Value brands? healthy on a budget

Options
So i've always been pretty lucky and privileged to live with a family willing to provide me with the healthy foods i have asked for but soon i am moving out and don't want this healthly lifestyle i've had to go to waste and end up eating cheap tempting junk.
Needless to say i will be on a tight budget and i was wondering if value and supermarket own brands are just as healthy and tasty (to an extent) as the big brands.
Examples such as unbranded baked beans instead of heinz or cheapo shredded wheat knock offs

Any other advice on how to be healthy on a budget would also be really appreciated, thank you

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Honestly the majority of foods my husband and I buy to cook/eat are generic brands, not name brands. But part of that is we don't buy many foods that come in cans, boxes, etc. So there is less chance of there even being a "leading brand"...for example, tons of produce, lentils, beans, rice, etc.

The bread we prefer is a regional brand called Ozark Hearth and it's about 1/2 the price of similar brands. Best Choice is a cheap supermarket brand here too, and their staple items are excellent. I know they are sold at Food 4 Less, Price Cutter, etc...but I know that probably doesn't help you if you're outside of our area. Kroger has good staple items in their store brand as well.

We are big on ALDI. If you have their stores in your area I would highly recommend their Greek yogurt (plain), cheeses, unsweetened almond milk (we like the shelf stable boxed Simply Nature kind they sell, but Friendly Farms - their dairy brand - is good too), nuts, beans, hummus, Sandwich Skinnies, etc. They also have good affordable produce. While we don't buy a lot of canned stuff, theirs is pretty good (veggies, refried or black beans, etc). They have a line called Fit & Active that is pretty good too, although I would be cautious of the frozen meals since they're loaded with sodium and preservatives just like other name brand meals.

Good luck to you as you move out!! May I ask, which foods are current staples that you feel help you in healthy cooking and eating? This might help us to provide you with alternatives or similar cheaper products.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, your answer was extremely helpful! ALDI was definitely a place i was strongly considering too

My main meal usually always mainly consists of either fresh chicken breast and fresh fillets of fish from the counter (salmon, trout, basa, cod loin) with sweet potatoes on the side. I also eat lots and lots of fresh fruit and berries as well as greek yogurts, nuts and seeds as snacks.
    I've also noticed with lots of frozen meats and fish they add a lot of salt and frozen fruit adds sugar? is it possible to find frozen produce without additives?
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think you can do well at Trader Joe's if you have one?
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    We are big on ALDI.

Definitely.... I load up on the produce there every week...for a fraction of the cost...
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think you can do well at Trader Joe's if you have one?
    Don't have a Trader Joe's unfortunately:(
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, your answer was extremely helpful! ALDI was definitely a place i was strongly considering too

My main meal usually always mainly consists of either fresh chicken breast and fresh fillets of fish from the counter (salmon, trout, basa, cod loin) with sweet potatoes on the side. I also eat lots and lots of fresh fruit and berries as well as greek yogurts, nuts and seeds as snacks.
    I've also noticed with lots of frozen meats and fish they add a lot of salt and frozen fruit adds sugar? is it possible to find frozen produce without additives?

So glad it was a bit helpful. I noticed you're in England, and I'm glad you have ALDI! I am not really sure about the content of frozen food there, as far as things like salmon and other fish fillets I have not seen a lot of sodium added to frozen unless they're a more intensely processed type like battered fish or something. I do know a lot of chicken that is frozen has a salt solution or something (sorry I don't buy chicken at home so I have no idea really). As for fruit, most generic frozen fruit I buy doesn't have added sugar. It sounds like you are on the right track though! It may just be a matter of "settling" for the time being, on some cheaper or sale priced fish, chicken, etc. I don't know about your budget or fish/poultry prices near you but I would think it could be possible to afford the less expensive fresh fish/poultry if skimping elsewhere in your budget!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't know how it is in England, but in the US it's the same factories that make store brands and named brands... so they are often pretty similar. There's a lot of trial and error though, there are some named brand lunch meats that I can't stand, for example, while some are great.

For frozen produce, here from what I've seen they don't add anything, and yes that's a place where buying store brand is definitely worth it.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ALDI is perfectly wonderful - I have found all of their products very comparable to the ''real thing'' with sometimes more than half a saving on any grocery bill.

