Extremely hungry

Options
Hey everyone :) I hope some of you can give me tips about the following:

Since about a week, I decided to go back to logging food etc (Lost 20 kgs past 2 years, but gained a few back last months) and it all went smoothly. Not hungry, lots of healthy options (veggies, protein, etc.), and I also started doing the 30 day shred (20-30 minutes of circuit training every day). I did take one break day last week, and am planning to have another rest day tomorrow.

Anyways, today I've been so incredibly hungry. Nothing I eat satisfies me. I chose lots of healthy options at first (egg, apple, carrots, tomatoes, bread with avocado, beef, broccoli, now a ciabatta with peanut butter and earlier on a muffin - bad choice, I know). It's ridiculous. I'm way over my calorie intake (due to the muffin, but without it same thing). It's since this morning and just hasn't stopped.

I'm on one of the last days of my stop week with the pill, could that have to do with it? Or did I do too much exercise?

And should I give in to the hunger, and if so, what do you suggest? Get some eggs, or more carbs/vegs/fat? I'm not used to eating this much, lol!

As long as I feel hunger, I know I won't be able to do the work out either. Tried it once before and makes me want to sit down, so that's not a good idea.

In short: how to stop this hunger in a healthy way?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Veggies and Water. The fiber and low cals with a lot of bulk in the veggies should help you feel full.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I know when I am close (and during) TOM I am constantly hungry, nothing fills me up

when I have those days I tend to try and aim for protein dense foods and indulge myself with some dark chocolate or home made dried fruit.
  • Sarra33
    Sarra33 Posts: 30
    Options
    I think you just have to figure out what works for you.

Veggies and water make me feel hungrier. Especially raw veggies. Not sure why.

If I'm feeling unreasonably hungry I need meat and caffeine. I can usually satisfy any hangry feelings with a couple ounces of whatever leftover meat we have in the fridge and a cup of coffee or tea.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I find hormonal fluctuations can affect my hunger level, so, yes, that could have something to do with it. However, you have to remain in control I agree with PP that you should get some bulky fiber in your system, because it may help.

I will also add, though that maybe you should stop and listen to your body... I find when I am ravenous and a seemingly bottom-less pit, if I stop & listen I will realize what I am craving. If I eat that thing (salty, sweet, savory - whatever) my cravings subside. I don't BINGE on that item - I have just a portion followed by something filling & healthy - but that helps.

Some might recommend you go for a walk, too. For some, the exercise can derail cravings.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a few days a month at least. Never pinpointed *exactly* what it is, but it seems to happen with some regularity, so it could be hormonal. For you it may be due to that as well, since you mentioned being in your 'no hormone' cycle of the Pill. It could also be your body craving nutrients or extra protein. Your calorie goals may be too low as well without you realizing it. It's a trial and error thing sometimes to find your sweet spot.

Usually when it happens I eat badly for a day, then I figure out what's going on by day 2 and start loading up on protein and let myself have a sweet or two that fits in my daily allowance. After around 4 days it goes away for me.

I would say maybe load up on protein, good fats and vegetables. Satiate the hunger, feed your body if it needs it, see what works, experiment a little until you feel better. And watch out for a pattern, it might happen again and help you figure it out easier next time.
  • mrsher2
    mrsher2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree; lots and lots of water! Especially when you eat because it will make you feel full. I get super hungry from time to time and it is really hard so keep making the best choices you can, try to distract yourself from head hunger, eat lots of veggies because they are low cal so you can at least keep eating, and do your best! Maybe allow yourself a short period of less weight loss (AKA more calories) to recover. Or eat more and exercise more, too! Sometimes eating a big snack or meal makes the hunger go away and a really long walk or extra workout can be enough to balance it out.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You could try adding a protein shake or a cup of hot tea always helps me.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try grass fed red meat, or almonds.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Try all that healthy stuff first. But I know when I get that way, healthy isn't going to cut it.

