SO sick of "dieting"

Options
Hi all,

So I have been on a "diet" for as long as i can remember - always yo-yoing and never really maintaining an ideal weight. I've noticed lately that I have felt super hungry and just been craving sugary foods - and just never seem to get full. I'm going to the doctors on friday to discuss this to check that there's nothing wrong with my blood sugar levels etc.

The thing is i am sooo sick of dieting - i don't want to constantly "count" calories or points or syns (yep i've tried everything - weight watchers, slimming world etc.). I just want to not have to think about food all the time and not feel hungry like i do when i'm on a "diet". I also don't want to spend a fortune on food or eat boring salads every day.

Does any one have any advice please? Getting desperate here :( Thank you xxx p.s. i have approx 2 stone to lose.

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    First of all - Don't think your on a 'diet' its a life time change!

Also see the things I posted on your wall the other day! Get the docs to do a blood test & check your thyroid glands!

You just need to eat healthy & move more - Don't complicate things!

Don't count calories if you don't want too! Just pick healthy options.

Who said you have to eat 'salads' ????

For you to lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn.... Eat your three meals a day, and healthy snacks!

Cut out sugar!

You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Work out your BMR & TDEE from the online calculators... Start logging on here

xxxxx
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    First of all - Don't think your on a 'diet' its a life time change!
    definitely agree with this

You just need to eat healthy & move more - Don't complicate things!
    i agree with this but its not exactly necessary to lose weight, you just need to eat less. eating healthier and moving more does make it easier though
    Don't count calories if you don't want too! Just pick healthy options.
    you shouldnt do it if you really dont want to, but realize that counting calories really is the best way, it takes out all the geusswork
    Who said you have to eat 'salads' ????
    agree. ive had probably 3 salads since i started losing weight
    For you to lose weight, you need to eat less than you burn.... Eat your three meals a day, and healthy snacks!
    you need to eat less than you burn, but 3 meals a day isnt necessary. you could have one meal or 10 meals and still lose weight
    Cut out sugar!
    definitely not necessary, but it may help you stay in a deficit
    You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    agree
    Work out your BMR & TDEE from the online calculators... Start logging on here
    agreed. best way to do it really
  • XLMACX
    XLMACX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This was near enough same as my post around 3 weeks ago! It all got too much for me and I got over stressed out I then decided to try and not be on any diet I thought I know how to eat healthy and sensible portions ect but then I binged for 3 days before joining weight watchers 2 week ago then moving back to MFP!!! The only options you really have hun is to either A) be happy with your body and accept yourself for who you are or B) carry on to do something about it but just see it as a “lifestyle change” if you stick to it eventually you will hit target and be were you want to and relax a little…some things I have thought of doing is maybe not counting 2-3 days a week for me this wouldn’t be on a weekend though as this is when I go a little mad so through my working days as im in a routine of eating same foods so I know cals in them or maybe not count mon-Thursday then just count fri, sat, sun least its not that bad then! Or maybe try 5.2 diet so you only count just 2 days of the week @ 500cals rest of days eat what you want in moderation! I really feel your pain I been dieting 3 ½ years and I ghet so mad because If I would have just stuck with something from January I would have been at my target now grrrr xx

p.s im on your MFP friends list feel free to P.M me we can help each other! x
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    If your salads are boring, you're doing it wrong.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    eat protein you will feel fuller for longer
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE- eat at 10-15% under that.

Work out/exercise for your health and well being.

Stop fussing- and over thinking.
    Long term and in the big picture counting calories is not that hard, or time consuming- it's easy- I log all my food for the day before I even leave my house.

The reality is- you either want your long term goal of weight loss- or gain- or body changes- or you don't.

If you want your end goal- make a plan- stick to the plan. Don't worry about the steps- and the day to day- the goal becomes more important than the day to day.

As far as foods- not sure why you think you need to eat salads all the time- I rarely eat salads- i like chicken and veggies and steak- lots of steak- and bacon and eggs- lots of bacon and eggs. You have to eat to fuel your body- make good choices and you can eat a fair bit of volume and still come in at a deficit. I prefer a higher fat/protein and lower carb arrangement- but it's not the one true way- it's easy to manipulate to figure out what leaves you feeling fullest with the least amount of calories.

You can do it- you just have to decide you're done being the way you are right now and the change and end goal trumps the difficult and minor inconvenience of the day to day choices. Your call.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    OP its not a diet look at it as life change. What are your numbers i looked on your diary and its hard to tell as you don't track everyday. But what i seen you are having way to many carbs and VERY little protein Have you every figured out your TDEE ? I am in a group on Facebook that has really helped me if you would like more info on it shoot me a message .
  • SarahMZxx
    SarahMZxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I need to sort myself out and stop messing around and overthinking stuff...and seriously stay away from the choccie biscuits!!! Not doing me any good at all! xxx
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Agree it's about lifestyle change, but you should view changing your body in stages like a body builder. Right now you're cutting. There's an end game and it's 18 lbs away. Then you get to maintain and reevaluate what you want to do with your body. You don't have to be at a caloric deficit the rest of your life. The quicker you get the fat off, the quicker your diet is over.

