ideas for small rewards

Options
I am approaching my first "reward weight" where I give myself a small reward. The trouble is I don't know what I want as my reward. Any ideas? I've thought already maybe a pedicure or other beauty treatment at the salon, but I was looking for more ideas because that seems so cliche. What are small ways you reward yourself for 10 or 15 pounds lost?

Replies

• MLouis1
    MLouis1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Mani, pedi, or massage! I buy clothes (on sale) when I have gone down a full size. :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    shopping, wether its clothes, a new movie, or a pair of earrings that makes you smile you decide

something fun you have been wanting to do, you earned it, set aside a block of time just for you, could be the pedicure or it could be a new hiking location, anything you want really

I usually take a day off or have a special meal, but only do that if you know you can get back on track after
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Shopping is always fun - look for online bargains, and/or go out and window shop. My brother always loved getting Williams Sonoma gift cards for whatever the occasion so he could save them up and then buy something he really wanted.

I've got some saved from Pier 1 from my mother-in-law, and another one from Macy's. When I get to my next goal, I plan on using them.

Even if it's a vacation day from work - that could be a reward!
  • dhall2011
    dhall2011 Posts: 209
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. We'll see what I'm for when I get there. I'm thinking it will be in a week and a half. :)
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Every 20 pounds I am going to put $50 into a tat i want.
  • allangirl
    allangirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Nail polish, something at the bookstore I have denied myself, a movie or TV series I have wanted, expensive mascara. I'm not an impulse buyer so there are always inexpensive things I want but don't need. I'm working towards a goal weight so I can justify a $28 candle at a gift shop.
  • jstockler
    jstockler Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Something I couldn't do before I lost that amount of weight---usually buying a smaller size anything and enjoying the trying on time of all different stuff that I might not even buy.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    NOT SHOPPING.... I lived in a 300sq ft. apartment for almost 20 years... last thing I need is more stuff.
    spend some time reading/vegging/people watching in the park.
    ...at the beach
    go to the movies, a play or concert
    go on a hike
  • bubsnoble
    bubsnoble Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am down to 218 from 245 a year ago.. slow progress but it is coming off faster :) anyways one I get in the 100s I am going and getting a fabulous new hair cut ;) I am not going to do it at 199 lbs though lol maybe 195 or 194 lol
  • brucestjohn
    brucestjohn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I normally reward myself with a free day of eating whatever I want. Then, when that day comes around I normally end up treating like any other day.

It's all psychological but I feel like I'm rewarded with the opportunity to eat what I want but, realistically, I'm also rewarded by not eating more than I really need to. Therefore it's a win-win situation for me.
  • aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I like buying new work out clothes :]
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I like to read so every 10 lbs I get a new ebook.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Hair dye, hair cut/style
    Mani/pedi
    Massage

Clothes
    Sexy clothes or workout clothes/shoes

Piercings/tattoos
    Jewelry

Kitchen gadgets

Exercise equipment
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    All of the above are great and I have done most of them. I even had an old tattoo redone, so I didn't have a black smudge on my back. tonight my reward may be getting in the hot tub with a glass of wine. I now see allowing myself to go to bed early, putting a hot pillow on my neck, reading a good book, buying a good face cream, sitting out back on my swing, taking a walk, or signing up for a class that interests me, ALL as rewards.

I certainly do not mean this to sound cocky but looking at my "after" picture is sometimes enough reward to keep me going.
  • tennisgirl444
    tennisgirl444 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    - Doing something I've been meaning to do but my weight is holding me back (ex. relearn how to ride a bike)

- Fun reward like a spa day, taking a day off from work and going somewhere, etc.

- Something I've been wanting to buy myself but it's too $$ to justify (or not important enough to spend money on)

- A visit/trip to see a friend or with friends

- New clothes :-D
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Congrats on being so close to a goal!!

I'd need to know you better before I knew what you'd consider a treat... but who doesn't love massage? Go with that. Actually, you should just get yourself a massage once a month, regardless of what the scale says, because you're you and that's awesome enough reason.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    these are great ideas - i too was getting tired of mani/pedi being the only thing
  • Chalk_Slinger
    Chalk_Slinger Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I always think of Agent Cooper from TWIN PEAKS who insisted we reward ourselves a little every day. While that is not the same, I did reward myself for gains. I NEVER used food as that is what ballooned me to over 400lbs, but I found other things that I loved. Sometimes it would be a new song downloaded. Others a rented film. The larger rewards came later with a new guitar and killer German-engineered headphones. For now, ten pounds warrants a nice hot bath, massage, CD or DVD, article of inexpensive clothing... but it should be rewarded. Also, maybe a nice face wash, talcum powder, soap, or consider getting hair done. Pedometer? New sneakers or insoles?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Shopping!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing an hour or so before you, and got no answers. :sad:
    Glad to see some people chiming in here. :smile:

Here's what I had:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1405918-how-do-you-celebrate-your-milestones
    Wow... I just looked at the line graph for weight tracking.
    I'm down 10 lb in the last month, 20 in the last 3 months.
    Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.
    And did I mention wow?

So how should I celebrate when I hit 50 lb lost? That's less than 3 lb away.
    I don't have much money, so things have to be cheap.
    I've already bought new bras (which was expensive, but necessary!) & taken in my pants.
    A movie?
    Go to a state park & go for a hike/picnic in a pretty place?
    Definitely will indulge in a scoop of chocolate frozen custard. I have that _maybe_ once a month, 'cause it's _soooo_ calorific.
    Dye my hair? Haven't done that since last fall.
    Do my nails?
    Get a new book & spend the afternoon in the hammock?

What do you do to celebrate?
    I'm trying to come up with fun non-food rewards.

I have a list of all my little goals - every 5 lb, every 10% down from my starting weight, every 1 point change in BMI, moving from obese II to obese I to overweight to normal.
    I don't celebrate every one, but 50 lb seems big, so I want to do something nice.
    (And yes, I'll take pictures to add to my collection.)