Brand new- Looking for your best tips!

Options
Hey! I'm a new member to MFP- and I want to make sure this works. Not for the short term- I'm not looking for "diet ideas". I'm looking for ways to make a sucessful lifestyle change.

I would love to hear what has worked for other people. Any advice, tips, suggestions- all welcome!

Christina

Replies

• mandez19
    mandez19 Posts: 179
    Options
    Try to track your food as accurately as possible to see how much you are truly taking in. At least for a week or two so you understand how much you typically eat.

No carbs or sugar within a couple hours of going to bed or as long as you can resist before going to bed and literally 8 cups of water per day. These are two simple rules that will go a long way if you can follow them every day.

Part of a lifestyle change can also include going for a daily walk to get the body moving and processing the food you eat.

From all the suggestions you get take only a few things you think you can truly stick to for a long period of time or permanently. Your goal for each day has to be attainable and realistic.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Knowledge is power! Track everything you eat, every single day, and that will tell you exactly what you are doing to your body.

These are great posts to help you get on your way-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    The biggest thing I learned so far is ...stop eating out and don't under eat. Don't treat your body like a trash can.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Sorry for the loss of your father.

Congrats on you and your husband making a Lifestyle Change!
    i'd need to know more about 'you' for specific info. Generally, eat good, healthy foods as much as possible.
    Count the calories
    Get some exercise and count it.

Make sure more goes out than in.
    Drink plenty of water for your body.

Enjoy the process of new foods together.

Good luck!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power! Track everything you eat, every single day, and that will tell you exactly what you are doing to your body.

These are great posts to help you get on your way-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

YES! read those links and this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1. Keep it simple, don't overthink what you should or should not eat....i.e. track your food and exercise daily and be honest with yourself. I am a calorie in vs calorie out proponent and that is what worked best for me. I did not cut out any food groups or specific items. I just tracked most of everything I ate.
    2. Eat less and move more (move more might just be a walk around the block for starters)
    3. If you like gadgets…. a fitness tracker was the one main item in my weight loss tool belt that helped me the most. I use a fitbit, but there are several different trackers that can help you in reaching your goal. They are not magical, but they can help you better understand how much or little you move throughout the day AND help motivate you to move more
    4. Be reasonable with your expectations.
    5. Be patient
    6. Be consistent
    7. Be patient
    8. Don’t let a party/anniversary/holiday derail you. Enjoy your day and remember we do not become overweight in a day and we do not lose it all in a day.
    9. Be patient

Good luck.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a new member to MFP- and I want to make sure this works. Not for the short term- I'm not looking for "diet ideas". I'm looking for ways to make a sucessful lifestyle change.

I would love to hear what has worked for other people. Any advice, tips, suggestions- all welcome!

Christina

Baby steps. This is NOT a big lifestyle change, it is a series of small lifestyle changes. Start by logging whatever you eat, then start tweaking to get more in line with your goals. Start moving more. It may be just walking to the end of the block and back, or you may be able to start a regular exercise program. As long as you move more than you did, it will be very beneficial.

The main thing is to not try to do everything at once. It is just too much too soon both physically and psychologically and increases the likelihood of ending up with a crash and burn. Do you eat out or get takeout a lot? Start shopping and cooking at home one extra night a week, then increase it until the majority of foods you eat are prepared by you. Do you eat or drink a lot of empty calories (like sugary sodas, high calorie coffee drinks, chips, candy, etc)? Start switching out lower calorie options like diet soda or water, coffee you brew at home with some cream and sugar or sugar substitute, nuts.

Don't buy into the hype of any specific "diet". It is all about finding out what works for you and sticking to common sense. Our bodies are wonderous and sometimes mysterious things but they still work basically the same way: eat less than you burn and eat for balanced nutrition (whatever balance is best for your body).

Good luck on your journey!
  • LessofBrian
    LessofBrian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's encouraging to hear you mention a 'lifestyle change', as opposed to a 'diet'. You're already well on your way to success! Here are a few tips I'd recommend:

1) Count your food accurately. I was surprised by how much I was actually eating compared to what I thought I was eating.

2) Add some exercise! You don't have to be great, just remember you're lapping everybody sitting on the couch.

