from scratch, try for a 5K race. Aim to do a half marathon in a years time (yes, you can do this from nothing!!!)
    5) Be prepared to invest in good shoes, a running belt for drinks and gels (especially important in hot weather or +1hr runs), a foam roller & massage balls for self massage and a budget for occasional sports massages. You will not regret doing the things which keep you from injury... which also means giving yourself time to stretch after each run (guilty of not doing that one myself).