weight watchers vs MFP

Options

Replies

• bubsnoble
    bubsnoble Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The start of the summer I joined WW again and stayed off MFP .. I noticed I was doing it on my own, not even counting points etc I was just going in and weighing in.. I can do that at home for free... the program does work ( for me) but this also does and it is free.. right now we are on a TIGHT budget ;)
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am a veteran of weight watchers! I lost quite a bit several years ago, when they had their Core Program. I STILL Love that one today. But they renamed it and refenagled it to power foods ors omething or other. not sure what they call it now. I really liked weight watchers, especially the support I got. I went religiously to my tuesday noon time meetings, and I loved my leader. I think he helped me with my motivation and just overall morale.

Core was more a whole foods, eat clean (basically, no counting points unless you are eating outside of Core foods. So, it'd be comparable to Clean eating, paleo (maybe?), just good healthy grains, lean meats, lots of veggies and fruits. Nonfat dairy is the only thing I would greatly disagree with, even to this day. The points system is pretty easy overall. And things with same calories have different points, that just says there's difference in the other calculations, like FIBER or FAT. I wish they would consider sugar, but I don't think they've done that yet?? I'm not sure. I haven't been in about 3-4 years?

I loved WW when i did it. I did very well on it at one point. I think the support was more my boost though. If you were just doing weight watchers online, then I'd say just do MFP. If you were considering meetings, then i'd say go for it! Because you can't really get that kind of IN person support from the internet... Sorry guys! I'm just saying, having people directly in your life supporting your efforts, and giving you that boost or consoling on the gain due to whatever... or just that GOOD kick in the pants you need, It honestly can't be beat!

But I'd say, eat smartly, avoid processed foods overall, and try to find people in your life, not just here, to help with your efforts. That really is the only difference, if you aren't going to WW meetings.
  • releasingitforgood
    releasingitforgood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have done both and there are pros to each. There is a script you can find to add to your browser that enables you to keep track of WW points within MFP. However, you can't use it on the app on the phone, so I'm tracking on the WW app (which is ridiculously huge, bulky and crazy slow), but still tracking weight and exercise here. I do not agree with how WW counts ActivityPoints (exercise) and had lost almost 100 lbs on WW and hit a plateau and stayed there for almost 9 months in large part due to how WW teaches people to count those. So, I revert to calories for exercise and if I'm truly ravenous and need something more, I'll swap calories.

I do really like their PointsPlus program. I think it teaches habits I still severely lack - moderation, portion control - I still really struggle with those and emotional eating. I think the meetings make me accountable and as great as knowing this community is here 24 hours a day, there's something about being in a room with others going through similar that's incredibly helpful, inspirational and motivational (for me at least).

I think it boils down to personal preference and whichever program seems to work best for you.

I'm editing this to add that many have mentioned the price of WW, but once you hit Lifetime (reach your goal), you no longer have to pay and as long as you weigh-in once a month and are still at or around your goal (I think you have a couple pounds leeway, but since I'm still not close, I'm not sure), you also get their meetings, e-Tools (website access) and phone apps for free.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do both WW and MFP. I find that WW points and their informational tools ("cheat sheets") help me navigate decisions about food choices. They favor eating things that are filling, with low glycemic index, things that are not captured strictly by calorie counting. They encourage participants to eat more fruits and vegetables, less carbohydrates and alcohol (ok, an oversimplification, but you get the idea). In the past I focused only on calories, but then made poor food choices. I would stay within my calorie budget, but eat high calorie foods. I was always hungry because the food wasn't filling.

I still like knowing how many calories I'm taking in - it makes for an interesting comparison, so I am tracking both. Long term, I imagine I would stick with MFP once I reach goal weight.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem that I had with it when I did WW last year was their food database. I don't know how it is now but it was in serious need of an update. Actually I noticed their site hadn't changed at all from when I did it in 2008. I ended up on MFP double tracking for 3 weeks just to track my macros because you can't get that information while tracking on WW. When I seen how much better it is here (the food database and the forums) I cancelled my WW subscription.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Not better, not worse, just different.
    If you need extra support and/or extra accountability, then the meetings are incredibly valuable. Not cheap though.
    If you prefer the points system, it is very easy to do at home without paying for meetings or paying for the online stuff. There are a million free apps out there that will provide you with the points calculator. And you don't need access to their database, all you need is the calculator and you can figure out the points for anything (as long as the nutritional info is provided, of course). In my years at WW, I never bothered with their food database.
    I have done Weight Watchers a few times. Twice I lost large amounts of weight. (I gained it back, but it wasn't Weight Watchers fault, it was mine, obviously).
    I personally preferred it before they changed it (in 2010). To figure out points, it used to be calories, fat and fiber. Now it's carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. I liked the old way, just personal preference. And I don't like fruit and veggies being 0 points. I don't think that's a good idea. A friend of mine was doing WW and couldn't figure out why she wasn't losing weight...yeah, she was eating all her daily points plus 2-3 bananas, a bowlful of grapes, and a couple of apples every day.
    Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I have nothing negative to really say about Weight Watchers, but right now I feel like MFP is the place for me.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I lost 32 lbs. on WW and never gained back an ounce. I joined MFP because it was free not because WW didn't work for me. I have used many of the same principles I learned from WW when I joined MFP and never had a problem with regaining weight because of the transition. Both programs are excellent if people take the time to learn to use them correctly. Both could be carried into the maintenance phase.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I prefer WW because I find it easier to track, however some of your favorite foods will be more in points than in calories because WW is so concerned about fat. For example, easy for me to fit a chipotle burrito bowl in my calories, but at 15 points even for a healthy veggie bowl and only 26 pts a day on WW it makes it more difficult to eat that.