3) Cut out the soda, diet and regular. Drink water (lots of it). I also drink tea and almond milk.

4) See #1

5) Don't expect results overnight. It's easy to get discouraged but try to see the long-term picture. One year from now you'll be amazed at your progress---and so will your family and friends!

6) Speaking of family and friends, most people will be happy about your lifestyle change, but a few won't. Don't let the envy or jealousy of others slow you down. Encourage them to join you on this journey! But be prepared to (possibly) have to sever a few unhealthy relationships.

7) Eat for fuel. And put the best fuel in your tank!

8) Seek help for any food 'issues'. Issues from the neck up will almost always trump getting results from the neck down.

9) See #1

10) Remember, a lifestyle change is meant to be permanent. There will be tough days but the good should outnumber the bad 100 to 1. (Don't beat yourself up over one bad day!)

You can do this! Every day gets a little easier and once the compliments begin rolling in you'll know you're on track!
  • mumabearshaz
    Options
    Hi,Christina honestly one of the only successful lifestyle changes I've made was Oct 25th 2012 that was giving up smoking a significant change & even though I stacked on a huge amount of weight after I'm so so glad I made that devcission & stuck to it. Since then a lot has happened & here it am on this site heading in the right direction to a happier healthier lifestyle hoping to share good ideas with each other. I found that to make small permanent changes 1 at a time was the answer for me & try new things ie foods , exersises. Always be open to trying new things Scary & challenging YES but doesn't hurt to get out of our comfort zone. I was told about this my fitness pal app for my phone by local ( HITH ) hospital in the home nurses when I was got sick . I'm glad I got sick because I was so far down id almost given up caring. I remember I tracked all my cals & I was shocked at it saying 2880 cals so I started just trying to eat 300-500 calls less so about 2200 & did that quite easy for 6 wks. Then I was taking a closer look & found I could change how many cals then try to eat less than that & I felt silly I hadn't figured that sooner. I have since dropped it to 1500 although I'm finding that harder so I got mobile more. I gave up drinking so much coffee then gave up sugar & started using hi-lo milk, I eat min 1 fruit a day & I have a dietician,a physiologist, my GP , local leisure centre , my daughter & sometimes my sister for support & guidance along my journey of change. I recommend this way to go to anyone. Also now I can get support from this online community. Cheers to both of us I say to being healthier.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • crpeterson84
    crpeterson84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thank you everyone for some of the great tips. I am noticing a trend in the weighing my food. I try to measure my food as much as possible, but I ordered a food scale online. So I should get that in the next couple of days as well.
  • Below30
    Below30 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great info. The only thing I didn't see was weekly meal planning and preparation. It makes a world of difference when you get to Wednesday and don't want to think about what you are going to eat. You got this!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Everything above is great.

I know that I am repeating a lot of people here, but a digital food scale changed everything for me!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    listen to Trog, he's got the scoop!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One more thing. Ignore anyone who says "you HAVE to (insert diet advice here)" The only thing you have to do in order to be successful is know how much you are putting into your body and have an accurate assessment of how much you body uses. Everything else is opinion or "bro science". It doesn't matter if you eat one meal or six. It doesn't matter when you eat. It doesn't matter if you drink diet sodas. What matters is what works for you and is sustainable long term.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    listen to Trog, he's got the scoop!

+1
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Wow so much amazing advice here! Marking this thread for later, for sure.
  • mgretcheng
    Options
    -Water. AND TONS OF IT!!
    -eat the most for breakfast, and the least for dinner. Somewhere in between for lunch
    -DO NOT eat after 8:00(pm), technically 7:00, but with some schedules that can be slightly complicated
    -Do little things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator
    -Always ask yourself "Can I walk/bike there?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    -Water. AND TONS OF IT!!
    -eat the most for breakfast, and the least for dinner. Somewhere in between for lunch
    -DO NOT eat after 8:00(pm), technically 7:00, but with some schedules that can be slightly complicated
    -Do little things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator
    -Always ask yourself "Can I walk/bike there?

meal timing has no effect on weight loss, nor does the amount per meal.
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump for later. Great suggestions!