Help! Weight gain on 1200 calories a day?!

Options
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I'm new here and totally freaking out. I have been intaking 1200 calories per day (sometimes less) and at first, had great results. Now, I seem to have gained 6 lbs since last week and if anything, have been eating less/working out more. It's also almost TOM which I know can be a factor, but how do I make sure I keep losing weight? This is so disheartening.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In order to gain 6lbs in one week you would have had to eat about 21000 calories over maitenance....

Water retention and cortisol can mask weight loss...and if you are truely eating that little and exercising more you are stressing your body raising cortisol levels which causes water retention...and if it's close to your period you have a double whammy.

Calm down, eat more food and drink some water.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In order to gain 6lbs in one week you would have had to eat about 21000 calories over maitenance....

Water retention and cortisol can mask weight loss...and if you are truely eating that little and exercising more you are stressing your body raising cortisol levels which causes water retention...and if it's close to your period you have a double whammy.

Pretty much this. For an active 26 year old women with only 6 lbs to lose, I would question why you are eating so little. If you want us to be able to look at your calories more, we would need to know your height, weight, workout routine and if you have any medial conditions. Also, do you have a desk job or an active job? And lastly, do you have a food scale and can you open your food diary?
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating more than you realise? I would say get food scales and weigh everything, just to be certain that you're not eating more than you think you are. That or a medical/health problem is the only thing I can think of here....
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder how if people's scales are malfunctioning or something, too. Is it digital? Maybe change the battery. Is it on carpet?
  • Taeyonnie
    Options
    72013536.png
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    t's also almost TOM
    Bingo.

And this -

• marshmallowfairy87
    Options
    Thanks all. I haven't looked at how to open up more info so will try to do that - in the meantime thank you for your reassurance. Gonna take in more calories, more water and forget about the scales for a few days.