Results with Hula Hoop?

Options
2»

Replies

• MsMo4DE
    Options
    I must be hula hooping wrong, because honestly, it doesn't seem like that good of a workout to me. It's a lot of fun though.

Also, if you've lost inches in your midsection, it's either because you've lost fat throughout your body, or because you core muscles were so weak they were really slack, but I know of no evidence that any specific exercise can cause you to lose fat in a certain area.

I've lost inches everywhere, but lately more off my thighs. it depends how much effort you put into it. I make a playlist on you tube and walk around the room hooping trying to advance off my waist. leg hooping is harder than it looks. watch the video from the link I posted above, it's amazing.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I can't hula hoop for the life of my. But wii fit helps to skip the actual hoop part. My heart rate definately increases when I do the 6 or 10 min rounds

Ditto. I'm determined to get 4000 spins, I think my most is 3700. (10 minutes.)

In October I fell off the balance board. Lol. I'd slipped in the bath and didn't realise I'd done any damage, until I fell thanks to my back seizing.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I must be hula hooping wrong, because honestly, it doesn't seem like that good of a workout to me. It's a lot of fun though.

Also, if you've lost inches in your midsection, it's either because you've lost fat throughout your body, or because you core muscles were so weak they were really slack, but I know of no evidence that any specific exercise can cause you to lose fat in a certain area.

I agree with this. I haven't seen results really. You can burn some calories doing it and build up the core, but I'm not sure how much fat reduction actually happens. It is fun, though. Be careful of bruising. I had some interesting ones when I first started.
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    Definitely! I dropped a few inches from my waist, torso and butt. I don't have the space to try hoop dancing, but do use dumbells with it, do squats and half lunges and quite a few different stances while hooping.

How does everyone else log it? I log it as general aerobics, since I usually go 20-30 minutes, but would love to hear how others do it.

for logging I type this in the exercise search in Cardio and it comes right up: Hooping (hula hooping). I also use dumbbells while I'm waist hooping. My daughter will stand there hooping while reading a book, then later she's a regular hoop dancer
  • Kapifrau
    Options
    hey, so happy to see so many posts. I want to use the hula hoop to have some fun at home while watching a movie or so. I also got to the gym and do my cardio, zumba classes and some strength training. thanks for all your answers. :)
  • jolievoila
    Options
    I was going to just lower my calories and fast, etc....

However, I'm surprised to learn that the hula hoop does work! I didn't lower calories, either. I work at home, so I do an hour of a high intensity workout video each day, and sometimes add a low intensity and mile walk a few times a week. Anyway, this keeps me not so sedentary, but belly still was pouchy.

I hula hoop every commercial on television or radio (whatever is on) for about 3 hours a day. I haven't lost additional weight, according to scale, but I have lost 1.5 inches. My stomach is flatter looking in the mirror. Seriously, it's flat. There is not fat bowl shaped bulge. My clothes are fitting better, too. I still have a little muffin top; that can't be helped, but it looks so much better.

Anyway, just wanted to add my testimony, as it seems that some people think the hula hoop is a bunch of nonsense. I tell you what's nonsense: a million crunches/reverse crunches, medical balls, fasting and all the other stuff I was doing. A waist of time and no results. It seems that in simply working with that area in a more targeted way, the body knows to slim down and shape up.

I use two hula hoops: a thirty inch and a 15 weighted inch. It took awhile to learn to keep the rhythm, but honestly, stick with it. It does work, hallelujah! Once I was able to maintain the rhythm, I seemed to see results within two weeks.

Hmmm... some say don't get one from the toy shop, and while I concur that the one made for exercise is good to start, my 15 inch is from the toy store and it works great. It's little, it has a bunch of stuff inside, weighs about 4 lbs and it cost a few bucks. I can do everything with the toy hula hoop that I do with the exercise one. Lol.
  • kileyloveall
    Options
    that is what i've been doing! and i've noticed a difference on my waist. i haven't actually measured, but it definitely feels tighter and smaller. I also read not to use the children hoops, but i think they give you a really good cardio workout since it takes more to keep them up than a dance hoop does. i love hooping, it is so much fun, and an hour really flies! so glad i dont have to do crunches, they kill!