Heart rate when exercising

Options
Hi everyone. I have been on MFP for about 2 weeks now and really doing great with my calories and exercising. Last night I was walking on my treadmill. I started doing 15 min at speed 3.0 and have in the last few days worked up to 20 min, starting at 3 but spending at least 5min at speed 4.0. I realise this is small potatos - keep in mind I am just starting. Anyway, the heart rate monitor on the treadmill last night gave me a reading of 200 which made me panic because apparently my max heart rate is supposed to be 185. I felt absolutely fine!! But, I slowed right down because the heart rate made me nervous. So, I guess my question is, is it ok to let your heart rate go that high for a short time if you otherwise feel fine or should I be intentionally keeping it down. That will be difficult because I am very large and any exercise is going to get my heart going more than a smaller person but I don't want the fear of that to stop me getting my speed up etc. Hope that all makes sense. Any thoughts?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    have you seen your doctor and been cleared for exercise?

if you have, and dont have heart issues then dont worry about the heart rate.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As said above by Mesha you should check with your DR that you have no heart problems.
    Then you should have had an induction with the gym so they can set you appropriate targets.

I wouldnt worry about gym hrm becayse they are most likely innacurate.

Ive just been told to listen to your body. You should know when you are exerting yourself, out of breath etc.
    Just go slow and steady then consult with the trainers at the gym if you are worried about increasing things.

There are many ways of figuring out your hrm, but its highly unlikely you were doing 200 as the rule of thumb guides/ formulas start around 200-220 minus a figure equivalent to your age. (Yes I know 220-age is innacurate). The point is you wont have been 200.

If you dont wnat to rely on your body, then you could always get a HRM, which are jused by some and hated by others. They are just a tool, but you can monitor how hard your heart is working and thereby stay in certain ones if you dont wnat to push your heart beyond certain rates and monotor your increases in exertion that way. The point being it would be more accurate than any gym machine which is unlikely to give you an accurate reading.
  • pammyd76
    pammyd76 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses - you have eased my mind a little. I am quite 'healthy' for exercise which is why the reading threw me. I did too think maybe it wasn't accurate cos I wasn't working that hard : ) I guess I'll manually track it before, during and after exercising and visit the Dr if I get concerned. Thanks for the support though.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    a reading of 200 which made me panic because apparently my max heart rate is supposed to be 185. I felt absolutely fine!! But, I slowed right down because the heart rate made me nervous.

You felt fine. That's all you need to know. You'll know if you're pushing it too hard. 220 - age is typical max heart rate but that's just an estimate.
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

There are many ways of figuring out your hrm, but its highly unlikely you were doing 200 as the rule of thumb guides/ formulas start around 200-220 minus a figure equivalent to your age. (Yes I know 220-age is innacurate). The point is you wont have been 200.

This is not necessarily so. If you felt ok, there is a chance the HRM was wrong however, I would still say best to get checked and cleared by a doc... if nothing else, it will ease your mind. I was admitted to the hospital at 32 with a sustained HR of 220 (first thing in the morning upon waking). I've hit 234 on an HRM (during cool down from an easy run)... It is very possible that your HR can hit and go over 200.

If you don't want to go through a full work up for your heart, at least ask your doc if you should be concerned.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    In the past my HRM has behaved erratically, with my heart rate jumping between 0% and 140% of max.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What the last 2 said. From what you've said, the HRM was almost certainly not reading correctly. How is it measuring? Were you using a chest strap? Was it the "grab the handles" kind of thing.

If you were truly approaching your max heart rate, you would not physically be able to keep it up long at all. Total oxygen debt which would force a shutdown.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    a reading of 200 which made me panic because apparently my max heart rate is supposed to be 185. I felt absolutely fine!! But, I slowed right down because the heart rate made me nervous.

You felt fine. That's all you need to know. You'll know if you're pushing it too hard. 220 - age is typical max heart rate but that's just an estimate.
    I agree. I could get my HR to 200 pretty easily and did so in a doctor's office cardio stress test I took just for a general physical. They had no concerns. I was like 44, too, so the estimators never did work well for me (220-age). Some of us just have genetically high heart rates.
  • linztx
    linztx Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I found the bar handles on the machines at the gym to not be fully accurate. I ended up getting the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor, which is a lot more sensible. If it continues, or you don't purchase the HRM, I would maybe get it checked. I know, my heart rate can get pretty high - around 180, but, I just slow down for a minute to bring it down, and then start again!
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    An easy rule when walking/jogging. Do it at a pace where you can easily care on a conversation.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about the heart rate, consult your doctor.

If you're concerned about the accuracy of the HR reading on the treadmill, stick 2 fingers on your wrist or neck and check it yourself to compare.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Elliptical at the gym was giving me warnings yesterday too. Went up to the 170's. If your Doctor cleared you for exercise I'm sure your fine. I know my blood pressure was only 107/64 the other day. Possibly just slow up a tad when it gets that high.
  • AJeffRobinson
    Options
    Thanks for your responses - you have eased my mind a little. I am quite 'healthy' for exercise which is why the reading threw me. I did too think maybe it wasn't accurate cos I wasn't working that hard : ) I guess I'll manually track it before, during and after exercising and visit the Dr if I get concerned. Thanks for the support though.
    It was truly appreciable that you are making such a good effort for keeping your body healthy and fit. All the best.