Medifast

Anyone else on here do Medifast? I have lost 18.5 pounds so far on plan :)

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Congratulations on losing the weight, no matter how you did it!

What exercises did you tend to do during that period?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Isn't Medifast extremely strict and very....very low calorie?
  • Yes medifast is pretty strict and low calorie/carb. I do a modified version where I have 6 medifast/1 lean and green instead of 5/1 because I like to work out.

I have been ellipticaling and doing Pilates, and I try to get 4 or 5 work outs in each week :)
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Hi,
    I am doing medifast as well. I had done it in the past with great success, but I did not maintain well over the long term. I managed to maintain about a year, but not two years. So I am doing the medifast plan again, and hoping/planning to transition/maintain much better than I did last time. I had a taste of being at a healthy weight and I want to get back there--I felt so much better!
    Good luck, and feel free to PM if you need some extra support! I use the MF forums as well, and the user name is the same there.
    :flowerforyou:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I would not consider any "diet" a success if, over the long haul, you gain the weight back. Any plan that reduces calories is going to result in weight loss. Those pre-packaged plans are quite effective at inducing weight loss because they are low calorie and mindless for the consumer. Where most people on them fail is in moving away from the pre-packaged stuff and learning to cook and eat real food.

I personally found it more effective to start right out with learning to cook and eat real food and skip the expensive, mostly bad-tasting (and overly processed) fake stuff.

If you lose a lot of weight on one of those plans, but gain it all back, you are, unfortunately, in worse shape than you were before. Be very careful.
  • I agree that Medifast is expensive. The way I look at it, is it's a kick starter. It introduces you to start off with a low caloric intake and eating 6 meals a day!

Once the 2 or 4 weeks end then you can either work hard to continue the 6 meals a day or not... However, my husband enjoys the Medifast 4 week to help him get on track and then once it ends he does the 6 meals a day and have a healthy option for dinnertime. He was successful and now I want to be successful! None of my dieting habits worked because I was lazy and didn't discipline myself... I'm also a stress eater and a bored eater. Ick!

I want to have kids but I know I have to care for myself first and get fit!
  • shensleyvalle
    shensleyvalle Posts: 2 Member
    Add me! I have no friends on medifast :(
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I've not tried Meidfast before, so I have a question:

What is the difference between having 1300 calories that include Medifast and 1300 calories of real food to lose weight? The calorie count is the same, you'd lose wight no matter how you got your calories.
  • The Medifast meals average 110 calories each with only around 14 carbs each with around 4 grams of fiber. This nets out to around 10 carbs per packet. Each packet also has around 10 grams of protein, along with 20% of your daily vitamins. So, the packets are pretty much low carb, protein and fiber to fill you up for three hours, without sugar. It's all about Glycemic index with Medifast....keeping your blood sugar steady without spikes through out the day. There is a real science with this program, and if you do order, you also need to order the book "Dr. A's Habit's of Health" to understand it. There are several plans you can go on, most people start with the 5/1 for quick weight loss (900-1000 CALORIES). I just started with the 4/2/1 which is around 1100 calories a day because I have less than 15 pounds to lose. Just started the program, will let you know how it goes. The only thing I really don't care for is the oatmeal, the chicken noodle soup and the spiced pancakes are very good. They also have pretzels you can much on which is helping me so munch with the carb cravings. Speaking of carb cravings, I am on day two of this program, and they say it takes three days to get over the cravings. Once you go into maintenance, where you have lost the weight, you need to still eat a few packets of Medifast a day to maintain if you start gaining weight back. And you still need to eat low calorie, low glycemic foods, just read the book, it is wonderful!
  • And you get a free Health Coach with the program, lots of support.:smile:
  • I think Medifast and other similar programs are useful as long as the participants approach them correctly. If you are on a VLCD, lose a bunch of weight and then go back to the same habits that got you where you were when you started then of course it's a waste of money. BUT if you use the program to jump start your loss (especially for those of us who fall into the morbidly obese category) while addressing the root cause of your weight gain and learning the proper way to eat healthily as you transition off the program it can be a great asset. It's not for everyone, some people can't handle the restriction, and some people don't bother to learn the right way to go about things after they are done with their program...but the programs themselves aren't the problem in that case.

