is there anyone with health issues

Options
hi just wondered if there was anyone trying to lose weight because of health issues
i am trying to lose it because ive got underactive thyroid
would love to help motivate others and get get motivated myself

Replies

• crom911
    crom911 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a bum ticker if that counts :) and yes exercise and loosing weight is helping it get stronger every day.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have migraine and diabetes runs in my family. My migraine is being handled well, but most have found that reduction in stress and in weight can help. I'm not diabetic, or even pre-diabetic, but I could be on the path towards it if I don't start caring for my body.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I use to have high blood pressure, but finally got off meds because I lost some weight. Need to keep dieting or they will put me back on them. Still on anxiety meds, but have cut down to 1 a day instead of 2. Getting healthy does help you get off some of those meds and you feel so much better.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm made of health issues, which actually inspired me to lose!

I have horrible asthma that is barely controlled on a daily basis with a twice daily inhaler plus rescue inhaler, a bum colon (IBS for the win), and heavily medicated PTSD

I'm losing so the asthma and IBS are better under control (please please please... the weight I've lost already has made a HUGE difference for both) and so that I can lower the dosage of my psychological medications (because they're really not good for me long term).
  • ericarenee2005
    Options
    Definitely. When I started back in january I had been suffering with sever fibromyalgia for the longest time. Since then I have mostly over come it. I also have underactive thyroid. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • joycepenman
    joycepenman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hi sorry to hear you have bad ticker....its always great if you manage to lose
    weight ....its not easy but i am determined
    nice to meet you
  • donnabullen
    donnabullen Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have asthma and food allergies but have to say working out and running has certainly improved the asthma xx
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When I started, I had severe pain during my menstrual cycle due to endometriosis. That wasn't what got me on my path to healthy, though. My family history of diabetes, heart disease and other assorted ailments was one of my motivating factors. I'm now much healthier, AND I no longer have as much pain during my cycle. I feel so much better!

Nice to meetcha too! And welcome to MFP.
  • joycepenman
    Options
    hi it seems we all have different issues
    ive been told i need to lose the weight because of my asthma
    but its not easy trying to exercise and getting breathless which makes me panic
    feel free to add me and we can help motivate each other
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm working out to maintain my weight and to build muscles around my knee due to 3 knee surgeries on my right knee :)
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Being overweight IS a health issue lol
    I get the actual question though, not trying to be a smartass...

I have asthma, but its acute and totally under control. And its not why I'm exercising. So I guess my answer is no!
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I also have an under active thyroid as well as high blood pressure. My thyroid has stayed in check for years now on medication, but even after losing a LOT of weight I still need the meds for high blood pressure. I had lost 190 lbs and STILL needed the blood pressure meds. Obviously I gained some weight back, but I'm back at it again. Feel free to add me! I proved it was possible to lose a great deal of weight with an under active thyroid, so I KNOW it can be done!
  • kaybayx
    kaybayx Posts: 4
    Options
    I actually have hypothyroidism! It makes it really hard to lose weight. Just got checked yesterday and hoping that my medicine is stabilized so that I can start losing. My thyroid is always acting up! Good luck to you.
  • joycepenman
    Options
    hi thank you very much ....i am going to try as hard as i can and hopefully it will come off slowly
    hope you have good luck too