The biggest peice of advise I can give to you for saving money however - is not to buy anything that needs a brand on it. Rather to buy fresh groceries, meat from butchers, and any other ingredients as unprocessed as you can find them - perhaps even grow some of it. It means a lot more prep, and cooking - but is worth it on the wallet. Farmer's markets, local (and chains) butchers. Look for deals, buy in bulk and freeze.
  • CuracaoRunner
    CuracaoRunner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pearls of wisdom, Mao, that's why you're on my friends list ;) I have to agree wholeheartedly. If it's got a brand on it, it's probably something you'd want to avoid unless found in fresh produce e,g, Chiquita bananas.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Pearls of wisdom, Mao, that's why you're on my friends list ;) I have to agree wholeheartedly. If it's got a brand on it, it's probably something you'd want to avoid unless found in fresh produce e,g, Chiquita bananas.

Well, sure, if you have the time to make everything for scratch like pasta or bread (or oatmeal?). I don't :p
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I used to be such a brand snob but I got fed up of Tesco taking the mick with their prices so I tried Lidl, best thing I did. All sorts of brands and they are really good quality and most taste better than the brands I was so loyal to. For example Tesco smoked salmon, £5 a pack, Lidl £2.29 a pack.

It seems alot of people are doing the same as Tesco's profits have fallen and they are being forced to put their prices down. I'll stick with Lidl, the markets and local butchers though.

Need I say more?!
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    There are some things I will NEVER EVER do generic brands such as Mayonaise. I can only eat Hellmans. However, I have found that many generic brands tast the same as the name brands. I have heard that they are manufactured in the same company!! I think you will just have to try and see for yourself, what's good and what's not, however, I do believe that you will be preasantly suprised with your findings.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    We usually choose the store brands. There is a noticeable difference in flavor, we find it acceptable. Frozen veggies are relatively cheap because there is zero waste. They are very convenient, especially for one person.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Aldi for sure! The frozen vegetables and fruit have nothing added....just check your packaging to be sure.

Aldi is my first stop for produce.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Well, sure, if you have the time to make everything for scratch like pasta or bread (or oatmeal?). I don't :p

If eating healthy is as important as keeping to a budget - then don't eat pasta or bread, also making bread doesn't take up a lot of your actual time:

Mix the dough - 5 min
    Go about your normal day
    Get back to it when you can after it's risen - further prep if needed, if not into the oven.

Also oatmeal doesn't take ages either - put the oatmeal to soak in the fridge over night. If you haven't got three min tops to do that, then you also don't have 10 min to wait for a readymeal to microwave.

----

Something I forgot to put in my earlier post - now, and then when needed - I go to farmfoods, and do a massive shop, I can pick up a freezer's worth of veggies, meats, and berries - some pre-prepped, others not (prepped in this case only meals sliced/cut) It costs around £60 to fill my freezers, and it all seems to last 1-2 months feeding two people.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Working full time with two kids, I've had to learn how to cut corners, cut costs and still salvage healthy meals. I'm a big fan of frozen veggies. The steam fresh bags work very well when you're pressed for time and they do not have any added salt. Although you're in the UK, Birds Eye has steam fresh rice bags that include nothing other than brown rice and veggies. No added salt or preservatives.

In the US, a lot of fresh meats, especially poultry, have brine solution added to them, so I'm not sure if you're gaining much from fresh to frozen if you're looking to cut out salt.

I'm not on the Aldi bandwagon. It kind of scares me in there, and they don't take credit cards. I refuse to have a debit card, and hate paying a quarter for a cart so I'm out of luck with Aldi :)

Best of luck on your new adventure!
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sainsburys basics salmon is a favourite. Offcuts and different sizes, but cheap.
  • donnylou
    donnylou Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ALDI is perfectly wonderful - I have found all of their products very comparable to the ''real thing'' with sometimes more than half a saving on any grocery bill.

The biggest peice of advise I can give to you for saving money however - is not to buy anything that needs a brand on it. Rather to buy fresh groceries, meat from butchers, and any other ingredients as unprocessed as you can find them - perhaps even grow some of it. It means a lot more prep, and cooking - but is worth it on the wallet. Farmer's markets, local (and chains) butchers. Look for deals, buy in bulk and freeze.

This was the same advice I was going to give you! I found that buying fresh produce, tofu and stocking up on chicken, fish and the like when on sale is the best way to eat cheap! Definitely Farmer's markets...do you have a CSA group nearby? Some co-ops will even deliver to your doorstep or nearby location. Good Luck with your new step in life!