If you always do what you've always done, you're going to get what you've always gotten
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    The Medifast meals average 110 calories each with only around 14 carbs each with around 4 grams of fiber. This nets out to around 10 carbs per packet. Each packet also has around 10 grams of protein, along with 20% of your daily vitamins. So, the packets are pretty much low carb, protein and fiber to fill you up for three hours, without sugar. It's all about Glycemic index with Medifast....keeping your blood sugar steady without spikes through out the day. There is a real science with this program, and if you do order, you also need to order the book "Dr. A's Habit's of Health" to understand it. There are several plans you can go on, most people start with the 5/1 for quick weight loss (900-1000 CALORIES). I just started with the 4/2/1 which is around 1100 calories a day because I have less than 15 pounds to lose. Just started the program, will let you know how it goes. The only thing I really don't care for is the oatmeal, the chicken noodle soup and the spiced pancakes are very good. They also have pretzels you can much on which is helping me so munch with the carb cravings. Speaking of carb cravings, I am on day two of this program, and they say it takes three days to get over the cravings. Once you go into maintenance, where you have lost the weight, you need to still eat a few packets of Medifast a day to maintain if you start gaining weight back. And you still need to eat low calorie, low glycemic foods, just read the book, it is wonderful!

You have 17 pounds to lose and you are on Medifast and consuming only 1100 calories? With all due respect, you are kidding....right?

900 to 1000 calories, and even 1100, for a day is Really REALLY low. I can see someone who is obese and on a VLCD under strict Dr. Supervision doing this, because the risk of being overweight may be more than the risk of trying to lose weight quickly, but with so little to lose it seems to me you are setting yourself up for problems down the road.

And, what about this coach? Is he/she a doctor? Where does the MD supervision come into play?

Nobody has answered my question--what is the difference between eating 1300 calories of food and consuming 1300 calories of the Medifast products? I mean, it's the same amount of calories, so you'll lose weight at the same rate.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    My mom does medifast. She'll have a breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks, and a regular supper. Occasionally I'll have some of her snacks like the microwave brownie and protein bars, but that's it.
  • dbritt07
    dbritt07 Posts: 17 Member
    "Nobody has answered my question--what is the difference between eating 1300 calories of food and consuming 1300 calories of the Medifast products? I mean, it's the same amount of calories, so you'll lose weight at the same rate."

It's about the "balance" they use in the packaging. What Medifast would tell you is that each package is fortified with the right amount of CARBS (they have you in a mild state of Ketosis around 80-85 CARBS a day) and vitamins, fat, etc. So it's simplified for you so that you don't have to count calories or CARBS or worry about not getting the right nutrients. I take a whole food multi, Nordic Naturals Omega for fish oil , and a probiotic so I'm not a fan of synthetic vitamins like they use in Medifast meals or highly processed food so I had a hard time sticking to this plan in all honesty.

It will work if you stick to your own1300 calories or eat their food but it does come off faster with their food I must admit. I've done it, lost 40 pounds fast - then gained 45 pounds BACK within 6 months after going off it. I didn't pay attention to the transition part which is important. My problem with the plan and why it doesn't work long term for me is because I reach a point where I cannot stomach another package of blah or bad tasting food and I go off the rails and binge. While I easily get back on track, I wonder what the purpose is at least for me to be on a restricted plan like that. Also it is really 900-1000 calories a day total, not 1300. There are variations however where you can go on what is called a 4/2 - 4 of their meals and 2 of your own for example to up the calories a bit especially if you are like me and need to exercise. I could never do more than walk my dog on the very low calorie plan or I'd pass out.
  • aubaby
    aubaby Posts: 48 Member
    Your carbs are less than 50 a day so you do lose weight incredibly fast if you stick to it. It seems expensive but consider other than Medifast you only eat one meal of lean and green so it really balances out. I did it three years ago and lost 35 pounds. Over time I have put some weight back on and now I am working at getting it off. You can research it on Web MD. It is not a dangerous diet. But not everyone can do it so it is best to find out what works best for you.