I also like that I can still eat fruits or veggies if Im hungry at the end of the day, where as on MFP, if you go over your calories no more food for you. That's hard for me, so I think it's just preference. I can tell you the message boards and user support is way better on MFP.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem that I had with it when I did WW last year was their food database. I don't know how it is now but it was in serious need of an update. Actually I noticed their site hadn't changed at all from when I did it in 2008. I ended up on MFP double tracking for 3 weeks just to track my macros because you can't get that information while tracking on WW. When I seen how much better it is here (the food database and the forums) I cancelled my WW subscription.
    I did a couple months back on WW earlier this year. Their site and database suck still. I even complained to corporate. They should be ashamed of charging for that. I'm a lifetime member and would love to have the motivation of getting the apps free but since they're so bad I don't want to use them, even for free.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I think WW is good for somebody that was previously clueless about nutrition and needs help to get started. The point system probably isn't the best but it's very good for somebody that doesn't know better. Plus, many people need the group meetings for positive reinforcement. It's embarrassing to go and say... "I gained 5lbs since the last meeting", so it's further encouragement to stick with the plan. I think that in the long-term, most people will need something else to help teach them better nutrition for life.

Just my opinion... But I think the group atmosphere is what makes WW's better than MFP. Again, individuals feel some kind of accountability or at least the desire to avoid public humiliation in group. On MFP, people can report in and hide behind a monitor so it's not really the same, generally speaking of course.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Sam- I agree with you 100% on the accountability factor. But just for the record, WW doesn't humiliate and no one announces their weight gain or even losses, unless they choose to. Even the person who weighs you is trained to be pretty non-reactive to your gain/loss and they never say it aloud for others to hear, at least in my experience. They write it on your record card and hand it back to you. If you've lost you might get a quiet "down this week, nice" comment or something like that. Though in the group part people can raise their hands to volunteer to share their victories and get a little clap and star sticker.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have done both and the main difference is that WW is strictly points and MFP is calories and macros. I found that I was not eating as balanced as I should on WW because I was going for the most bulk for my points and i was low on fat and protein, which I discovered when I lost about 1/3 of my hair. MFP works better for me because I can keep track of the nutritional value of my food better.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes! I mean, if youre going to count something...count calories..and youre not making someone at the top of the chain rich :)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Well the only issue with Weight Watchers is you have to stay on that diet. Once you go off the diet, the results won't last. Where as if you can develop a plan that can fit your lifestyle for good, you will be able to use the common sense that you've learned for the rest of your life. For instance, I've gotten in the routine of eating oats and turkey on wheat, and fruits and veggies. Those are things I will use as go2 foods for the rest of my life, where as with Weight Watchers, it might not be easy to stay on that forever.

Do you even know what WW is? It is eating real foods in a real life setting and counting the calories by assigned point values. I think you are mixing them up with Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, and others that provide you with the foods you eat rather than teach you how to choose your own foods.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have done both and the main difference is that WW is strictly points and MFP is calories and macros. I found that I was not eating as balanced as I should on WW because I was going for the most bulk for my points and i was low on fat and protein, which I discovered when I lost about 1/3 of my hair. MFP works better for me because I can keep track of the nutritional value of my food better.

Um, what kinds of foods were you basing your diet on?

I'm not necessarily pro-WW, but to imply that following their point guideline would cause you to lose hair?

Admittedly, some basic nutritional education is required (like the kind you get in elementary school), but what kind of crap would you have to be eating to have such a severe deficiency when at your recommended intake?

Yes, doughnuts are fine (in moderation). That doesn't mean one should focus their diet on them.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    The points calc favors protein and fiber. It does penalize fat and alcohol. The program includes guidelines to include at least 2t. of healthy oils in your diet per day.

You can view the points formula in Wikipedia, if anyone has a lot of interest in it.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Um, what kinds of foods were you basing your diet on?

I'm not necessarily pro-WW, but to imply that following their point guideline would cause you to lose hair?

Admittedly, some basic nutritional education is required (like the kind you get in elementary school), but what kind of crap would you have to be eating to have such a severe deficiency when at your recommended intake?

Yes, doughnuts are fine (in moderation). That doesn't mean one should focus their diet on them.

What i was trying to say was that I was going for maximum volume for the daily points so I would avoid calorie dense foods like fats and some proteins. I was eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains, non fat dairy, and small amounts of very lean protein. Things like cheese and peanut butter were avoided. Snacks were usually light popcorn or veggies with fat free dip. For the fun of it, I found one of my old weekly logs and entered the data into MFP. My calories averaged about 1400 and my macros were generally about 10% fat, 20% protein, and 70% carbs. Contrast that with my MFP goals which are 35% protein, 30% fat, and 35% carbs.

ETA: With the points system, it is easy to go off track nutrition -wise if you don't stay on top of things. Perhaps it is better now, but this is how it was back when I was with them.
  • MissieMay_515513
    MissieMay_515513 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers and found I was losing about 0.5lbs per week if any loss at all which I found a bit demotivating. You also have to pay!!!

MFP is free last time I did this after initial good losses I was consistently losing at least 1lb per week. I also feel more in control as I know exactly how much I am eating.

MFP also has a better database and the barcode scanner!!
  • laoliviabeachbum
    laoliviabeachbum Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do both and there are positives and negative with both.

Weight Watchers - the weigh in, provides good motivation, paying for it, again good motivation for me. You can't eat as much on WW so you do lose weight quicker. They don't count calories in fruit and veg though and a lot of things are 'rounded up' so its not an exact science.
    MFP, Its free! motivation from a good friends list, promotes good health from knowing your macros and micros, but then there is the possibility to cheat yourself and not log properly.