18 lbs at a 1 lb a week will take 4.5 months. Really, not that bad if you stick to it. I just went from 190 to 175 in 16 weeks. Get your habits down and it's easy. It's really all about good habits. Prepare for the week, don't make excuses, and have a plan.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Agree it's about lifestyle change, but you should view changing your body in stages like a body builder. Right now you're cutting. There's an end game and it's 18 lbs away. Then you get to maintain and reevaluate what you want to do with your body. You don't have to be at a caloric deficit the rest of your life. The quicker you get the fat off, the quicker your diet is over.

18 lbs at a 1 lb a week will take 4.5 months. Really, not that bad if you stick to it. I just went from 190 to 175 in 16 weeks. Get your habits down and it's easy. It's really all about good habits. Prepare for the week, don't make excuses, and have a plan.

2 stone = 28lbs ???
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

2 stone = 28lbs ???

Her ticker says she's got 18 left. Maybe she had a baby for breakfast.
  • SarahMZxx
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone - yep my ticker is old! Needs updating...it's 28 pounds to lose. It's going to be a tough one! xxx
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If your salads are boring, you're doing it wrong.

Agreed
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Does any one have any advice please? Getting desperate here :( Thank you xxx p.s. i have approx 2 stone to lose.
    Eat normal foods just less off it and log consistently. Your logging is all over the place. Some days logged other days not and the entries that are there are suspect. Set realistic goals and be consistent. You do not need to suffer or starve to lose weight you just need to be consistent.

Have a look at the links they will help good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sadly it's not a 'diet'. I get to eat as much now as I did when I started out, pretty much... because my maintenance calories are the same than my 'weight loss calories' were then.

You don't have to feel hungry though... Exercise so you can eat more, focus on nutritious foods etc. We can't really help with your diet if we don't know what you typically eat.
  • SarahMZxx
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I have logged my day today - just seems i'm always going so over on my carbs. I find it hard to cut them down if honest but know for weight loss i'm going to have to! xxx
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    You're dieting wrong.

Diet should be eating less food overall but still eating everything you love. And your deficit should not be so much that you are feeling hungry all the time (although if you have some days where you eat lower in fat and high in carb - ideally never lower in protein though - then you might have more hunger; or if you eat more calorie-dense things and thus have less volume for the day).

Today (or yesterday I guess) I ate a slice of homemade protein cheesecake, a few pieces of homemade protein fudge, kettle corn twice (the first being with my breakfast), and 2 frozen treats. I also met (and exceeded - which is not bad) my protein for the day, got close to my fats, and exceeded carbs because I noticed too late that I inputted my morning orange incorrectly (60grams instead of 160 grams), so I am over by like 20 cals. No big deal. I'm also eating 2100 calories, was eating 2000.

You do not have to lower carbs for weight loss. You need to lower calories for weight loss and it needs to be an appropriate deficit. Meaning no more than 20% from the amount of calories needed to maintain your weight. These are two calculators I'd suggest (2nd one estimates higher - either go wtih the lower one for now or average the two out, and be honest with your average daily activity levels. If you want you can input your average exercise day, then your average sedentary/rest day, and average the two out. I just estimate my daily average based on a week's worth of activity)
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Then aim for 0.8-1.5g of protein per total weight (or 30-35% of daily calories), 0.3g or more per total weight for fat (at least 20%, but 30% or more is fine), and then the rest in carbs.

So if your maintenance (TDEE) is said to be about 2400, then 1920 would be the minimum deficit you want to eat at. Change goals in custom settings, don't eat back exercise calories (don't bother logging exercise either, I log by hand though for strength training).

If you choose to exercise, do things you enjoy doing. I prefer weights so I don't do much cardio, and if I do it it's mostly for muscle soreness relief. I am probably going to add some low intensity cardio for 30-ish minutes on off-days though, just to help stay active every day.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Looking to lose two stone.
    I eat what I want, just less of it, and eat at a SENSIBLE deficit and I try and exercise more around my shifts.
    That's it - no "diet".... just eat what I used to, in moderation, and try and be more aware of how many calories I was putting away, and trying to be more active.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    just seems i'm always going so over on my carbs.

Could be because you are going for Low Fat products.. Remember fat is not fattening! But they fill the product with other stuff .. more carbs.

Look at your butties too .. the calories in the bread roll is high, yet you only put in 1/2 a slice of corned beef - which make up a small proportion of the total energy for the sandwich.. by far the largest part is the bread ... maybe try a wrap or Warburton Slims (about 100, I think)
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You don't have to count forever, just use this as a tool to become aware what is in different foods, and what foods you can have in your diet and lifestyle that fit for the long term.

This isn't a diet for me. This is creating future, healthy long term eating habits and getting active. I'm just using the calorie counting as a tool to learn what I can and can't eat.

And if you like chocolate biscuits- definitely keep eating them. Just eat less of them! I love biscuits but had a really bad history with binge eating and demolishing packets of them in one go! So now I always have a biscuit with my coffee in a meeting at work, as its easier for me to just eat one, but I enjoy it and I log it and its fine. Rather have one biscuit here and there than a whole pack in one go!!

good luck. Add me as a friend if you want some support.