I go get a can of fat free ready whip. I eat as much of it as I want (it's 180 calories for the entire can) By the time I'm done, I'm so nauseated I can't eat a thing the rest of the day.

Not the best approach but it works for me.
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There's already a lot of good advice on here, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. :)

When I get that way, my go-to snack is a sliced apple with almond butter (I heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave so I can use it for dipping instead of spreading). Between the carbs from the apple and the protein from the almond butter, it almost always satisfies. Also, of course, lots of water. I tend to drink more than seems humanly possible. But if you can't find anything that satisfies, it might be good to give yourself an allowance because one bad meal won't make you fat, just like one good meal won't make you fit. It's all about moderation.

Also, something else I just heard stuck with me: if you're not willing to eat veggies, then you're not really hungry ... you're just craving. Food for thought!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I recommend a tall glass of warm or cold full fat milk (soy or cow milk) as a snack. Have that with some wheat crackers and PB or something similar. Milk has lots of protein and enough fats to keep you full. Same with the fiber from the wheat and similarly fats from the peanut butter. Plus, milk is in liquid form so it takes a chunk out of your stomach and helps with fullness. This always works for me at least. :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have those days too... Hormones. Seriously before MFP I would end up eating a whole box of pasta when it happened, and it's the only thing that helped :sad:

For me I need complex carbs. Forget veggies and all the healthy stuff - the only thing that will satiate me when it happens is pretty much pasta, oatmeal, or a big sandwich.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    3 things: Protein, Water, Fiber.

If you're doing something like a Shred, then you're going to be blowing through calories. Protein sticks with you longest, and fiber helps you feel more full.

One of my nutritionists told me "focus on the protein, and the fats/carbs will take care of themselves." I've found that to be pretty true. Whenever you go to eat something - start with a lean, healthy protein. No matter what. I'm sure you know baked chicken is better than fried and that sort of thing, but make sure you also have protein snacks like light string cheese, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, or protein shakes.

I just found a Nature Valley "protein crunchy granola" that I'll sprinkle some of that into my greek yogurt.
    Someone I know will put chocolate protein powder into vanilla greek yogurt.

With the fiber: I like the chocolite bars from Healthsmartfoods.com. There are usually coupon codes available at retailmenot.com too. My favorite is the triple chocolate fudge. My husband likes the peanut butter and the cashew caramel. I usually have 1-2 of those a day, and it really has helped curb my hunger, and they're sugar free/gluten free - have about 10g fiber and about 10g protein....only about 100 calories.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the hormone comments. I try to increase my fat intake on these days, and it seems to help. So things like peanut butter, nuts, cheese, chocolate, etc.
  • Ritataylor
    Ritataylor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can make sure you get enough protein and carbs. Cut out carrots because they have a lot of natural sugar. Eat lots of green leafy veggies. stick with blueberries, strawberries or apples for fruit. Avacodos are great but they have a lot of fat in them. Keep it to 1/8 of a slice.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You're doing a lot of exercising and, yes, sometimes I'm just hungrier than other times. Line me up with the responders recommending protein and fat. When I'm in the ravenous zone, nothing else will do. A calorie dense small snack or meal is better when I'm in that place than even a large volume of vegetables in terms of whether I reach a point where I feel satisfied. Nuts, peanut butter, cheese, yogurt -- something like that.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Guys :) I'm so overwhelmed with all your kind responses!! So helpful!

Once I read the first post, I realize I didn't drink enough today (work was hell, I simply forget about water sometimes). So I drank two big glasses and after about 30 minutes I felt much better.

I do think it's a combination of both a new diet, doing the shred and hormones probably.

Some great tips in there, like adding some fats or eating a small portion of that what you're craving. Will look back on it all on what to take to work whenever I get this hungry again, so I can avoid going for the stupid muffin.

Water helped me that much, that I was able to do my workout tonight. Tomorrow is a rest day, let's see how friday goes.

Thanks again guys, great community :)