Calories Gained Back From Exercise - To Eat or Not To Eat!

Options
I am currently eating 1430 calories a day. I typically work out 5 times a week. Should I be eating the calories I burn through exercise if I'm trying to lose weight? Thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your goal a little lower than other calculators assuming that you'll log your exercise and eat back the extra earned calories. If you're letting MFP set your goals, then yes, you're meant to eat at least a portion of them to help keep you at a healthy deficit. If you're setting your calorie goals through other sites/calculations then it will depend on how they're set.

With the caveat that MFP or gym machine readouts have a tendency to overestimate the calories burned during certain activities. A lot of people choose to eat only 50-75% of those earned exercise calories just in case of any inaccuracies. Pay attention to how you feel, your energy levels, mood, gym performance, etc.

More info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry? If so eat.

Are you tired and worn out? If so, eat.

Are you feeling, strong, peppy, healthy and raring to go? Don't eat.

That's my advice. I think MFP is extremely ambitious with those "calories burned" things. I don't know it for a fact, I just know I don't buy it.

Everyone is different, so you'll get a bunch of different responses (every kind, really) and end up having to just choose for yourself, anyway.

Try what you want. If it doesn't work, you can always switch it up later.

:)
  • LuckySlydog
    Options
    My RunKeeper account is linked here and when I complete my jog it will add those calories I burned into my diary and my remaining calories for the day goes up.

So either I can have a treat and stay on track or not eat if I'm not hungry and the weight will come off faster.

Your exercise will allow you to eat more...if you want to :)
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For me, I was adding the workout calories and eating them....and watching my weight go up and down with it. So, I disconnected my gear from MFP. I eat my calorie goal and if I exercised that day, then pat on the back for me but no more food.

However, I will reconnect them once I hit goal and learn the ins and outs of maintenance.
  • christylynn622
    christylynn622 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing and have seen various opinions on MFP...
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    It depends on where I'm at. generally yes I do. especially if I've slipped below my goal weight. right now eating every one if em try to find my maintenance calories. keep good data to refer to to see if rate of loss matches your expenditure.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My Dr. forbids me to eat the calories burned because almost everything overestimates them. If your goal is to lose and you're not absolutely dragging butt for days then don't eat them back. My new HRM shows I burn approximately 1/3 of what MFP said I burnt. Eating back those calories would be devastating to the whole weight loss plan.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My Dr. forbids me to eat the calories burned because almost everything overestimates them. If your goal is to lose and you're not absolutely dragging butt for days then don't eat them back. My new HRM shows I burn approximately 1/3 of what MFP said I burnt. Eating back those calories would be devastating to the whole weight loss plan.

MFP itself is pretty notorious for over estimating and normally people start out at 50% and work from there.

Edit: Exercise cals become much more important the closer to "goal" that you are. It's tough to tell since OP's profile is closed, but I bet they fall within that category and should start out eating back ~1/2.
  • AydensMom37
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I rarely eat them all back, i am usually under my calories but I've also read that if you aren't eating enough, your body stores fat and burns muscle. I will listen to my body! :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I rarely eat them all back, i am usually under my calories but I've also read that if you aren't eating enough, your body stores fat and burns muscle. I will listen to my body! :smile:

It's all guessing because without an open diary, it's tough for any of us to tell you what plan is probably best for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing and have seen various opinions on MFP...

The varying opinions are for lots of reasons. The answer for you depends upon several factors

1. How aggressive is your weekly goal? Obese people can have larger deficits & still be safe. Do you know your TDEE & BMR? This will help you tell if your goal is aggressive.

2. How is your exercise measured? HRM, FitBit, BodyMedia.

3. What method are you using.....MFP or TDEE. Because TDEE (less a %) includes exercise up front.