Thoughts on potatoes?

Options
So for breakfast I sometimes like to have red potatoes. I like to slice them, toss them in olive oil (not a lot!) and then cook them in the microwave until they are..well cooked XP I do this because they always burn when I try to cook them in a pan on the oven. I was just wondering about peoples' opinions on potatoes. If you eat them while trying to lose weight, if the way I'm preparing them is healthy etc. :smile:

Replies

• jeffonefifty
    Options
    They are very high in potassium which is great. I plan on incorporating them into my diet, probably sliced and baked, no oils though.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes and eat them a lot. Mashed, baked, boiled. If I put olive oil on them, i use a brush. It coats them well and doesn't use as much as if you toss them.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Delicious and nutritious. My calories and macros allow a small baked potato tonight, with butter and sour cream! Woot!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are delicious, healthy, and a good carbohydrate.
    As long as you don't drench them in butter, oil, cheese, sour cream, etc... :)

I like to make oil free hash browns with bell pepper and onion and mushroom.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I save my baked potato for the weekend on my cheat day so I can add a few goodies to it. During the week, I have been adding a half of sweet potato and that has been nice. Potatoes aren't bad, it's all the extras that we put on them, but that's what makes them so good.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat potatoes, why not?!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Good Potassium... which is especially helpful in counter acting sodium.

I love the SELF NUTRITION DATA website almost too much info to process:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2554/2
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eat them! They are nutritious. I mix up regular yukon potatoes (less starch than russets), red potatoes, and sweet potatoes in my food plan. I like the variety. I've learned to like the sweet potatoes with just a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper and baked.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes are great as well...........in moderation

I like them in the fall, I slice them thinly and put them on a baking sheet and they are much better and healthier than potatoe chips ,which I am addicted to, but avoid like the plague

If you use moderation, I suggest them as well.....great potasium source........add me as a friend if you d like, Im running low, lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Love them! I have them boiled, mashed with a bit of milk and butter, or baked as fries with 1 tsp of olive oil.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love red potatoes and eat them quite often with dinner (sweet potatoes are a nice alternative). My method is to chop them, spray them with some olive oil, add salt and pepper and sometimes garlic and mix them around a bit. Then roast them until finished. For ease I often toss in whatever vegetable I'm eating on the same pan when the potatoes are close enough to finished.

Just weigh and log them so you know how many calories you are eating.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have a salad shooter that I use to make my own hash browns...yum
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    High carbs
  • joyfylgrl
    Options
    Mmmmmm....potatoes.....One of my favorite ever meals is tortilla espanola which is essentially a potato omelet or fritatta :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    High carbs

Mostly carbs, yeah. 72 calories and 16 carbs for 100 grams of red potatoes, weighed raw.

Is that a bad thing?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Love both regular and sweet potato, have them most every day. :bigsmile:
  • Limath
    Limath Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love fried red potatoes for breakfast, with an egg. Thinly sliced with a mandolin, the fried in a tsp of canola oil on very low heat until cooked through. You can turn the heat up a little bit at the end, if they need browned.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It's National Potato Day!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It's National Potato Day!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Is it really? I'm so excited!! I eat potatoes probably 5 days/week. Love, love, love 'em. The only "trick" I do is I switched out the sour cream for some Greek yogurt to get the protein boost. Carbs (non Keto/low carb/Atkins people NEED those), fiber, potassium, vitamin C, etc. all in a neat little, jacketed package.
  • Amandastan
    Options
    The thing is , they are very filling and depending on how prepared low in calories. A bakes sweet potato is slightly over 100 calories yet is filling enough to be an entire meal. Yes they are carbs but what the no-carb dieters don't tell you, is that you need carbs for energy.