At The Gym??

Options
I am going to the gym at least 3-4 days a week. I do strength training and cardio. I do at least 30 mins of cardio every time I go (elliptical or treadmill) And I do strength training. I do a break in the strength training and just a do a day w/ cardio.

But should I be doing more cardio then strength training? To lose the weight I want to by end of may

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    IMO, you lose & tone faster when you combined the two. You can do cardio everyday. Its strength training that you actually have to give your body a rest for. So you can add more cardio and shed more calories.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    They are both really important. The strength helps with muscle and toning, which you want when you are losing. Also the strength helps with your metabolism.

I've noticed that since I've upped my cardio and my strength, that I've lost a 1 lb a week consistently from when I would normally do 3 days of cardio and a little strength training. I now work out 5-6 days a week.

What I've done that I think REALLY helps is changing your routine. At first I did treadmill, elliptical and went back and forth for my cardio. Now I go to free classes at the YMCA to mix it up. The mixing it up confuses your body and gets other parts working that you didn't know where there. So during a given week I will do bike, treadmill, elliptical, zumba, cardio hip hop.... and I always be sure to do strength at least every other day. Mix it up for faster results!!! :happy:

Hope this helps! :bigsmile:
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    thanks! :)

I do cardio everyday. I need to up the time on it though, I think. I try to do 2 days of strength, then a cardio day only then strength. But either way i do cardio every time before I leave.

Thanks for the info.

So I need to work in just a cardio day like every other day...
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you want you can ADD more cardio work out but not decrease weight lifting.
    Do 30 minutes of high interval intensity on your cardio so you can burn more at rest.
    And focus on your eating. In general exercise helps to stay focus on your goal but to reply on it as prime tool to lose weight is not a good idea.
  • jessecobra
    Options
    Some people will lift or strength train right after they do cardio. I like to run 30 minutes on the treadmill then jump on the weight bench. You can do cardio every day but rest the muscles at least 24 hours.
  • beckyb77
    Options
    Yeah I think you might want to increase your cardio gradually until you can do at least 45 minutes in one workout. I would do the strength training 3 days a week and try to fit the cardio in at least 5 days a week!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Definitely do not do Weights every day on the same area. I do Cardio 6 days a week rest fully on wed but I alternate days of weights. One day will do arms, another day do legs break etc.. I wont do arms 2 days in a row. I give them a days break. Keep up with the Cardio though!
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    thanks..

Normally when i do weights. I do my legs and abs together one day, another day my chest and biceps together and another day triceps, back and shoulders and do cardio after my work out, (MAYBE I SHOULD DO BEFORE?)

I normally do legs one day, chest one day(along w/ cardio) then take next day off completely.. When I go back I do just cardio, then do shoulders, cardio a day and back to my reg workout.. I am looking to change things up though. Definately will ADD MORE CARDIO!! THANKS!