• jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What's Facebook?
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    I've never had facebook!

^This!

Yep. I found it pointless when everyone wanted me to get one. If you're really my friend then you have my phone number, my email, my house number, and chances are I see you in person.
  • spsanderson
    spsanderson Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Deleted Facebook when I finished my BA back in May 2012, not missing anything, life still happens and it's still official.
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! LOL I deleted my Facebook account about a year ago. I hated all the gossip,and information that I got about people that I was no longer rl friends with. For the the people who are close to me, I know what's going on. I share pics with family from my Google album. I much prefer it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I keep it as my "behave myself" site because I have family there.

This is my home to be me.
  • Frobie
    Frobie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Facebook as fine as long as you stick to "your baby/pet/car is lovely!", "hooray I passed my driving test/exams/got married!", "the weather is terrible/fantastic!". I really like it as a way to stay in touch with people I don't actually want to talk to that often but like knowing what's going on in their lives but it's easy to see how it can suck people in to making comments that might come back to bite them in the bum at a later date.

Mainly I am very very glad facebook wasn't a thing when I was a teenager.

^All of this! So true!
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Don't use it much these days, just to keep in touch with golf buddies.
    I prefer MFP and Twatter...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I deleted my Facebook 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. Too much drama from my boyfriend's family. :noway:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I decided to go on a Facebook hiatus on Friday for several reasons, one of which was that I found myself framing every event in my life as to how I would phrase it in a status update. It was becoming too intrusive; I wasn't experiencing my life for myself but for how I would present it. Time for a little break. So far I haven't even checked in, but I *have* discovered that when you don't visit for a day or so, Facebook will send you an email telling you what you're missing. The fact that I never knew that service existed probably demonstrates my addiction better than anything. :embarassed:

@knitapeace -

Very well said.
    I found myself framing my experiences as status update and I realized that I "had an issue"
    I quit cold turkey 2 years ago, deleted my account and have not looked back.

Now I have to be careful about spending too much time here LOL :smile:
  • SandraJN
    SandraJN Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I haven't deleted it but I never go there. I stopped about five months ago and only go when someone messages me. I always thought I'd miss something and now realize there was nothing to miss!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    My husband deleted his account last Thursday and it lasted like 1 1/2 days and he had already reactivated it. I would delete it, but its the only way I stay in touch with my long distance family and friends. Otherwise, its just crap.
  • PMA140
    PMA140 Posts: 60
    Options
    I haven't deleted mine but I took the month of August off from it (mostly). I snuck on a few times to look something up but I deleted the ap from my phone where I was using it most.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I enjoy using Facebook. I got it back in the day when you had to have a college e-mail address to sign up. I don't post too much on there, but I do enjoy reading what other people post. It's a good way to keep in touch with people that you don't see often. I also like it to learn about businesses and restaurants, get other people's reviews on them. My mom and I also use the messaging often. We both have pretty busy schedules so we can't talk on the phone too much. She doesn't have texting on her cell phone so we message back & forth throughout the day through Facebook. I don't see too much drama on it. I only friend people that I know in person.
  • dannyxtyler
    dannyxtyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is a huge step that I've thought about taking for a long time but haven't had the courage to do it. I keep saying I need it to keep in touch with relatives who live a 17-hour drive away, but I find myself going to the website all the time, always catching up on my newsfeed. It's awful.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I came on here and deleted Facebook because this is more of a positive environment and I have people with the same goals and motivation that I do and am looking for.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I quit 4 yrs ago! Even for family that you don't see often or friends, there are so many other ways to keep in touch!

I love Skype! For me it is better than any phone call, email or letter! My kids get to see and talk to their grandparents and cousins etc.

Even a phone call or letter is better than putting your whole life out there for everyone to see!

Yes this site has it's social attributes but it's addictive parts are far healthier reasons to be here than to just see what someone you went to high school with, and don't even talk to, is doing today!

I have learned how to eat better and train harder on this site. The advice and success stories are huge motivators for many!

You can't get these kind of results on FB!

Kudos to you OP and to all who have quit FB or never had it! YOU ROCK!

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I only have FB because of my businesses but have someone else doing the posts. What a time suck. Nothing good comes out of it. Congrats on your decision.
  • Jonthomas79
    Options

Hmm. I notice you just started posting here right around the time you quit Facebook. Interesting.

I'm not sure how interesting it is, but yes, the same day actually. I also removed several games and apps that I felt were consuming too much of my time. It's good to be idle at times and not be bombarded by the weight of other people. Here, unlike Facebook, I can choose what topics I want to see etc. I don't have to scroll through and see 50 depressing statuses and all the awful, disturbing news in the world. I may return at some point, but I need a break from it. It's apples and oranges.